Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SO, why no Super Super Senior Class? USPSA

mikeAZ

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

They know they are in the overall, they just don't feel their level of physical ability has devolved to a point where they feel they should be receiving special recognition.

I think they deserve special recognition for keeping their level of physical ability up to the point where their age isn't a disadvantage.

If Todd Jarrett and Rob Leatham can check the box, I can too, lol.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I think changing the ages for senior and super senior would make more sense.  I know many shooters that will not check the senior box because they are still reasonably competitive in their division as is. 

when these ages were selected the game was MUCH more physical. I think 60 for senior and 70 for super senior would make way more sense in todays world.

This seems like a very reasonable idea, and would be easy enough to implement. 

20 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

when these ages were selected the game was MUCH more physical. I think 60 for senior and 70 for super senior would make way more sense in todays world.

Mike, can you explain this a little.

From what I've been told, the old days were basically shooting from box to box.

I've been told by older guys that have been doing this a while that today's stages are track meets.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I've been told by older guys that have been doing this a while that today's stages are track meets.

Thanks

They climbed over walls, jumped things, did somersaults, crawled in real tunnels and had further runs that you see in any uspsa match. Not quite tactical games but more so than today. Standing in the elements is the hardest part physically of matches today.

I remember the old days well, and the shooting sports have really changed, becoming more of a track meet that a shooting event.  Some of us old guys simply can't maneuver the way the young crowd can.  

I admire those that are still shooting.  Why not recognize them for their efforts?

Times change and we need to change with them.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

They climbed over walls, jumped things, did somersaults, crawled in real tunnels and had further runs that you see in any uspsa match. Not quite tactical games but more so than today. Standing in the elements is the hardest part physically of matches today.

Pretty close, had movement and faster was still better... I don't think there was much weak hand shooting. No 2011's, 9x21 & 38 Super for major. LOTS of P9's and that family later ...38 Super & the 9/10 shot mag began to evolve into 9 x 21 and higher capacity guns. Geco nickel brass was a favorite. Mags were generally about 17 rounds and not as reliable as today's (springs).. Pretty easy to knock the sticks off in the Cooper's tunnel (gun butt hitting). Rob Leatham and Brian Enos were the top shooters. It was pretty easy to fly with a gun and lf you put your ammo in Factory boxes, no questions... Mike

Edited by mikeAZ
spelling

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Thanks

I think rowdyb summed it up pretty well. 

I'll add that Box to Box movement, especially with non hoser targets, is actually more about raw acceleration/deceleration and speed than what you typically see in matches today, now we tend to have targets to shoot on our way into and or out of position, this all leads to raw sprinting ability being less important now than then.  

23 minutes ago, RJH said:

So it's not just millennials that want a participation ribbon? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think if there's a significant amount of people in your age group, it's not really a participation ribbon anymore. If theres only 5, yeah, not that big a deal. But if there are 25 (like at SS nationals), then I personally think it's legit.

32 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I think if there's a significant amount of people in your age group, it's not really a participation ribbon anymore. If theres only 5, yeah, not that big a deal. But if there are 25 (like at SS nationals), then I personally think it's legit.

I just find it ironic that boomers are quick to gripe about millennials wanting participation ribbons, when in reality they are just as bad 😂😂

👴 "Give me my ribbon and some pudding" 🤣🤣🤣

👴 "Check out my ribbon, I just won D class, super senior, lady, law enforcement, L10" 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by RJH

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I just find it ironic that boomers are quick to gripe about millennials wanting participation ribbons, when in reality they are just as bad 😂😂

👴 "Give me my ribbon and some pudding" 🤣🤣🤣

👴 "Check out my ribbon, I just won D class, super senior, lady, law enforcement, L10" 🤣🤣🤣

A victory in an age graded competition is hardly a participation trophy.

There are any number of legitimate sports in which masters categories are well respected and those who succeed are considered legit champions. 

National champions, world champions.

Are those accomplishments on the same level as those from open competition? I don't think anybody would say that.

Swimming and bicycle racing come to mind. There are many more.

43 minutes ago, ddc said:

A victory in an age graded competition is hardly a participation trophy.

There are any number of legitimate sports in which masters categories are well respected and those who succeed are considered legit champions. 

National champions, world champions.

Are those accomplishments on the same level as those from open competition? I don't think anybody would say that.

Swimming and bicycle racing come to mind. There are many more.

I have "won" an age grouped bike race before. But even though I "won," I knew I was really 4th place.  I did get my ribbon though, and that is what was important 😂😂

I was much happier being 4th out of 100+ riders than 1st old guy. But even that was false, because I was really 2nd older guy since a guy in the next older age group beat me. See how worthless my "win" was. My 4th place was pretty solid though 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I have "won" an age grouped bike race before. But even though I "won," I knew I was really 4th place.  I did get my ribbon though, and that is what was important 😂😂

I was much happier being 4th out of 100+ riders than 1st old guy. But even that was false, because I was really 2nd older guy since a guy in the next older age group beat me. See how worthless my "win" was. My 4th place was pretty solid though 

If you want to classify your achievements as "worthless" then I guess that is your business. I won't try to talk you out of it.

Come on, man.  Are we going to have to start posting sarcasm/humor emoji's in posts so people don't take them so seriously?  Seriously?

One of the funniest things I've heard was at a 3 Gun match late in the Pandemic while I was making ready when I overheard someone in the peanut gallery say

"Geez, it looks like Santa Claus is shooting 3 Gun now!"  Yea, I had the Pandemic beard going.  Yea, it took me a bit to recover enough to finish making ready.

So, I vote we have a Santa Claus category!

Nolan

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

Come on, man.  Are we going to have to start posting sarcasm/humor emoji's in posts so people don't take them so seriously?  Seriously?

One of the funniest things I've heard was at a 3 Gun match late in the Pandemic while I was making ready when I overheard someone in the peanut gallery say

"Geez, it looks like Santa Claus is shooting 3 Gun now!"  Yea, I had the Pandemic beard going.  Yea, it took me a bit to recover enough to finish making ready.

So, I vote we have a Santa Claus category!

Nolan

I didn't want the olds to grab their pitchforks,so I figured the emojis were mandatory 😂