Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP help

Pickin

Loaded up about 500 or so mixed brass. Used Xtreme 230gr RN with an OAL of ~1.2. Used RCBS dies. Fits in my Dillon case gauge without an issue. 

Went to the range about a week ago, used my FNX 45 and the rounds wouldn't chamber. Do I need more crimp? Same ammo fits in my Springfield XD 45 and cycles no problem.

Thanks

Edited by Pickin
Grammer and added more

Do any of the rounds you have loaded fail to chamber, or just some of them?  If so, are the ones that won't chamber from a specific brand of brass?

More crimp might help, but without knowing what the crimp currently measures, it's hard to tell.  Get some measurements of the current crimp before arbitrarily increasing it.

Experiment with OAL/crimp combinations by loading a few rounds without powder and primer and "plunk" them in the FNX barrel.   It should not be too difficult to identify an OAL/crimp value that works for that gun.  

1 hour ago, 45 Raven said:

Do any of the rounds you have loaded fail to chamber, or just some of them?  If so, are the ones that won't chamber from a specific brand of brass?

More crimp might help, but without knowing what the crimp currently measures, it's hard to tell.  Get some measurements of the current crimp before arbitrarily increasing it.

Experiment with OAL/crimp combinations by loading a few rounds without powder and primer and "plunk" them in the FNX barrel.   It should not be too difficult to identify an OAL/crimp value that works for that gun.  

Thank you. I will get some measurements and go from there.  

Yea it's all brass not a specific headstamp. 

• 3 weeks later...

Check the OAL and crimp on a factory round and go from there. If the factory round chambers for you its your loading thats wrong. Are you sizing/ Is the crimp the same as the factory/ Plunk it in your barrel like 45ravon recommends. All barrels are chambered differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest removing and cleaning your barrel. Then coat your loaded round with black felt pen or Dykem. Drop that loaded round into the chamber and see where it's htting in the chamber. Shiny spots appear on the loaded round in all the tight areas where the round hits the inside of the barrel chamber or rifling. I had that same issue a while back.

Edited by Trump

When faced with your issue,start by measuring the crimp and OAL of  commercial ammo that chambers properly in your  gun.  then make a dummy round or 3  and  see if it fits  in the chamber properly. Finally  try to load the dummy rounds  from a magazine  by cycling the slide.

good luck