Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Frame Cracking

Gun1

I've heard that the first to go are Glock slides at the ejection port at around 100k, even though they still function. But then the actual frame cracks as well a few thousand rounds later, but exactly where in the frame are the cracks developing? 

Yeah, cracked slides are very rare in Glocks.  And cracked frames are exceedingly rare.  The older guns' plastic was pretty hard and they didn't crack.  The newer frames are more flexible, so they really resist cracking.

8 hours ago, Gun1 said:

I've heard that the first to go are Glock slides at the ejection port at around 100k, even though they still function. But then the actual frame cracks as well a few thousand rounds later, but exactly where in the frame are the cracks developing? 

That's total BS   You could crack a slide if you scallop it up, the G34 running an Open gun setup would crack slides, but a Glock with an Untouched slide or Frame would never crack and if it did it would be like 1 in 10 million.. 

9 hours ago, Gun1 said:

Did you hear this from the same guy that told you...

I was told by a gun range manager that about 150k rounds of factory 9mm ammo would crack most gun frames and about 100k rounds of factory 9mm would crack most slides.

3 minutes ago, GigG said:

Oh good lord.  You are basing at least two thread on one post from some guy's post 7 years ago on a web forum?  Please stop.

Page 18 is from this year. He started the posts in 2015 but has continually updated them throughout the years. If you read them it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He does own a rental gun range after all.

Edited by Gun1

1 minute ago, Gun1 said:

Page 18 is from this year. He started the posts in 2015 but has continually updated them throughout the years. If you read them it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. 

Anyone can sound like they know what they are talking about on a forum.  This includes people that think the Earth is flat.

16 hours ago, Gun1 said:

Why are you so obsessed with this?  IF the frame or slide ever cracks, it won't happen until several hundred thousand rounds have gone through it.

At that point just strip it for parts and toss the rest away and buy a new one. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Why are you so obsessed with this?  IF the frame or slide ever cracks, it won't happen until several hundred thousand rounds have gone through it.

At that point just strip it for parts and toss the rest away and buy a new one. 

Just mere curiosity. And since there's no concensus it only adds to my curiosity. 

2 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Even if the frame or slide gave up the ghost after 100k-150k rounds.  I'll call it a good run and replace it.  They're not that expensive 

So the reason why I'm so curious is because in California very shortly there won't be any new semiautomatics left for sale, revolvers only. So I'm thinking whether to use my semiautomatics or just save them in the safe. If something happens to the receiver that has to be replaced with a different serial number that's it, can't het it back here in California.

The frames can take a beating.  If getting spare slides and barrel are legal than stock up on those.   Those will go before the frame. 100k rounds is a lot of rounds round for one gun.  Get a spare or two.  I highly doubt one gun will see 100k rounds unless you are a serious high level competition shooter