Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dychem for marking cartridges

aplthird

I shoot 10mm at an outdoor range.  I am looking to use dychem spray to mark them.  I have some loaded rounds I would like to mark.  If I stand the cartridges vertically and spray the top , bullet  and part of the upper case would this be safe to do.?  I would not spray the primer.

I've used it on empty brass, not loaded ammo and it works, but makes a mess as it rubs off during loading and firing so only about half of it stays on the case.  I would not spray the bullet or case mouth since that could cause inconsistent sizing and chambering.

If all you've got is spray and not a lot of rounds to do, spray some into a cup or container of some sort and use a Q-tip to wipe it onto the cases and you'll probably get better effectiveness.

25 minutes ago, Farmer said:

If it’s already loaded shouldn’t be a problem but as shred stated it does rub off. Are you just looking for something to mark your brass for retrieval? 

Yes something easier and more visible then sharpie.  Is it a stuiped idea to spray the primer end after loading them?  Will it hurt the primer?

Edited by aplthird

You may try a few, I don’t know how it will survive the trip through the chamber and the heat may discolor it enough to make it non visible. I’ve used brass black to mark certain cases but that makes them hard to find in gravel. I think everyone’s been searching for a decent coloring method. 

40 minutes ago, aplthird said:

Yes something easier and more visible then sharpie.  Is it a stuiped idea to spray the primer end after loading them?  Will it hurt the primer?

If the primer pockets are normal, no problem. That stuff dries pretty quick. I did a test where I took some loaded 38 special and set them upright in a tray of WD40 for a week. It actually took some of the nickel off the cases but every one of them fired just fine. 

If this is just for practice sessions at the range, I bought the biggest tarp Home Depot sells.

Then I went to Harbor Freight (this was pre-covid) and bought like 8 or 10 of the same flat bladed screw driver.

The ground or bay “floor” is usually soft enough that I can push the screw driver through tge grommets to stake the tarp down.

At end of practice session, fold tarp half ways north-south.  Then unfold.  The fold tarp half-ways east-west.  Brass ends up in the middle.  I use a broom and dust pan to sweep it up.

6 hours ago, aplthird said:

No, it won't hurt the primer.  I have used Dykem, both spray and pens on caseheads for thousands of rounds with no problem, before I switched to using MarksALot permanent markers with my old BrassMaster Case Stripers

brassmasterdouble2.jpg

Modern primers are surprisingly hard to disable short of removing the anvil or not seating them deep enough.  I think all of the cautions about oils, moisture, etc... are leftovers from earlier generations of primers.

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

I have brushed it over the case head and primer for over 40 years without issue, just like many have for decades before me. I don't like the idea of coating the sides as it might leave residue behind in the chamber.

• 3 weeks later...

I was marking mt 38 Super Comp brass with a thick red Sharpie using the DAA brass marker. What a mess that made. The red ink from the Sharpie get all over the inside of the gun, the magazines....it get everywhere, and from loading mags it gets all over my fingers too! f*#k it, I'd rather lose the brass than have everything look like it ate red pistachios.

Dykem on the sides of the case does that and worse.  It's easy to apply, but everything gets a red tinge-- hands, shirt, shooting bag, grips, even the gunk you clean out of the extractor tunnel.

Rubs off a bit less if you size the brass, then color it, then size it again and load, but more hassle.  Something I don't miss at all when shooting 9.

• 3 weeks later...