Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JHP in a Tanfoglio Domina

Iggy42

Has anyone tried the Everglades or Black Dot 9mm Major Ammo in a Domina (the basic "blue" one, not the Xtreme) running MBX 170mm mags

https://www.evergladesammo.com/9mm-major.html

https://blackdotammunition-com.3dcartstores.com/9mm-MAJOR-124gr-br-100-ROUND-BAG-br-Competition-Specific-Ammunition-brREAD-DESCRIPTION-CAREFULLY-br-Not-for-use-in-standard-9mm-firearms-_p_18.html

Seems like round nose is the preferred, but I am on a limited budget and very limited time so the option to roll my own is not available to me and these seem to be the only 9mm major I can find in stock.  That said the Atlanta 147gr is also JHP....

I heard that the Tanfoglio's are not fond of JHP, but no one in the Tanfoglio sub forum is answering so I thought I would also ask here.  It is something that I just need to have the barrel reamed, or is it something else.  Trying to cost out my Open options and Tanfoglio's have always appealed to me.

Yes I know the Czechmate is basically the same, but sourcing 170's looks to be an issue from what little I can find on them.

I never had experience with that brand of ammo. But, I do have experience with a tanfo gold custom. if they are anything alike, avoid all jhp or flat nose, especially in mbx mags. Constant nose dive issues.

I know you stated you dont have time to roll your own. Sorry i cannot think of a 9 major fmj producer at the moment.

13 minutes ago, darthdively said:

I know you stated you dont have time to roll your own. Sorry i cannot think of a 9 major fmj producer at the moment.

Yeah I am yet to find someone that does fmj in 9mm major, but the Black Dot is loaded to 1.16 and the Everglades is 1.145 which is fmj territory if I understand things correctly.  I'm hoping that it addresses the nose dives associated with the Gold Teams.  I think MBX made some design changes to as well, but I can't find answers to either sadly.

I think Black Dot is using Montana Gold JHP which look rather RN

Everglades I think uses their own "Round Nose" JHP

Pretty sure I would need to have the chamber reamed, but again I can't find answers

I can't give you a Tanfo specific answer but since they are very similar to CZs I can share my experience with the Czechmate. Tuning the CM mags to reliably run JHPs was a pain; it didn't matter if it was a cone JHP like Precision Delta, a rounded profile like the Everglades, or even a flat pointed coated lead bullet; all would snag on the front edge of the barrel ramp when running 170mm mags at full capacity. I even had issues occasionally with 140mm mags prior to tuning. With the CZ mags it can be addressed with careful tuning but RN bullets are considerably more forgiving; I was never able to get my 170s to run 100% with JHPs (maybe like 1/10 29+1 starts would cause a nose dive with JHPs) so I switched fully to RN bullets and haven't had any feeding issues since (closing in on 16k rounds of round nose through mine). I certainly would not recommend anyone shooting a Czechmate pursue JHP bullets. darthdively's comment makes me think the issue is similar with Tanfos. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, regor said:

I can't give you a Tanfo specific answer but since they are very similar to CZs I can share my experience with the Czechmate. Tuning the CM mags to reliably run JHPs was a pain; it didn't matter if it was a cone JHP like Precision Delta, a rounded profile like the Everglades, or even a flat pointed coated lead bullet; all would snag on the front edge of the barrel ramp when running 170mm mags at full capacity. I even had issues occasionally with 140mm mags prior to tuning. With the CZ mags it can be addressed with careful tuning but RN bullets are considerably more forgiving; I was never able to get my 170s to run 100% with JHPs (maybe like 1/10 29+1 starts would cause a nose dive with JHPs) so I switched fully to RN bullets and haven't had any feeding issues since (closing in on 16k rounds of round nose through mine). I certainly would not recommend anyone shooting a Czechmate pursue JHP bullets. darthdively's comment makes me think the issue is similar with Tanfos. 

So if I understand correctly the hollow part of the hollow point gets caught on the feed ramp when loading out to 9mm major lengths

1 hour ago, Iggy42 said:

So if I understand correctly the hollow part of the hollow point gets caught on the feed ramp when loading out to 9mm major lengths

It happened with shorter lengths too. I never tried super short like 1.12 with Major, but I had some stuff loaded to around 1.14 that had the same issue.