Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How low can you go?

bigdawgbeav

15 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Taccom barrel on that PCC9 ? I know mine is running at 7.80lb  with stock barrel and TK Upriser. Shes a big girl for sure 😬 

Actually a Wiland barrel.  Sent them my factory barrel and they cut it down and sleeved it.  using their iron sights and it's awesome! I replaced the rear sight with a pic rail and mounted the rear there.  

2022-06-11 17.04.06.jpg

When I originally built my 10/22 it weighed 2.75 lbs.  I didn't like all the compromises it took to get there, so I scrapped a lot.  It now weighs a skoosh over 4 lbs. and balances perfectly.  So much for the conventional wisdom that lighter is faster.  For me, it was balance that did the trick.  In the first four matches with the new, heavier setup I took 7 seconds off my RFRO times.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't run 10/22's but I've got my .22 rifle right on 5lbs with an optic (rear heavy gun). I would not go any lower for my preferences. The goal is to get my JP 5 to the exact same weight once I get that. My current GMR-15 is 7lbs but I can still shoot stages as fast as my .22, just not quite as consistently. My buddy has a 3.5lb 10/22 and I feel like I have no control over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that the heavier gun actually tracks smoother for me than a lighter whippy gun.  I went from a 3.25 lb gun to 4.25 lbs and have much greater stability in my sight picture. I also have removed the comp and replaced it with the heavy thread protector and additionally added 1 oz of lead weight to the front of the stock to balance the gun.

Most people who try the guns don't even give the weight a second thought, because being balanced makes them move smoothly.

Just my humble opinion...

• 4 weeks later...