Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does choke tube brand matter?

Pickin

Hello All

Looking to get an extended set of tubes for my m2 for 3gun. Factory ones work great just want the extended for ease of removal due to the extended mag tube. 

Does brand name matter?  Such as Briley vs Muller vs Carlson etc...? Is anyone better than the other like material wise and longevity? Price difference is $100 for a basic set of 3.  

Briley is the big name in the 3 gun world.  I am not being paid to play the sport, it's just a hobby.  So do I really need to spend the $$$ or can I get away with the $$ and get something else.

Carlson's have been doing just fine for years. I'm sure someone with a patterning board and all day to count holes could prove that spending more gains you something, but good luck proving that it makes a difference in 3 gun.

I have patterned Carlson, factory Benelli, Briley, or Pure Gold.  The Pure Gold pattern tighter and when we tried buckshot, was the only brand to put more pellets on target than the other brands.  Its a small company from SC that does some sponsorship in the carolinas (I don't know about other places) and Pure Gold is popular here.  There spreader chokes also are efficacious.  I have not patterned any other brand of spreader type choke.

I highly recommend shooters pattern all there chokes at various distances for 3 gun.  I disagree that light mod for 90% of shooting in 3 gun is an effective strategy.  I change chokes a lot.

If I was shooting distance like duck hunting, I would get Pure Gold.  I have met guys that hunt deer with buck shot and dogs and they pattern every brand trying to find what works best for that mission, also turkey hunters that have patterned a lot of chokes.

In summation, I guess my experience is most chokes are very close, with Pure Gold being a little better.

7 hours ago, 12glocks said:

I have patterned Carlson, factory Benelli, Briley, or Pure Gold.  The Pure Gold pattern tighter and when we tried buckshot, was the only brand to put more pellets on target than the other brands.  Its a small company from SC that does some sponsorship in the carolinas (I don't know about other places) and Pure Gold is popular here.  There spreader chokes also are efficacious.  I have not patterned any other brand of spreader type choke.

I highly recommend shooters pattern all there chokes at various distances for 3 gun.  I disagree that light mod for 90% of shooting in 3 gun is an effective strategy.  I change chokes a lot.

If I was shooting distance like duck hunting, I would get Pure Gold.  I have met guys that hunt deer with buck shot and dogs and they pattern every brand trying to find what works best for that mission, also turkey hunters that have patterned a lot of chokes.

In summation, I guess my experience is most chokes are very close, with Pure Gold being a little better.

I do switch out my chokes depending on what the stage calls for. I have my factory ones patterned.

So this is kinda like buying a car. All go from point A to B, just slight differences in each?  Any choke will get the job done, just need to pick what I like.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:56 AM, 12glocks said:

I disagree that light mod for 90% of shooting in 3 gun is an effective strategy.  I change chokes a lot.

Agree 100%. There is a significant time advantage to be found when running by static clays with a spreader and pulling the trigger without so much as a hint of a sight picture vs. deliberately pointing the gun and needing to see both the target and the bead with a light mod.

Unfortunately MD's in my area seem to have negated my spreader choke by putting some 20+ yard heavy steel in every stage that has clays. 

"I disagree that light mod for 90% of shooting in 3 gun is an effective strategy"...... You are right! Light mod for 100% of shotgun shooting is a very effective strategy! 

On 7/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, TonytheTiger said:

Unfortunately MD's in my area seem to have negated my spreader choke by putting some 20+ yard heavy steel in every stage that has clays. 

The ones near me do this because it makes for more challenging shots on the clays for the open guys. My strategy in tac ops is just to shoot clays from further away if I can (it can’t always be avoided though). No reason not to shoot a clay from 30-40 yds if you’re running a mod choke.

