Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Pro Master Vs Dillon 750

I am considering reloading as an option. I'm starting to look over reloader but don't really know anything about them. I've found the Dillion 750 and the Lee Load Master but other than the vast price difference I don't understand what the benefit is of one over the other. I'm guessing I'll reload less than 5000 rounds a year between various different rounds. Any suggestions?

I believe the vast majority of people who have owned both Lee and Dillon products will argue in favor of the 750.

Plus the Loadmaster is supposedly no longer in production however Lee will continue to support them.

(That is from their website.)

I've owned both Lee and Dillon and Dillon get's my vote without question.

Lee products are almost always cheaper than their competition.

For things like dies that may not be an issue.

For more complex products I think there is a message there.

15 minutes ago, ddc said:

I believe the vast majority of people who have owned both Lee and Dillon products will argue in favor of the 750.

Plus the Loadmaster is supposedly no longer in production however Lee will continue to support them.

(That is from their website.)

I've owned both Lee and Dillon and Dillon get's my vote without question.

Lee products are almost always cheaper than their competition.

For things like dies that may not be an issue.

For more complex products I think there is a message there.

I'll concur with that.  Their single stages and turret presses work nice, I still buy their dies.  I'd go with 750 if you can afford it.

Ran  a Loadmaster in 45ACP back in 2001-2005 and loaded around 20-22k on it . Sent it back 2 times due to primer feeding issues and went through at least 6 of the primer assembly’s. Got a 650 and never looked back

The Lee makes consistent quality ammo, if that's all you can afford.  I load on Lee, and it sucks for priming so bad that I hand prime all my cases.  I deal with it because I only shoot a few thousand rounds per year.  It's hard to justify spending $1k to upgrade, just for time savings.  That's the cost of a cool pistol I don't already own!

If those are the choices, go with the 750. I used to use a Loadmaster, sometimes it can really test your patience if everything isn't perfect. I'm on a 1050 now and I kick myself for ever using a Lee progressive (their turret & single stage presses are worth it though).

Love my s1050

I tried other brands from Dillon and won’t go back.

I’ve considered a 750 as a rifle caliber loader

I live local to them and they stand behind their product, their support is second to none 

Edited by dkamps

I load on a Loadmaster for 9 minor and major. I only shoot around 9-10k a year now, but for three years I loaded 12-13k. It took constant maintenance and fiddling with, but unless something broke it always worked. It's a lot like running an open gun. I had the time and patience. If you're just starting out go with the 750 or better models. Less headache to begin with and they, like Lee have a good warranty. I always used Titan reloading for spares. I've got probably 60-70k reloaded on my press, but it has been an adventure,,, that I don't regret,,,

21 hours ago, ShootingPilot said:

I've found the Dillion 750 and the Lee Load Master

Do a search and you will find many happy Dillon owners and the motto, "buy once cry once."

Even the 550 is an improvement over the Lee LM. 

If you have the budget go Dillon and don't look back.

Just one note for Lee; I use a single stage Lee, the APP, and way back in the past owned the Load Master and Turret . The APP is probably the best swager for the money out there. It swages primer pockets better than my 1050 and sizes bullets (use the NOE tool and die), not so good for rifle case sizing.

I think a 550 would be fine for you as you reload not too much and also different calibers. I have two 550 and load .45 on one and the rest is 9 mm and 357 mag and 38 spl.

So the presses are set up for large and small primer. When I had only one, I changed over for the other size, which is easy and takes only a few minutes.

How many calibers, which. Ones, and estimated yearly rounds for each.

I have a 550 and 1050 which is mostly overkill but I love it. Crimped brass worries are a thing of the past and I can crank our my rounds for the summers months in an afternoon.

It's all a time vs money argument.

8 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

How many calibers, which. Ones, and estimated yearly rounds for each.

At this point my best guesstimate is about 10,000 rds. for a year - 6,500 rds. - 40 S&W, 2,000 - 5.56 Nato, 500 - 9 mm, 500 - .45 acp, and 500 - .308. 

After reading the comments here and some reviews, I'm leaning strongly toward the Dillon 550C. I think this will give me the ability to make the rounds in a timely fashion, switch between calibers, have a long-term stability, and be cost effective. I am curious however, on the value of using a single stage press like the Lee Challenger. Other than the much lower price point what is the advantage, if there is one to having this press?

25 minutes ago, ShootingPilot said:

At this point my best guesstimate is about 10,000 rds. for a year - 6,500 rds. - 40 S&W, 2,000 - 5.56 Nato, 500 - 9 mm, 500 - .45 acp, and 500 - .308. 

After reading the comments here and some reviews, I'm leaning strongly toward the Dillon 550C. I think this will give me the ability to make the rounds in a timely fashion, switch between calibers, have a long-term stability, and be cost effective. I am curious however, on the value of using a single stage press like the Lee Challenger. Other than the much lower price point what is the advantage, if there is one to having this press?

The breakdown between rounds is helpful.i have a 1050 set up for 9mm and 223 and load everything else on my 550 including testing new loads. It's a great set up for guys who shoot a lot and reload a lot of different calibers. 

