Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wall Construction...with raw materials on the rise $$

Chappytactical

I know this has been topic has been brought up before, but what is everyone's thoughts on walls being constructed out of PVC? Our club is looking to build more walls and well, you all know the price of steel, aluminum and wood have gone through the roof!

Those clubs that have PVC walls, what size and psi rating did you all use?

If anyone has other resources or ideas to save money on walls, please provide them in the comments.  Thanks!

Pony up the money for correct wall construction is probably the correct answer.  Walls do get shot, dropped, stepped on, fall over.  PVC will not happen up to normal wall abuse for matches.  Not that it does not exist, but I have never seen walls constructed from PVC, probably for those very reasons.  

if you're talking solid pvc wall, it's a vision barrier which could be a safety issue with folks downrange remaining unseen.  also wind load on solid walls can be a problem.  

2x4 framing/perimeter with plastic netting stapled seems to be a good choice.

3 hours ago, davsco said:

if you're talking solid pvc wall, it's a vision barrier which could be a safety issue with folks downrange remaining unseen.  also wind load on solid walls can be a problem.  

Sorry, I meant PVC tubing for the frame. But the 2x4 framing seems like a more viable option.

16 hours ago, davsco said:

Anyone have a decent “how to” sheet for construing walls?

On 6/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, rowdyb said:

I shoot lots of matches w pvc walls. I hate metal framed walls. Pvc frames are super easy to repair and the light weight is awesome 

Besides weight, what do you hate about metal framed walls? I actually prefer them over wood, at least from what I have seen in my area.

1 hour ago, Bagellord said:

Besides weight, what do you hate about metal framed walls? I actually prefer them over wood, at least from what I have seen in my area.

Some worry about splatter right in front of their face when the muzzle is near steel frames

We run steel walls at our club.  Steel tube frames with snow netting.  They are great due to the foot system we incorporate with the design.  Stage design is a consideration in preventing hitting the walls close to competitors faces/bodies.  I have seen the wall hit within 5-6 feet of the shooter and no splatter hits anyone.  It seem like the thin tubing the walls are made of tend deflect the bullet more than create splatter.  I think its due to the thin wall design of the metal tube where the tube deforming takes most of the energy versus a heavy plate the creates splatter.  

The current problem with steel is getting material due to supply chain, and obviously cost.  By far the most durable walls in our section though when comparing to wood and walls designed from other materials.  The are a touch heavier than wood walls, but if you construct your wood walls with re-enforcement bracing at the corners they weigh about the same.  

37 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Some worry about splatter right in front of their face when the muzzle is near steel frames

I have a scar on my nose from exactly that (thank God for good shooting glasses.) was ROing a pcc shooter who was shooing at a sharp angle through a port.  He drilled the metal frame of the port with a partial hit. That caused the bullet to shed what I suspect was bullet jacket which caught me in the face. 

Edited by caspian guy

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

With mild steel for the frames (and the fact that they are smaller than the typical wooden or PVC frame), it's fairly unlikely. At least with how I have used the walls and/or seen them used.

Having watched multiple people take frag that lead to real injuries I'd rather shoot around wood or plastic walls. 

Also more people in a club have the skills to repair a wood or pvc wall vs a metal one.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to your local lumber yard and ask if they have a "Cull" section of lumber.  That's the stuff that wasn't good enough to use on the job or defective and the yards usually sell it for half or less.  May not be the best looking material but will get the job done.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:41 PM, coframer said:

Go to your local lumber yard and ask if they have a "Cull" section of lumber.  That's the stuff that wasn't good enough to use on the job or defective and the yards usually sell it for half or less.  May not be the best looking material but will get the job done.

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

• 1 year later...