Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New here from NW Ohio

moose97

Hi. I started USPSA beginning of this year & have shot 7 matches so far. Got my wife to try at the last one this past weekend. Currently shooting a CZ Custom SP01 ACCU Shadow in limited because of the goofy rules for Production. I'm looking hard at a new gun next summer, so considering Carry Optics and possibly even Open, but aren't set up for reloading, so looking for info & ideas. 

Edited by moose97

16 hours ago, moose97 said:

Hi. I started USPSA beginning of this year & have shot 7 matches so far. Got my wife to try at the last one this past weekend. Currently shooting a CZ Custom SP01 ACCU Shadow in limited because of the goofy rules for Production. I'm looking hard at a new gun next summer, so considering Carry Optics and possibly even Open, but aren't set up for reloading, so looking for info & ideas. 

What are the goofy rules in production?

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

What are the goofy rules in production?

10 round mags. You can't show up to a match with an out of the box pistol, which usually comes with only 2-3 mags, and shoot Production. That makes zero sense. The easiest solution is to just get rid of the limit all together. Or, if 141mm is okay for CO, it should be okay for Production too.

28 minutes ago, moose97 said:

10 round mags. You can't show up to a match with an out of the box pistol, which usually comes with only 2-3 mags, and shoot Production. That makes zero sense. The easiest solution is to just get rid of the limit all together. Or, if 141mm is okay for CO, it should be okay for Production too.

Or one could just read the rules ahead of time and buy a few more magazines.  They're like the cheapest part of the sport.  Literally.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

25 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Or one could just read the rules ahead of time and buy a few more magazines.  They're like the cheapest part of the sport.  Literally.

No. I have zero interest in making 3-4 mag changes per stage. It's stupid. It's antiquated Fudd BS. It's killing the division. Production used to be what, like the 2nd most popular division? Now? It's 5th. And falling fast. And your solution is "go buy some mags"? Lol, yeah. Way to just ignore the problem...

Edited by moose97

12 minutes ago, moose97 said:

No. I have zero interest in making 3-4 mag changes per stage. It's stupid. It's antiquated Fudd BS. It's killing the division. Production used to be what, like the 2nd most popular division? Now? It's 5th. And falling fast. And your solution is "go buy some mags"? Lol, yeah. Way to just ignore the problem...

More reloads or having to buy a few more mags isn't what's killing Production.  If that was the case, Production would have died the minute the AWB expired in 2004 because people would have just jumped to Limited.

But they didn't.  

1 minute ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

More reloads or having to buy a few more mags isn't what's killing Production.  If that was the case, Production would have died the minute the AWB expired in 2004 because people would have just jumped to Limited.

But they didn't.  

Cool story. Way to live in the past.

3 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You just started in this sport but you got all the answers on how to fix it.

LOL get in line

The fact that I'm willing to be non-competitive shooting 9mm in Limited rather than shoot Production should say something. 

9 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

But they didn't.  

To follow up on this, CO also wasn't an option when the AWB sunset. Personally, I have minimal experience shooting with a dot. So I have to choose, as you say, buying extra mags and mag pouches, and doing  extra reloads for no reason, or milling the slide of my $2k gun not knowing if I'll ultimately like it, or shooting Limited. 

I'm not trying to argue here. I'm explaining my personal experience. I'd rather be shooting Production, where I would not have to compete against Major scoring. But I also have zero interest in doing extra mag changes per some arbitrary rule. To me, Production means just that. Shoot it as it's sold. Almost no modern guns come with 10 round magazines anymore. If that rule was a reaction to the AWB, it should have been changed almost 20 years ago. It's fine if you disagree.

And yes, I'm new to the sport. A sport that has stagnant membership. Shouldn't the goal be to figure out why people are leaving after a short amount of time and try to see what would make them stay? As noted, I really enjoy this sport. I'm seriously struggling with the decision of buying something next summer to shoehorn into a division that I will enjoy. Isn't that a problem? Shouldn't USPSA be concerned that a new shooter that loves the sport may find something different because of the goofy rules?