Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't decide my future in shooting sports...

xd1977

First, a bit of background in the hopes that maybe someone who has been in a similar situation may have some advice:

I gave up my first major hobby of drag racing and began competitive shooting in USPSA, IDPA and 3G since 2009. Since that time, I've achieved 3 gun master classes in both USPSA and IDPA (had to give up 3 gun due to the expense), but gave up the IDPA as well way back when it was decided to completely change up the rule book. So here's the dilemma. I'm at the point where my performance on the range is not what it use to be. I'm now chasing my GM cards in USPSA and I guess it could be called a rut. Age and aging eyesight are playing a part in this for starters, but this has be corrected and I'm still hitting the pistol drills, gym and cardio pretty hard 4 to 5 days a week. I'm still very fit at 46 years and the performances in practice are without question on point with the M/GM class. I have family, work and many other responsibilities like most everyone else; but lately, it's becoming harder and harder to prioritize the hobby/sport that I love and balance it with everything else. I can attribute being an RO for 12 years and being on the timer or score pad most of the match lately is playing a huge part in my performance declining a lot! Seems hardly anyone else wants to take part and help in RO'ing or scoring. Most claim they don't know how or they aren't an RO. It's a piss poor excuse if you ask me because no one is willing to try and learn. It was so bad at one of our local matches a couple weeks ago during 100 degree weather. No one was willing to help and hardly anyone was pasting. I gave a warning after 3 stages and when it happened again, I just put the timer down during the 4th stage and said.."I'm done", and I left. It left me exhausted and demoralized to the point I almost didn't want to go back. It deeply concerns me that other shooters aren't willing to step up and help because it NEVER use to be this way at our local clubs. It's almost to the point where I want to give up the RO certification, but if I do, I become part of the problem. Me transferring my training to the match is almost impossible and is only displaying every once and awhile instead of constantly now during my runs. My motivation is in the toilet because of this too. I've spoken with the MD's about folks helping us out. It's been addressed, but still falls on deaf ears when brought to other competitors attention. These local matches are very important to me because they in themselves are training tools for me as for the major matches I attend, so it irks me when this happens, which has been a regular occurrence recently. It's easy to just say "hand the stuff off", but sometimes it's not as simple as that. Different things come into play like get squaded with new or rookie shooters, shooting order, older folks who can't run nearly as fast as the competitor and being able to keep their eyes on the gun. Even having junior shooters on the squad plays in as a big factor for me, because I surely will not allow someone who isn't a certified RO to run our kids through a stage. This is coming from me as a parent and a RO. 

I have had to step away from the range for injuries and family issues for months at a time (a year was the longest, I think), but I was always hungry to get back out there on the trigger every single time. I'm worried that if I take a break from it this time, the hunger for shooting sports won't be there anymore. Any input would be appreciated....

I'm worried that if I take a break from it this time, the hunger for shooting sports won't be there anymore. Any input would be appreciated....

Sounds like you are competitive at heart and when you say "shooting sports" do you mean USPSA only?

At 74 I'm going through the similar process that you explain though for different reasons and situations. I got into the game later in life (older than you are now) and still fairly fit but nothing like I was at 50. For me those triathlon days are long past. As an RO at this age it's tough keeping up with those PCC shooters that are half my age plus the nuances of the rules and match volunteering...it just got to be over the top for me. One day I just decided to pull the plug and haven't looked back because I've picked up another shooting sport at my local range.

Enough of my story, get out there and think beyond USPSA, IDPA, and 3-gun. There are plenty of of other sports out there that have a trigger and go BANG plus a bunch that don't but are super competitive. Let your competitive spirit take over, not your need for TRIGGER,BANG,RUN. You made a major direction change to your competitive spirit from car racing so recall what made those past transitions work for you.

In short, what's more important to you, something with a trigger or something that's competitive?

As the saying goes: YMMV.

