Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring configuration with lighter loads?

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with light loads for steel challenge, around 95-100 pf with a 95 grain or 115 grain projectile, and I'm thinking I may need to get a lighter recoil spring? I've tested a few loads and I'll get a dead trigger or even double or triple fires. I'm assuming that this may be because the spring is either too strong and not allowing enough time for the disconnector to reset, causing either the dead trigger or hammer follow? Otherwise, with my regular 130pf loads, it functions reliably.

Current setup is:

Hipertouch Eclipse

Taccom Air Piston (Issue also happens with a regular 7.4 oz buffer and .308 spring, and I'm not convinced a .308 spring is needed)

Taccom ESSB

Shooting Innovations 10" barrel with Brekke compensator.

Edited by Arcrunner
12 hours ago, Arcrunner said:

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with light loads for steel challenge, around 95-100 pf with a 95 grain or 115 grain projectile, and I'm thinking I may need to get a lighter recoil spring? I've tested a few loads and I'll get a dead trigger or even double or triple fires. I'm assuming that this may be because the spring is either too strong and not allowing enough time for the disconnector to reset, causing either the dead trigger or hammer follow? Otherwise, with my regular 130pf loads, it functions reliably.

Current setup is:

Hipertouch Eclipse

Taccom Air Piston (Issue also happens with a regular 7.4 oz buffer and .308 spring, and I'm not convinced a .308 spring is needed)

Taccom ESSB

Shooting Innovations 10" barrel with Brekke compensator.

I'm using the Taccom air buffer and their XLW barrel in my PSA AR-V.  I have tested some light 115gr loads at about 100pf and they ran fine.  The brass ejection was a little close, but what would you expect.  I wasn't happy with the performance across the chrono, but that might have been due to the fact that the samples sent ranged from 114gr to 121gr.  I was getting spreads of over 100fps and way higher than expected deviation.  But that is my problem.  Personally I have good, consistent results with 124gr. loaded to around 115PF

With a shortened barrel and the Taccom system you should be able to run light loads without changing the buffer spring.  Can't speak to the other components.  best bet is to get some samples, load them up to different PF and see what the PCC likes.

I have found the JP silent captured spring to be one of the most tuneable spring configurations.  I currently run 80pf 95gr loads in my PCC for Steel challenge and it rocks.

Burst fire can be a symptom of too much spring / weight and not allowing the trigger to reset.   

@Arcrunneris there a specific question you have ?

23 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I have found the JP silent captured spring to be one of the most tuneable spring configurations.  I currently run 80pf 95gr loads in my PCC for Steel challenge and it rocks.

Burst fire can be a symptom of too much spring / weight and not allowing the trigger to reset.   

@Arcrunneris there a specific question you have ?

Yes, is my doubling/tripling with light loads due to too much spring or reciprocating mass? But it seems like my hypothesis is correct.

So I'll either need to go lighter on the spring, or remove the bolt weight? But I have a hunch that removing the bolt weight might make it too light? Short of changing the recoil system, maybe I just need to try it out. 

• 3 weeks later...