Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Max holster

rowdyb

Used mine (320) this weekend, seems to be a much smoother draw than the PDR pro 2 I was using when I say smoother I mean little to no resistance from the holster, the lock works as advertised if you tighten the knob the gun isnt coming out. Even without the locking knob tightened it has enough retention for normal stage wandering.

Is it worth the extra $$ over the PDR pro 2 time will tell but at this stage I'd say yes.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/21/2022 at 12:06 AM, terrydoc said:

Used mine (320) this weekend, seems to be a much smoother draw than the PDR pro 2 I was using when I say smoother I mean little to no resistance from the holster, the lock works as advertised if you tighten the knob the gun isnt coming out. Even without the locking knob tightened it has enough retention for normal stage wandering.

Is it worth the extra $$ over the PDR pro 2 time will tell but at this stage I'd say yes.  

Nice! Glad to hear!

*side note* 3-5 weeks on the Tevo rest for the p320

On 8/22/2022 at 11:37 PM, mrvip27 said:

Nice! Glad to hear!

*side note* 3-5 weeks on the Tevo rest for the p320

Do we know if this will work with the Tevo Rest Installed?  Also curious how the new Ghost Hydra P+ compares.

4 hours ago, clw42 said:

Do we know if this will work with the Tevo Rest Installed?  Also curious how the new Ghost Hydra P+ compares.

I don't think we will know yet until he releases it.

But seeing how they usually design their stuff (Back and up) and seeing the Odin rest working with slight mods, I am hoping it will be similar.

3 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

I don't think we will know yet until he releases it.

But seeing how they usually design their stuff (Back and up) and seeing the Odin rest working with slight mods, I am hoping it will be similar.

Okay, thanks. 

I just received my pre-ordered holster today.  Excellent fit and finish as I expected from DAA but it did take a few dozen draws to break in.  The front serrations had to eat away a bit of material as it was tight on the upper corners of the slide of my S2.  As for retention it quickly adjusts from completely locked in to a smooth but faint click release.  I wouldn't say it never fully loosens up gun bucket style like a traditional kaydex holster can but I no way feels like it trying to bind either.  The ball joint mount is best part as I can move the holster a bit forward but also angle the gun out at the proper angle.  The only negative about the Max is that it does weigh about twice as much as my old kydex holster with aluminum hanger.  The steel/aluminum hanger is stout but also rock solid and great for heavy guns. 

20220905_143230.jpg

Edited by NWfront

7 hours ago, NWfront said:

I just received my pre-ordered holster today.  Excellent fit and finish as I expected from DAA but it did take a few dozen draws to break in.  The front serrations had to eat away a bit of material as it was tight on the upper corners of the slide of my S2.  As for retention it quickly adjusts from completely locked in to a smooth but faint click release.  I wouldn't say it never fully loosens up gun bucket style like a traditional kaydex holster can but I no way feels like it trying to bind either.  The ball joint mount is best part as I can move the holster a bit forward but also angle the gun out at the proper angle.  The only negative about the Max is that it does weigh about twice as much as my old kydex holster with aluminum hanger.  The steel/aluminum hanger is stout but also rock solid and great for heavy guns. 

20220905_143230.jpg

Looks good.. Just looks like it sits higher than I would probably like as I run my holster just low enough to be legal.

I am sure it has to do with the mounting part to the holster being down lower than rather up high.

1 hour ago, Sinister4 said:

Got mine today for my wifes 320max, really a sweet holster and can be cut for any thumb rest easy,  and locks gun in solid if need be for sure

How low can you get the grip above the belt? Or does it ride high?

Just got one for my P320. It looks like at it lowest it still rides > 0.5 inch higher than with my Boss Hanger. I sent it back to them.

That being said the hanger and ball joint are very solid. They could have made it .5 - .75 longer without sacrificing anything.  R&D?

I was not really impressed with the holster body. It was ok, just a bit clunky looking, thick material compared to kydex. 

The retention was ok and could really clamp down on the gun firmly. It did take a lot of rotations of the dial to get it loose again.

Edited by hiflyer51
additional info

Yup totally agree, the rods need to be ¾ of a inch longer for sure, just rides ½ inch to high, zero reason they could not have made the rods longer, sad as its a great design other than that

Its for my wifes 320max and I may just make longer rods for the thing if she likes it, bit of a pain as the top pin holes are blind and the rods metric size to boot, oh well 

FYI  here is the reply from double alpha on the length   

"

Thanks for your feedback. We felt the rods were long enough, all our testing showed they were. Lower down goes to illegal position for most gun types/angles.

The longer the rods, the less comfortable the lean position on the leg, and the more flex introduced. All our experienced showed these rods were the right length. "

Edited by Sinister4

They were probably trying to find a balance of being able to angle the gun back while still being above the belt line. It is just probably exaggerated if you run near vertical.

Does anyone have a pic of its lowest point?

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I got mine today and just an at the bench review I like it and will switch to it.

Never having expected it then I'll have all daa stuff for belt, pouches and holster.

Pics on the belt please :)

Things I'm not happy with, even if they aren't a big deal.

• it comes in a nice container but has no instructions. what am i supposed to store in this glorified sunglasses case? What if it was your first holster and you couldn't intuit what to do?
  • the hosler body feels very plasticy kind of cheap.
  • the bolt for the ball joint really doesn' snug down as I'd wish. be nice if there was a published torque spec in instructions that came in the box....
  • you can assemble the two halves backwards and have it still kind of work but the clearances are off a little. this is a mistake.
  • the design "look" isn't the same as the other "high end" alpha x pouches I'm running. doesn't appear to be a unifying design. they don't look like "a set".
  • i have medium sized hand and my draw hand thumb doesn't have much clearance between the gun and the hanger.

Things I'm reasonably happy with.

• The ball joint provides enough angle to get what I wanted out of its adjustment range.
  • using a g17 in a g34 holster works just fine.
  • the thumb wheel does let you make easy and rapid retention adjustments. my default setting for drawing the pistol was essentially all the way loose.
  • it came almost completely assembled. you just needed to attach the holster half to the hanger half.
  • it is comfortable.

Will I keep using it? Yes, though I list many negatives they're not enough of the type for me to immediately discount the product. Nor is it perfect and I'm buying another right away.

You get a holster and adjustable hanger for 140 bucks. The holsters I usually use are 70 bucks. The boss hanger is 40? Then I have a prototype ball joint mount that would cost another 30 to 50? So yeah, if you had to replicate it the price is competitive. But right now it just needs to see some real usage before a final opinion, not fact, opinion is made.

Edited by rowdyb