Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading in garage - Need setup tips

Moving to a new house and want to set up my auto drive + Dillon in the garage.  I live down south and the summer is brutal. 

I am looking for tips on setting up and storing components in the garage. 

Should I insulate the the garage ceiling, wall and door, and install a split unit AC?  I worry the press might rust and the component might go bad in the summer humidity. 

I'd certainly keep the primers & powder in the house.  But if you are new to the South and actually reload in the summer you are going to want to insulate and AC.

I lived in the Houston area for over 10 years and the garage was nearly life threateningly hot during the summer.  Always kept my powder and primers in climate controlled area. Loaded early in the morning before it got to hot.  The presses dies and parts were always well oiled and Maintained and I never had any rust problems.

You might consider an old refrigerator set at a “almost cool” setting.  I had a friend that used an old refrigerator that did not work to store components.  He said it stayed way cooler inside and eliminated big temp swings. . 

7 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Moving to a new house and want to set up my auto drive + Dillon in the garage.  I live down south and the summer is brutal. 

I am looking for tips on setting up and storing components in the garage. 

Should I insulate the the garage ceiling, wall and door, and install a split unit AC?  I worry the press might rust and the component might go bad in the summer humidity. 

Yes . If you want to be even remotely confirmable.  If anything like were I live. It will be 100% humidity during the summer, early fall, late spring. That humidity can be very detrimental to electrical components on the auto drive.  The heat isn't good for long term storage of power, primers. But that takes a long time to show up.

Edited by AHI

I live in a HOT and dry part of California, my powders stored in old ice chests to moderate the temperature and what little humidity we get.  The bigger issue for me is being able to load during the hot season, a fan is a must along with the garage being insulated.

other than that, I have not had a problem with my reloads. 

If you can afford to insulate the garage I’d do it. Walls, ceiling ect It will make it much more comfortable for you and your components. Once that’s done you could install an ac unit to top it off. The AC will remove excess moisture too. In the meantime, like the others, I would keep your primers and powder somewhere cooler. 

I live in florida and have been reloading on a 550 on my back porch for 30 years. I keep the die head indoors as well as all the primers and powder. Only rust has been on the primer magazine. I keep the ram oiled and that’s it. If you can insulate and ac your garage it sure can’t hurt and would make your reloading much more comfortable but not absolutely something that has to be done. I also try and not reload much during June, July, and August as it’s pretty hot and humid during those months.

Before my recent move, I had an L-shaped 3 car garage.  I turned the back part of the "L" into a reloading room.  Dry wall/Insulation, ductless A/C unit.  Already had a utility sink.  It was money well spent.  I could reload all summer and did not really need to run the  A/C that often.  

Losing this space was by far the worst part of moving/downsizing

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Echo valerko, i live in Illinois. I stopped reloading for nearly 15 years. Kept primers in my garage safe with only dehumidifiers rod. Reloaded about 100 rounds last week thinking it may not fire. Also used an open N320 (not sealed but cap was on). Surprisingly, all 100 rounds fired without issues…will test another 100 rounds this weekend…

Heat is the enemy for powder and primers.  It likely would take prolonged storage in heat to seriously affect them, but it is known that heat will deteriorate them.

Steel, as in dies and presses, are likely most affected by humid conditions.  If you can insulate and AC the garage it would likely be better fdor the tools.