Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Open Gun builder?


Overkill66
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have recently purchased a Chezmate in 9mm for an open gun. I have been very unhappy. It jammed right out of the box even after several thousand rounds so I sent it to a local gunsmith and he got to function much better, although it still occasionally fails to go all the way into lockup with factor new full power loads. The trigger was creepy so I had that done. The next problem is that after about 4 or 5 magazines full of ammo it drops point of impact about 5 inches and about one inch to the right! Let it cool off and it is back to zero again, My other guns do no do this. It does this with either barrel. It is going back to CZ.

 

I am sick of this gun. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to get a 2011 open gun built that is excellent. Who that is actualling taking work can I contact to build me a very high quality gun that will actually shoot well so I can concentrate on shooting instead of gunsmithing? Thanks for your thoughts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Overkill66 said:

I have recently purchased a Chezmate in 9mm for an open gun. I have been very unhappy. It jammed right out of the box even after several thousand rounds so I sent it to a local gunsmith and he got to function much better, although it still occasionally fails to go all the way into lockup with factor new full power loads. The trigger was creepy so I had that done. The next problem is that after about 4 or 5 magazines full of ammo it drops point of impact about 5 inches and about one inch to the right! Let it cool off and it is back to zero again, My other guns do no do this. It does this with either barrel. It is going back to CZ.

 

I am sick of this gun. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to get a 2011 open gun built that is excellent. Who that is actualling taking work can I contact to build me a very high quality gun that will actually shoot well so I can concentrate on shooting instead of gunsmithing? Thanks for your thoughts!

Do you have a Budget??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Have you tuned the mags for the czechmate? That usually solves majority of feeding problems

 

What's your budget for a 2011?

 

 

This was my first thought. I haven't had any feed issues since tuning my mags.

 

POI shift seems like a frame mount/optic issue.

Edited by BRuss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have opened pandoras box with this question and fundamentally need to set yourself a budget, but if I was buying a New 2011 Open, and had a modest budget, then I would go Carne, Venom and D2 Customs, or get a Brazos Semi Custom (from 1911 store) for sub $5k but you will need to check the wait times as this will probably be a deciding factor also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sonic52 said:

You have opened pandoras box with this question and fundamentally need to set yourself a budget, but if I was buying a New 2011 Open, and had a modest budget, then I would go Carne, Venom and D2 Customs, or get a Brazos Semi Custom (from 1911 store) for sub $5k but you will need to check the wait times as this will probably be a deciding factor also.

Thanks, i am willing to spens $8,000 to get the gun I want. I just need to know it will work as I hope, not spend another season getting it right. Thank you for you help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

Have you tuned the mags for the czechmate? That usually solves majority of feeding problems

 

What's your budget for a 2011?

 

 

I have not tuned the mags but I am not having any more feeding problems just an occasional failure of the slide to go all the wayinto lock up about the last 1/2 inch. I am willing to spend in the $8,000 range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just ordered a sc open from brazos, they're saying 4-5 months.  bil got one a few months back and it's pretty nice and a flat shooter.   it looks pretty nice but doesn't have the bling of some of the true customs but i'm more of a function over form guy though not bad to have both.  i have a brazos hp edge from years back that hasn't had a single malf with major pf ammo, not sure what if anything major they did, but whatever they did is working.  for me, brazos is more of a known than all the others who i'm sure are great but i just don't have experience with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Overkill66 said:

I have not tuned the mags but I am not having any more feeding problems just an occasional failure of the slide to go all the wayinto lock up about the last 1/2 inch. I am willing to spend in the $8,000 range.

Grams Engineering in CA will replace the springs and followers and tune the mags so that they run flawlessly.

From a CM cost to $8K is a huge gap. You can expect great open pistols for that price, but a very long wait.

If you want to spend $4K, check out the Bul Armory SAS ll UR range of open pistols. 2-4 months wait, but much faster than a custom open pistol.

Love to see what you decided to buy. Please post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

I would really consider an SVI, I have one and they run like with wind.. 8 to 10 months lead time. 

I believe it’s longer than that. 
 

when I was looking venom was 5-6 months 

limcat was 3-4 months. 
 

that’s where I stopped

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...