But folks in this thread are right; chokes are (or should be) a big part of the shotgun game. The MD put that spinner that far out for a reason. I’ve found the brand of the choke doesn’t matter as sizes are standardized, but extended chokes are a must for quick changes. I have a set I paid like $70 for 5 extended chokes and they’ve worked fine.

edit: found the set I bought, prices went up but that’s not a shock. https://sjhardware.us/product/extended-choke-tube-set-mobil-choke-thread-pattern/

Edited by Luna
Added link

yes, choke brand matters. they are not all created equal. in a lot of years of shotgunning, ive come to where if i buy a choke tube, it will be a Briley. there are other excellent makers, but for me with a Briley, i know what to expect from a given tube restriction.

7 hours ago, Luna said:

The ones near me do this because it makes for more challenging shots on the clays for the open guys. My strategy in tac ops is just to shoot clays from further away if I can (it can’t always be avoided though). No reason not to shoot a clay from 30-40 yds if you’re running a mod choke.

Oh I definitely try to shoot clays from the max allowable distance when I'm choked up. But it's not always an option, especially when it's a toaster clay at 7 yards that only goes 6 feet high.

"But folks in this thread are right; chokes are (or should be) a big part of the shotgun game."

In the context of action shooting, if you really think this is a skill needed, we need to start doing this on the clock. We could test who can select the proper choke and change it the fastest as targets are presented. Maybe some heavy targets at range and some very close clays and you can't shoot the same choke at both targets. We could pioneer the Quick Lock choke system that lock in in less than a quarter turn. There would have to be mandatory safety flagging while changing choke, which also should be a large part of the shotgun game...... Speed flagging and unflagging. 

3 hours ago, kurtm said:

"But folks in this thread are right; chokes are (or should be) a big part of the shotgun game."

In the context of action shooting, if you really think this is a skill needed, we need to start doing this on the clock. We could test who can select the proper choke and change it the fastest as targets are presented. Maybe some heavy targets at range and some very close clays and you can't shoot the same choke at both targets. We could pioneer the Quick Lock choke system that lock in in less than a quarter turn. There would have to be mandatory safety flagging while changing choke, which also should be a large part of the shotgun game...... Speed flagging and unflagging. 

Huh? Tell that to the MDs who put a star or spinner 30 yards past the end of the ffz. I personally like the challenge; means you have to be dead on with those clays 5 feet in front of you and not just hose everything down with a cylinder choke (though those stages are fun too). It’s just another wrinkle to stage planning. If you want easy go back to USPSA 🙃

Well, to kind of burst this here "best choke" bubble, or at least bruise it deeply. I maintain that shell selection makes a far bigger difference in pattern than most chokes! And no I'm not talking about mixing up a whole bunch of different shell for a given stage. I'm talking about wad finger stiffness, hull composition, consistency of materials used, hardness of the shot, etc. And yes, I have done bunches of testing! For example, the older Federal Gold Medal match had a fairly stiff wad and a very consistent hull. Compared to WW gray hulled premium loads it would hold a pattern similar to the WW with 2 less steps of constriction. The Federal load patterned just like a full choke pattern with the WW using a light modified choke. That's a teaser for you all, and for the record I didn't come from USPSA, so I can't go back, nor do I recommend cylinder bore for anything...... Nor do I recommend anyone change chokes. But if you do, don't change them in small increments in the action shooting sports!!!! 

I honestly have trouble finding a consistent supply of any brand / type of shotgun shells and I burn through them pretty fast during the 3 gun season between 4 matches a month and practice sessions. Guess I just need to buy a few thousand at the beginning of the season and pattern them then. Hopefully supplies will be more consistent now that the supply chain crunches seem to be settling down.

Your star at 30 yards is a LM target. No problems. The spinner could be an issue but still a LM choked target.  Pick the correct shell. 1 1/8 ounce 7.5 shot 1200 fps. Learn how your gun works. How it patterns. Spinner is a timing shot. 

I am a match director. You have to challenge you shooters. Or they won't come back. Actually have a setup gun to test target setup.  The star plates can be knocked down/ off . With a cylinder bore 18 inch Mossberg 500.