I’ll throw in my two cents. I don’t own a Dillon but I do have a Loadmaster and a old Lee Turret press plus a couple of single stage presses. I bought the loadmaster many years ago and use it for 38, 357, 45 and assembling 223. It does Not size rifle rounds very well or consistently. I generally have my brass cleaned and prepped and the machine works fine. There’s little quirks but there is with ANY loader and if anyone tells you different their lying. I really like the turret press for load development because with extra turrets loaded with dies you can switch calibers in seconds. I think the Dillon warranty is much better than Lee as with Lee, unless it breaks there’s only a limited warranty. If it wears out it’s on you. I see a lot of complaints or problems on here with the Dillons but it seems that they stand behind their products better than most. I also think with any loader 90% of the problems are operator induced. 

11 hours ago, ShootingPilot said:

I am curious however, on the value of using a single stage press like the Lee Challenger. Other than the much lower price point what is the advantage, if there is one to having this press?

A single stage press is good for development, calibers you want to try out, some dies won't fit on 550, or just killing time. The 550 will do almost every thing, except swaging of primer pockets or sizing bullets. RCBS makes a die set for swaging which works on the Challenger press.

I'm sure most of us started the reloading hobby with the  Lee Challenger kit. Good value and a durable press.

14 hours ago, ShootingPilot said:

I use single-stage presses for load development as well as all my "precision" reloading.  Much slower but also gives me the time to be as precise as possible.  I think every reloader should have a single station press around... they come in handy.

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I'm sure most of us started the reloading hobby with the  Lee Challenger kit. Good value and a durable press.

I didn't I started with a Dillon Square Deal.  In fact, I've never used anything but a progressive.  Though I do need to buy something for load development. It is a pain in the a$$ on my Revolutions.

2 hours ago, GigG said:

I didn't I started with a Dillon Square Deal.  In fact, I've never used anything but a progressive.  Though I do need to buy something for load development. It is a pain in the a$$ on my Revolutions.

Sounds like you started reloading as a higher volume USPSA or similar shooter. I started to feed my M1 in 30-06 and cost was the major initial factor.  Now decades later I’ve spent a ton of money on reloading equipment, so don’t tell my wife please. 😇

hi,

consider this statement.  I consider myself to be an inveterate tinker and

did not find the lee bullet feeder to be a challenge. 

if you find 1 fail in 150-200 to be reliable... 

the turret press... primer system in not reliable. 

after that I found the turret press balks just often enough to be frustrating.

there are no alignment or adjustment to fix that.

I got a 650... once set up oiled and running... I have had few problems.

'tis a machine without any real frustrations.

miranda

• 2 weeks later...

Lee makes some great products. Their progressive presses are not among that group. I would recommend Lee dies or their Turret press in a heart beat but I strongly advise against buying any of their progressive presses. For every person who posts they have made a "billion rounds" on a Lee progressive you will find dozens who say they tried and gave up in favor of another brand, usually Dillon.

One factor people often do not consider when asking the question of Lee vs Dillon is the resale value. Buy the Dillon, use it for 20 years and provided you do the required maintenance, you will be able to sell the equipment for more than you paid for it simply due to inflation and Dillon's durability factor. You will never be able to do that with a Lee progressive. If you need to postpone buying a Dillon press because of cost, so be it. The wait will be worth it in the long run.

First progress press was a SDB worked moved to a 550 then to Hornady LnL.  The Hornady LNL was better for me because I basically only load 38 special and 357 magnum but use 12 different bullets, so the quick change dies are a great help.  Everyone is going to like something different, so you will have to find your place.

image.jpeg.be97a89d15d0581107763cd4ab66938e.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I've used a Lee Loadmaster to load tens of thousands of 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 45 ACP, 40 Super, 400 CorBon, 38 Special, 300 BLK and 223. I love it because it is very simple to change calibers and once set up and adjusted works great. With that said, I don't prime on the Loadmaster. Its priming system is unreliable and now that primers cost so much I hand prime if I'm going to load on the Loadmaster. I also hated that the spent primers were sent down into the press and you had to loosen a bolt at the bottom of the ram to release the primers. This bolt also happens to be how you adjust the shell plate carrier and you'd have to fiddle with it to get the press to index correctly again. So I use a Lee APP with an universal de-priming die to de-prime all my cases.  I've even figured out a way to use the Dillon case feeder on the Loadmaster. Sadly, Lee is no longer going to make the Loadmaster. Instead they are going to release the Six Pack Pro progressive press.

I was excited when I first saw Six Pack Pro and I signed up on Lee's site to be informed when it was available. To my surprise I got an email from Lee asking if I was interested in buying a pre-released "factory second" Six Pack Pro.  "Factory second" because it had some slight finish issues on the shell plate carrier. I ordered it and have been messing around with it for several weeks. I haven't actually loaded anything with it though. I first tried to de-prime 1,000 9mm brass. However, they kept falling out of the shell plate as the plate rotated around. It was so bad I considered the press worthless for 9mm and smaller base brass. I contacted Lee and they have since made a retainer of sorts that must be used for 9mm, 223, etc. I have not tried the priming system on the Six Pack. There is no way to adjust priming depth and I think you just have to do it from feel as you lower the ram.

One thing I'll say about Lee is that I've never had an issue with their support. You can order many press part from their site and most of them are free, you just have to pay shipping.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the Six Pack Pro might have some potential, but after reloading for over 30 years I've finally decided to go to Dillon. I first considered the XL750, but just bit the bullet and got the RL1100. I'm in the process of getting it all set up. I plan to load 9mm, 223 and 300 BLK. So I now have a press that the tool heads alone cost almost as much as my Loadmaster set up for 9mm. 

I'll keep the Loadmaster and the Six Pack Pro for the other calibers I reload.

Edited by davidjon_99