I guess I'm specifically saying that my passion is USPSA, I am just tired of the bs that it has turned into because of the things I mentioned. I hadn't thought of it from your perspective though. It is really helpful and much appreciated....thanks! 

Make sure you are squaded with some guys that can ro. Put the timer down for a few matches and just paste and set steel. 

Basically you are trying to do too much and burning out.  Work so you are not part of the problem, but do the work that doesn't take much brain power. After a few matches of that run the timer some if you feel like it.

Good luck 

I feel your pain, what I could do at 45 when I started USPSA is a lot harder at 68.  Yes, too many won't run a timer, paste (or walk with one paster to go to a target closest that has already been pasted) or even run the scorepad.  They just want to shoot, improve their performance, watch themselves on video after shooting a COF, and shooting the breeze.  It's all about them.

It does get demoralizing when you have so many newer shooters that don't read rulebooks or help out.  They forget who will be running matches whenever we are gone.  So I bitch at them, make a nuisance of myself, and hope they inflict themselves on someone else next time.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:19 AM, RJH said:

Make sure you are squaded with some guys that can ro. Put the timer down for a few matches and just paste and set steel. 

Basically you are trying to do too much and burning out.  Work so you are not part of the problem, but do the work that doesn't take much brain power. After a few matches of that run the timer some if you feel like it.

Good luck 

I have been the burnt out md/ro. When I stopped the trick was to find a good group to shoot with.  It’s one thing to share timer duties with three others. It’s another to do it for yourself.  I’ve been where I thought I was going to have to run the timer for myself at one point. I made sure to never squad with them again. 

On 6/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, xd1977 said:

First, a bit of background in the hopes that maybe someone who has been in a similar situation may have some advice:

I gave up my first major hobby of drag racing and began competitive shooting in USPSA, IDPA and 3G since 2009. Since that time, I've achieved 3 gun master classes in both USPSA and IDPA (had to give up 3 gun due to the expense), but gave up the IDPA as well way back when it was decided to completely change up the rule book. So here's the dilemma. I'm at the point where my performance on the range is not what it use to be. I'm now chasing my GM cards in USPSA and I guess it could be called a rut. Age and aging eyesight are playing a part in this for starters, but this has be corrected and I'm still hitting the pistol drills, gym and cardio pretty hard 4 to 5 days a week. I'm still very fit at 46 years and the performances in practice are without question on point with the M/GM class. I have family, work and many other responsibilities like most everyone else; but lately, it's becoming harder and harder to prioritize the hobby/sport that I love and balance it with everything else. I can attribute being an RO for 12 years and being on the timer or score pad most of the match lately is playing a huge part in my performance declining a lot! Seems hardly anyone else wants to take part and help in RO'ing or scoring. Most claim they don't know how or they aren't an RO. It's a piss poor excuse if you ask me because no one is willing to try and learn. It was so bad at one of our local matches a couple weeks ago during 100 degree weather. No one was willing to help and hardly anyone was pasting. I gave a warning after 3 stages and when it happened again, I just put the timer down during the 4th stage and said.."I'm done", and I left. It left me exhausted and demoralized to the point I almost didn't want to go back. It deeply concerns me that other shooters aren't willing to step up and help because it NEVER use to be this way at our local clubs. It's almost to the point where I want to give up the RO certification, but if I do, I become part of the problem. Me transferring my training to the match is almost impossible and is only displaying every once and awhile instead of constantly now during my runs. My motivation is in the toilet because of this too. I've spoken with the MD's about folks helping us out. It's been addressed, but still falls on deaf ears when brought to other competitors attention. These local matches are very important to me because they in themselves are training tools for me as for the major matches I attend, so it irks me when this happens, which has been a regular occurrence recently. It's easy to just say "hand the stuff off", but sometimes it's not as simple as that. Different things come into play like get squaded with new or rookie shooters, shooting order, older folks who can't run nearly as fast as the competitor and being able to keep their eyes on the gun. Even having junior shooters on the squad plays in as a big factor for me, because I surely will not allow someone who isn't a certified RO to run our kids through a stage. This is coming from me as a parent and a RO. 

