Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rifle primers in place of pistol magnum primers

NOSHMJ

With the current primer situation, Im looking to see if anyone used small rifle primers in place of small pistol magnum for .357mag?  Same goes for large pistol mag and large rifle for .44 mag.  Any info would be appreciated.  

SR will work in SP but large Rifle is taller than large Pistols and will not work properly without brass modifications. This argument was already discussed here. Depending on the powder and bullet weight your using in your 357 they should light them off fine. 

Hi,

Like Farmer mentioned, generally SR will work in SP but I tried Murom SRM in a SIG P320X5 and they would not ignite, not a single one and I made sure they were seated well. In a Walther Q5 about 10% failed to ignite (even by the 2nd or 3rd strike). Just FYI in case you come across Murom small rifle magnum primers.

• 1 month later...

I have always (since the early 90's) used small rifle primers in my major 38 supercomp loads (lately CCI 400s). I'm about to start trying CCI 450 small magnum rifle primers, I'm hoping they also work just fine.

Jeff

I use LR in my 44 Special all the time with Trail Boss and they work fine.

Numbers from the chronograph average 754 ft/s Extreme Spread 36 ft/s Standard Deviation 8 ft/s. 50 round test

EC2379AE-0BDE-4BC2-A781-B0EE070E7954.jpeg.8b079ab397f4faee470aa7a5d94e2cf5.jpeg

Edited by dannyd