Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

23 + 1 PPQ mags failing to feed

UpYoursPal

I got a Q4 SF recently and it has been great.  On the advice of Hwansik Kim, I threw on TF +6 basepads and grams spring/follower kits. I get the advertised 23+1 and they generally work fine, but I will sometimes get a round that hits the feed ramp low (or “nose dives”) and locks up the gun.  Anyone else run into this issue? Anyone have a solution?

It's not uncommon, and should not be unexpected, to have this problem when replacing OEM parts with aftermarket stuff in the feed system for a semi auto firearm.

I can use Grams followers with my 141 mm CZ P-09/P-10F magazines and they'll feed perfectly in my P-09 but they'll turn my P-10s into jamamatics.

The only fix is to mess with the feed lips to make it work.  Personally I don't have the time or patience to screw around with that so I use OEM followers in the extended magazines I use with my P-10F and accept that I can only squeeze 22 rounds in.  That's a trade-off I'll gladly accept for 100% reliability.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

I have several magazines set up like yours with Grams followers and springs. I have 2 of these magazine that have your same problem. I also haven't figured it out yet. They work fine loaded full but when I chamber one round then put these 2 in I get a jam same as you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm getting 23+1 (21 on reload) with Springer Precision base pads and Grams Follower. I switched to the Springers because I had all my TF+6 fail at a match (two of them).

I've had good luck so far (knocks on wood).

I think I figured out a solution: grams springs with TTI ultra thin 2011 followers (shaved down a few mm) seem to work perfectly.  They get 23 in the tube with a little bit of wiggle room on top so you can confidently load them

On 12/31/2022 at 10:53 PM, rennD said:

I'm getting 23+1 (21 on reload) with Springer Precision base pads and Grams Follower. I switched to the Springers because I had all my TF+6 fail at a match (two of them).

I've had good luck so far (knocks on wood).

What failed exactly? Fail to feed or something with the magazine extension? 

Edited by Scotty_JR

12 hours ago, Scotty_JR said:

What failed exactly? Fail to feed or something with the magazine extension? 

Failed to feed and followers on three followers got stuck in a low position. I cleaned the mags and the same thing happened again on two of the mags, FTF and low position.

Edited by rennD

On 1/3/2023 at 5:58 AM, UpYoursPal said:

I think I figured out a solution: grams springs with TTI ultra thin 2011 followers (shaved down a few mm) seem to work perfectly.  They get 23 in the tube with a little bit of wiggle room on top so you can confidently load them

Just to make sure I understand: You are using the TTI 2011 follower in a PPQ mag?

Could you describe the modifications you made?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, rennD said:

Failed to feed and followers on three followers got stuck in a low position. I cleaned the mags and the same thing happened again on two of the mags, FTF and low position.

Sorry for all the questions, factory follower or the grams? Im running TF +6s with factory followers. Just trying to keep an eye out for issues. 

5 hours ago, ddc said:

Just to make sure I understand: You are using the TTI 2011 follower in a PPQ mag?

Could you describe the modifications you made?

Thanks.

Right.  I followed the method described by @MemphisMechanic in this thread: 

All I did was take some Grams 2011 springs, remove the follower, put on the TTI SVI +1 follower on the spring, file a few mm off each end to fit the tube, and went with that.  Zero malfs so far