I have had to step away from the range for injuries and family issues for months at a time (a year was the longest, I think), but I was always hungry to get back out there on the trigger every single time. I'm worried that if I take a break from it this time, the hunger for shooting sports won't be there anymore. Any input would be appreciated....

Paragraph won't kill😑

• 1 month later...

you shoot because you enjoy it, so every other match or every third, do just that and have a good time, let someone else take the RO/timer duty.   Go back to it when at a later time.     Been there done that, just remember why you got into the sport and make sure you play a little,  later work a little. 

My suggestion is to cycle the entire squad through timer and tablet. If you aren’t doing these tasks then you’re pasting or picking up brass. 

If they claim ignorance, co-RO with them for a stage or two. 

If someone isn’t pulling their weight….publicly call them out. 

So when you stepped away due to injuries did the match stop being held ? I am betting it didnt.
If you arnt the MD this isnt your problem, but you do seem to be allowing him/her to make it your problem. You need to stop..  Simply stop ROing.. Let the MD worry about it.
One thing I learned about being an RO. I could either RO or do good at a match, not both.
No idea what the lay of land is like now but it used to be expensive and a PIA to get to an RO class. Should NOT have to pay for one, 

Go to 1Gun.org and check out their rules.  Under Penalties 5.4 (That Guy rule), it's a 60 second penalty on the first call and a DQ on the second call of "not helping".  Maybe you and some like-minded guys need to start a club using their rules.  It's a new and interesting concept for a match and it might be the challenge you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is the kind of person that everyone loves working with because she always takes on extra work and responsibilities when no one else will. She really cares about ensuring everything gets done and doesn’t fall apart. Then she comes home and feels the same way you do - frustrated that no one else is stepping up and worried that everything is on the verge of not working. I tell her the only way to start fixing it, is to stop going above and beyond for everyone else. Just say no and only do the things that one person can be reasonably expected to do. Then, the the issues become more pronounced and things get bad for everyone. To the point that those who had been sitting back before simply have to start stepping up. And if they don’t, well it all falls apart. And it should. Sometimes, things have to get bad before they can start to get better. 

I would just continue doing what you enjoy doing and only taking on what you feel is fair and reasonable for one person to do. And let the chips fall where they may. Don’t spend too much time focusing on how little others are doing. They have already demonstrated to you how they fall short. Don’t let their shortcomings take anything else from your psyche. They will not change unless they have to, and even then maybe not. And in the meantime, you will start to see others like you. And you can try to spend more time with them. 

Back in 1980's I was a match director for pistol silhouette shooting; we had plenty of people to shoot but very few to setup and take down same with cowboy action and steel challenge matches.

Unfortunately it's like that in all most all the shooting sports.  I finally gave up and now just cast bullets, reloading and go shoot.  Doing all three makes it fun and go to the range two or three times a week.

I have learned after of 55 years of shooting it's all What You Make Of It.

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, xd1977 said:

Sort of seems you're letting the bureaucratic managerial end of the business carry matches over from an enjoyable sport/hobby to a tedious chore.    Sometimes you just have to take care of yourself if it's not your baby.  Take a step back awhile, get more into enjoying it, then do some r/o or whatever once you're in the groove.  It's not supposed to be a job.  

Have fun.

Take a 6 month break. If you are still wanting to come back and shoot, as you miss it - great. 

If not find a new hobby.

This is supposed to be fun. Sounds like you have done your part. lets some other slackers step up, if they want to keep shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a very similar situation as the OP...i shot rifle matches for about 17-18yrs and was deep into it and loved it. Had some personal things come up and had to sell all my gear...I mean everything reloading equipment, rifles all of it and was out for a little over 2yrs and the entire time could not wait to get back into it.

