Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon questions

@Mike8623, I think you might be able to make a shell plate that will work, but the dimensions for the press window may cancel this.  I can/have loaded 45-70 using the AT 500 powder funnel.  The problem that I see is the brass and bullet lengths to be able to get the bullet on the case at station 3.  Is there enough room between the case mouth and the seating die mout to get a 500gr bullet in with minimal effort? Will it even fit?  

I am curious about your results.

You may be right. I've got all the shellplate done except the .065 rim recess on the rear of the plate, I'll get that done tomorrow a.m. I'll also take a look at the press and station 3 and determine if it can be done.  I've done a lot of thinking on that shellplate, maybe I should have taken a more overall approach to this versus the singular approach.

I just took a look at my 550 press and i think all will be ok. The 50-110 dies i am going to use are old ideal/lyman 310 dies. I used these years ago with a old handloader. These dies wont fit the dillon head right out of the box and anyone that had used these dies know that although they are supposed to be 5/8-30, that is not always true. Well mine mic at .643-30, so the lyman 310 7/8-14 adapters wont work. Im going to also have to make some new 7/8-14 adapters with inside thread of .643/30 threads on the inside. Since my lathe wont turn 30 tpi ill have to make a tap using a die and then drill and tap the inside. So a lot of work for these dies... but i have more time than money and using my existing dies is still cheaper than buying new 7/8-14 dies and im looking at 50-110, 50-70 and 45-70.

Modoc, i did just now discover that the piece right under the shellplate that i believe dillon calls " the platform" has a upper rim, diameter, that is just a tad too small to accept the complete rim diam. of the 50-110 and 50-70. 

I do see that dillon does list a shellplate for the 50-70 and you have to also buy this "Platform" piece which i assume is just a tad bigger in order to accept the rim diam. on the 50-70. I believe this piece may also accept the 50-110 rim.