Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

ekraus

I am puzzled by one thing  how Dillon, RCBS and Hornady are still selling equipment.

Without a decent supply of Primers and Powder.

There are plenty of bullets and brass.

There is a little powder.

But the primers are almost invisible.

Why would you start reloading or keep reloading when loaded ammo it plentiful and not to outrageious

in price.

I wonder it they ever will be plentiful again?

Primers and powder is relatively easy to get. It's just expensive.

Primers are 11+ cents after tax and shipping.

Powder is 2+ cents per round after tax and shipping.

If you tumble your own brass, then it's still possible to make rounds for ~20 cents each. Factory new brass ammo is ~30 cpr. As long as this difference exists, then there will be demand for reloading machines.

I’m wondering the same. At the start of the year, I had budgeted for a new press thinking supplies would loosen up by now. Since it hasn’t, I’ve held off. Unfortunately, since I shoot short colt in my revolver for ICORE, hand loading is a requirement. To make my primer stash last, I’ve resorted to factory loads for my USPSA CO blaster. Don’t agree with the price being reasonable since currently paying twice what I did for 9 before the panic.

So should they should shut down their entire operation because Vista Outdoors is limiting consumer sales?

The smaller ammo manufacturers utilize 1050/1100s to make ammo. 

When you can get primers, stock up. That way you can be ahead of the game in the next shortage

Edited by Rnlinebacker

You can get primers and powder, its just quite pricey now. I should be fine for few years. Primes are right now about 10-12 cents per round, used to be 3. Bought some when the crisis began and got them for something like 7 cents.  But I am not willing to spend more than this.

I'm seeing tons of primers on line.. just buy in bulk when you can.
For a specific powder use a bot or get together with a group of buddys who reload and share info when one of you finds something on your want list. teamwork makes the dream work.
no shortage of brass or projectiles..

I shoot at least 1K a month and sometimes more. I walked into a Wallmart yesterday and they had at least 10k 22's.

I was at Bass Pro and the shelves were full of 9,40, 38's and a ton of 45's. I don't mind paying 10¢ each for primers. I just hate having to buy 1K at a time.

If I could I would buy 25k I would  be done with it for 2 years. There is plenty of powder around and not outrageous.

I didn't say anything about the manufactures shutting down! What I said was.

"Why would you start reloading or keep reloading when loaded ammo it plentiful and not to outrageous

in price." You can buy loaded 9 in bulk for 26¢  and up. It cost me now about that to load my own. There are guys in my club buying 38 Super Comp major new ammo for 37¢

per. That's hard to beat!

5 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

https://www.shootingbot.com/shooting/items/primers/small_pistol

I believe Outdoor Limited does not limits for their primers, but they're pricy at 11+ cpp.

I am on that bot already. Mostly seeing SP Magnum.

I loaded all my SPM primers and now working on SR.

Kinda like the SR, they go into the pocket real easy.

To be honest I haven't chroned the SPM or SR and I really cant tell the difference.

My p320 ignites SP, SPM and SR.

MY 2011 anything.

You should do whatever makes financial sense for your situation.

Primers are out there. Yes around ten cents give or take.

And it is not just about the cost savings.

What is often overlooked by those who have not started reloading is that one of the attractions is that you can tailor rounds for your specific needs.

You can load 9mm minor right down to a safe fudge factor above the power factor floor for your particular gun.

38 minutes ago, dannyd said:

It's more about quality of the ammunition than savings money. I have loaded 191,175 rounds in 33 years and have never saved any money.  :)

Yeah, you don't really save any money, you just shoot a little bit more than you would have otherwise.

42 minutes ago, dannyd said:

It's more about quality of the ammunition than savings money. I have loaded 191,175 rounds in 33 years and have never saved any money.  :)

Impressive that you have records dating back so far. I got my first press in late 1972 (pacific O Frame) to load 30 Herrett.

Pretty much stopped keeping accurate records when I got my first Dillon in the early 90's.  I was shooting so much and the 41 mag and 44 mag were mighty expensive.

My buddy still has my first press and most of the tools I had for the Herriet.

Pacific O Frame.jpg

It's expensive because we shoot non standard rounds; shot 20,855 rounds of 30/20 Winchester (Thompson Center 32/20) if I had to buy those rounds would have kept me in the poor house.  

Like you I have been though the ups and downs of reloading; I only shoot cast bullets in everything pistol, rifle and slugs and buckshot for shotguns.

I like the process of reloading and casting better now because I can't shoot like I once could. 

Old guy at the range when I started told me to keep track; said I did easy with computer spreadsheets now beats a log book.

Now I only load 9 (plated)and 38 Supercomp (jacketed) and some 380. The 45 load is the same as I loaded 30 years ago.

I have old records but i don't use those powders anymore and the magnum stuff, forget it I have so much 44mag and 367 mag.

At my age  its a Red Dot or scope. Iron sights are a thing of the past.

I shoot 200 to 300 rnds a week, once a month 38 Supercomp and when I run out of brass I will put a new 9 barrel in my 2011.

I will go through at least 12K SPP this year.

I tried the miracle coated bullets and you can have them.

And I can afford all the stuff.

I bought al the stuff to load 223 but then counted all the loaded ammo I had and how much I shoot it I never used it.

During the pandemic I built a 223 bolt gun and shot it for a while but not for a year now.

I have been shooting a lot of 22lr, pistol and rifle. I still shoot my caplock with BP not pyrodex and patch and ball and the guys at the range hate when I bring it.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, RudyVey said:

You can get primers and powder, its just quite pricey now. I should be fine for few years. Primes are right now about 10-12 cents per round, used to be 3. Bought some when the crisis began and got them for something like 7 cents.  But I am not willing to spend more than this.

2X   I’m thinking the days of .02 cent primers and $4 a pound powder are behind us.😀 I know that’s been awhile but .10-.15 cents per primer is just too much to take especially when I was buying loaded Fed 9mm for .14 cpr back in 2019-20. 

Edited by Farmer

On 6/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, dannyd said:

Reloading typically isn't about saving money, it's about being able to shoot a lot more for the same amount of money. 😛

Edited by Tom S.

I have noted I treat a 100 rounds plastic case of ammo that I loaded the same as a 50 round box of Commercial ammo.  Meaning I will shoot all 100 rounds like I use to shoot 50 rounds.

I don't really save any money, and now you loose money shooting the reloaded ammo that way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

consolidation of companies and restrictions on Russian components.
Any body take over Remington ? and is Winchester still independent of Vista ?
Powder will be next.. Hogdon now has Accurate,,, Who's left Alliant ? VV ?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Remington SR primers in my 454 because they were touted “as the best”.  Worst crap I’ve ever tried. Had more misfires than any other brand and once they were hit they were done, no re-do’s. Didn’t matter which gun and both gave good solid hits.