Well about 6mos ago I was back in a position to get back to shooting, I bought a new rifle and scope and replaced a lot of my gear minus reloading. I stocked up on match ammo and in that time I've shot 1 match which was about 80 rounds and at this point i have 236 rounds through this new rifle...before I use to shoot out 2-3 barrels a year so some where around 6-7000 rounds.

I have just come to realize that I've just lost interest in shooting rifle and have developed a new fire for pistol and my point to the OP @xd1977 is maybe you should try some rifle matches, F-class, Benchrest, ELR are just a few...Mini palma with 22lr is becoming a thing and is fun.

Someone mentioned ppl not helping at matches?, Well that's a big problem everywhere and in most every discipline, we started handing out awards after everything was picked and put away but the problem still remained with set up.

so then the MD started keeping track of who was helping and who was not and made it mandatory that everyone help at least 2 matches a month and rotate ppl.

A lot of ppl just do not understand the work that goes into running matches, set up, tear down, target maintenance, writing up stages, dealing with the range where the events are held and schedules ECT....lotta behind the scene work that goes into this. 

You have definitely poured your sweat and tears into helping the sport. its pathetic that people have not picked up on what you're doing and asked to help. Of all the people I hate most are the oens that say "I'm just here to shoot". It needs to be implied that if you attend one of these matches, you'll also learn how to 1) reset stages, 2) learn to score, 3) learn to run a timer, 4) not be an arrogant POS. 

3 minutes ago, Kwontanamo said:

You have definitely poured your sweat and tears into helping the sport. its pathetic that people have not picked up on what you're doing and asked to help. Of all the people I hate most are the oens that say "I'm just here to shoot". It needs to be implied that if you attend one of these matches, you'll also learn how to 1) reset stages, 2) learn to score, 3) learn to run a timer, 4) not be an arrogant POS. 

And ppl are just getting worse from what I've seen lately...

The OP mentioned giving up IDPA a while back.

Maybe for a little while go back to IDPA, and hit ranges you don't normally shoot at. You may find it's almost a completely different crowd. This could mean you're the new guy no one knows. You wont really know the rules and then you're also not really qualified to be the RO. 

Use this to your advantage. I'm not saying be a slack ass, but you can ditch some the the responsibility you're putting on yourself at uspsa matches. Have fun, try to relax. You're clearly suffering form some burn out that you need to work out or in time you'll probably be done with this. You may also want to work on your mental game, if you're already shooting at M/GM level then the mental game is usually what sets people apart. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

• 2 months later...

I’m in a similar boat. I met my goals last year and won my division nationally in rifle competition. This year I’ve been far less motivated to shoot. Even when shooting well, I haven’t been having fun.

I’m taking a break from long range rifle. Maybe try IDPA or USPSA and motorcycles. If I never return to rifle then oh well.

You have to set boundaries. I’m new to USPSA and competition shooting sports in general- shot my first match in February of this year. I usually run the pad, and just recently started taking the timer. I’m giving up shooting two matches I normally attend next month to take the RO class. I’m taking it with another guy in his mid 20’s. Around here I feel like we have an equal part mix of “I’m too old to do anything that helps out”, and “I’m too new I don’t know what I’m doing (and I’m also not willing to try)”. We need an influx of new blood. Same thing with setup and tear down. 

My personal boundaries are I will help out the match in anyway I can- timing, taping, scoring, and I will either help set up or help tear down. I don’t take any discounts. I try to force newer people into scoring because 1) the “new” excuse usually doesn’t work when I’m “more new” than them, and 2) it’s a way to learn everyones name. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t count the number of times I find I’m one of two guys on a 10-shooter squad out there resetting stages.

This time of year we are shooting in 110+ degrees (Phoenix).  It’s tempting to stay in the shade and BS with your buddies about your new optic while other guys tape and reset the steel.

I deal with this in various ways and ultimately the stages get reset, someone runs the clock and someone else keeps score.  I’m a certified RO and could/should run the clock more so I’m far from perfect.

I’ve only ever been aware of one person who refused to do anything to help.  Fortunately he’s not usually at the matches I shoot.