Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POLL: Reloading and shooting in the same match

Chapo

Hello all, I was just driving and thinking what would it be like if there was some sort of local match, custom made, were reloading/ hand loading was incorporated with the shooting.  For example, competitors would bring an abbreviated and travel single stage with their components and make their own rounds before shooting.  Off course, parameters would be set as to how many rounds would be needed, type of powder etc.  Once those parameters are set, individuals or teams would have to make the rounds, be checked by official with case gauge and shoot them in an allowed time.  Points would be allocated for reloading teams who finished with the most accurate rounds and, off course, shooting accuracy.  I know this sounds crazy, but would be interested in knowing your thoughts....

7 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Hello all, I was just driving and thinking what would it be like if there was some sort of local match, custom made, were reloading/ hand loading was incorporated with the shooting.  For example, competitors would bring an abbreviated and travel single stage with their components and make their own rounds before shooting.  Off course, parameters would be set as to how many rounds would be needed, type of powder etc.  Once those parameters are set, individuals or teams would have to make the rounds, be checked by official with case gauge and shoot them in an allowed time.  Points would be allocated for reloading teams who finished with the most accurate rounds and, off course, shooting accuracy.  I know this sounds crazy, but would be interested in knowing your thoughts....

Like you said, it sounds crazy

11 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

This idea is worse than shooting a Glock in open

Haha seems you haven’t been around the competition world much! It’s ok though…

I've seen this done at Benchrest matches. I think it's more common in the short range stuff that I didn't do much of. It was never on the clock, the shooters who did it came with a trailer with stuff setup inside and would take the same brass they just shot back to the trailer and load it making adjustments as they saw fit based on the previous round. 

On 6/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, Chapo said:

Haha seems you haven’t been around the competition world much! It’s ok though…

Yeah I guess being a GM and a match director makes me a noob.  Go asmr your Tupperware.

I remember a stage at an L1 match many, many years ago. All the ammunition had to be loose rounds in a tin. At the start signal load the magazine(s) and start shooting.

If the confidence/skill level was high then just loading enough to complete the course of fire saved a lot of time. But if more rounds were need then it was necessary to run back to the table to grab some more.

11 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I remember a stage at an L1 match many, many years ago. All the ammunition had to be loose rounds in a tin. At the start signal load the magazine(s) and start shooting.

If the confidence/skill level was high then just loading enough to complete the course of fire saved a lot of time. But if more rounds were need then it was necessary to run back to the table to grab some more.

I was at an l1 match once and they tried to do that. It was early in my career so I didn't know any better, but luckily someone else did and explained the rules to them so we didn't have to do that crap

19 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

7 hours ago, RJH said:

I was at an l1 match once and they tried to do that. It was early in my career so I didn't know any better, but luckily someone else did and explained the rules to them so we didn't have to do that crap

That was a stage design we saw every so often in the early 1990s when the AWB was coming into play.  Some MD's thought it made a gun control point of some sort, but all it did was piss off the shooters.

If someone wants to do this the rifle folks have something called "Bench rest" match where they all get together and reload. Saw about 2 dozen doing this today (Sunday) in the berm next to us (last day of our match).

To me it's just more stuff to haul to the match sight/range. USPSA was never designed for this idea.