56 minutes ago, AHI said:

Pick the correct shell.

Well that's not helpful. I've been buying everything on the shelf for two years and most of it is not exactly the load I'd prefer. 

Also, when I started as an MD I bought a star for personal use and testing. They are not all the same. There are stars that release plates easier than others, some take a full choke at 25 yards if you want to have a chance at it. The very next could be a LM at 30. Presentation matters a lot too, some stage builders don't take the time or don't care to get difficult targets perpendicular to the shooting area and that can make a huge difference.

54 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Not sure where you live, but if you go to the Federal website you can buy direct. Kind of on the expensive side, but available in quantity. I have run these in our VR80's and my son's Benelli. Different shot sizes available.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/federal-target/

gerritm

In the US, but my gun tends to prefer hotter loads; 1 1/8 @  1200 fps is about as low as it will go and still shoot reliably. I generally go for 3 1/4 dram shells just shoot a dogs lunch of whatever is in stock.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Well that's not helpful. I've been buying everything on the shelf for two years and most of it is not exactly the load I'd prefer. 

Also, when I started as an MD I bought a star for personal use and testing. They are not all the same. There are stars that release plates easier than others, some take a full choke at 25 yards if you want to have a chance at it. The very next could be a LM at 30. Presentation matters a lot too, some stage builders don't take the time or don't care to get difficult targets perpendicular to the shooting area and that can make a huge difference.

I test every target presentation that may require something special. To make sure the target is doable with a LM. Including my famous 50 yard clay on a stick. As someone else started. If you pattern your gun . There's readably available shells. That produce tighter patterns than others.  There are shells that produce more open patterns. Last two years I have loaded my own. 

When there's any questions on a shotgun course. I will shoot first. Most can not believe how I make the long range shots. With only a LM choke. (Could be all that sporting clays that I also shoot) As a general rule. This does very from gun to gun. Winchester shells produce more open patterns. Federal tends to have tighter patterns. Remington somewhere between. Rio shells (higher velocity ones) and Benelli don't get along pattern wise. Like more open than cylinder even if using full.  So pick you shell based on patterns.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

14 hours ago, kurtm said:

Well, to kind of burst this here "best choke" bubble, or at least bruise it deeply. I maintain that shell selection makes a far bigger difference in pattern than most chokes! And no I'm not talking about mixing up a whole bunch of different shell for a given stage. I'm talking about wad finger stiffness, hull composition, consistency of materials used, hardness of the shot, etc. And yes, I have done bunches of testing! For example, the older Federal Gold Medal match had a fairly stiff wad and a very consistent hull. Compared to WW gray hulled premium loads it would hold a pattern similar to the WW with 2 less steps of constriction. The Federal load patterned just like a full choke pattern with the WW using a light modified choke. That's a teaser for you all, and for the record I didn't come from USPSA, so I can't go back, nor do I recommend cylinder bore for anything...... Nor do I recommend anyone change chokes. But if you do, don't change them in small increments in the action shooting sports!!!! 

very correct. shells play an equal part in patterning. tons of variables.

15 hours ago, Luna said:

In the US, but my gun tends to prefer hotter loads; 1 1/8 @  1200 fps is about as low as it will go and still shoot reliably. I generally go for 3 1/4 dram shells just shoot a dogs lunch of whatever is in stock.

Not sure what SG you are shooting, due to the shell shortage, we have made our 2- VR80's by drilling the gas ports & some polishing and buffer spring adjustments shoot almost any load down to 1145FPS with 1oz or 1 1/8oz. My son's Benelli with TTS spring kit will run almost any load, also. Too hard to find specific loads. Can't be too picky right now.

We run LM or mod Briley chokes for 99% of the shots. Once in awhile an IM or even full for some really long precise shots. More & more NS targets are being mixed in. 

The Federal's are 1200fps & 1 1/8oz and run great.

gerritm