Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light vs No Light

thh425

13 hours ago, HueyChief33 said:

If you don't currently run a light on your carry pistol, I would strongly recommend looking into it.  While doing so, I would look at current data that is being put out by professionals or professional organizations, and shy away from any dated data from sources that don't hold those qualifications.

I strongly disagree that a WML is useful for concealed carry.  What are you going to use it for?  Threat ID?  You can't use a WML to ID a threat because the threat has to be ID'd before you present (even at low ready) a weapon.

I shouldn't need to explain the legal jeopardy attached to presenting a weapon to someone whom you're not reasonably sure is a deadly threat.

One doesn't have to be a cop or a use of force "expert" to see this.

But if you need a use of force expert, here's one

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

Mas is right that you shouldn't usually search with a WML, which most reputable instructors would tell you. I keep a handheld light on me for such tasks. But when it's time to get shooting, WMLs are far more convenient than handheld lights, and, yeah, I've done it on a timer.

I don't like the way my gun recoils and balances with a WML on it, so I don't put one on for competition.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, dapribek said:

Ok, so I have a tricked out 34 for CO and for the heck of it I added a light and discovered I’m shooting much better with the muzzle not moving as much. It’s probably because I didn’t have a great grip to begin with, but it has helped my shooting. 

I have a friend who competes with a light - swears the extra weight helps him. I personally don't use a light. He says extra weight up front helps him. This is shooting GSSF unlimted. I say experiment ... see what works or doesn't. 

• 1 month later...

If the game/stages make the light a benefit (idpa dark stages) definitely worth it. Otherwise it seems mostly not necessary. The only time I think it makes a decent gain is if you were shooting a stock weight Glock than I think adding a heavy light like a x300 would make controlling recoil easier without hurting transitions