Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding problem - Tanfoglio GCE

KB007

I've made a lot of progress eliminating issues with this gun, but still have a feeding issue. About 1 in 10 rounds will seem to drive into the left hand side of the slide and miss the feed ramp and jam the slide.  Pulling back on the slide the round drops free and in most cases the next round will feed no problem.

I have done a bunch of polishing including the bottom of the slide and the bottom edge of the breach. Currently running a 10lb recoil spring, but have tried others from 9 - 13 and no real difference.  My mags are stock large frame with the GCE base pads. I have a block in the base pad that puts a little more tension on the spring.  Mag lips are all at ~.348" at the front. My rounds are 124 Campro RN with ~7.4gr WAC and an OAL of 1.16. I've tried other lengths, but they all seem to have the same issue.  Shorter will do this more often it seems.

I'm thinking this is a mag issue?  Should I try to adjust the lips to try to angle it a touch to the right? Open up the RHS lip and pull in the LHS lip?

Any other thoughts?

image.thumb.jpeg.7b88fc693f97b5417422856ba9133285.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fca16b5acfe956921176192d825968a0.jpeg

Typically need a .010 difference front to back in the feed lips for proper feeding. Just from your picture, your rounds are coming in way too low..

Edited by jubi351

4 hours ago, jubi351 said:

Typically need a .010 difference front to back in the feed lips for proper feeding. Just from your picture, your rounds are coming in way too low..

Thanks.  10 thou wider in the front I presume?

I don’t know anything about open guns but I have had similar problems with a limited gun. And the culprit was the magazines. They must be scrupulously clean with nice strong springs and I shoot a little silicone in them when I clean them in between matches, and then wipe it out.

I think the reason they are going to the left is because the front of the magazine is slope that way and some thing is causing the rounds to stick or otherwise not fully come up all the way, so then they hit the front of the magazine and slide to the left.

Edited by motosapiens

OK, so I've got a coupe of different front widths to test.  I've also taken 2 mags and pulled the springs to extend them to at least temporarily provide more tension - getting anything in Canada these days is almost impossible - but if this helps, I can extend the others.  Hoping to get out in the next couple of days to test the mag changes.

I'm running a 10 lb recoil spring right now, would it make sense to increase or decrease?  Is a stronger spring going to "help" the rounds get up the feed ramp, or would a lighter spring give more time for the slide to move and strip the next round?  

So, on Sunday I was able to run thru about 160 rounds from my 8 mags.  I had 2 ftfs both with the same mag #3. All the others worked beautifully.  I then went back to some old notes from a while back when I was having other issues and it turns out that #3 was the one that I cut off 1 coil (it was suggested by someone) and I never fixed that spring.  It now has a full length XP spring.

The 2 that I stretched the spring worked beautifully.  The other 4 with different front lip widths also worked beautifully.

I think my next step will be to get all the lips to a std width and also stretch the springs I have until I can get some Wolff (or other?) XP springs.

Thanks guys.