Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 mag loads dirty

donno

I am running 23 grains of W296 in a 4in. revolver and the brass is as dirty as anything I've ever shot before. Is this usual with 296? They are smudged almost the entire cases. tia

No, not the norm. Especially as you're almost at max load. Unless your bullets are not sized correct(undersized), and you're not getting the chamber pressures you should be getting. Or you're using lead bullets that are cast too soft.

What bullets are you using?

On 6/6/2022 at 2:22 AM, donno said:

I am running 23 grains of W296 in a 4in. revolver and the brass is as dirty as anything I've ever shot before. Is this usual with 296? They are smudged almost the entire cases. tia

Bullet weight? Primer? H110/296 needs a good crimp, good primers and preferably a heavy bullet. It’s not for sissy loads. 

What’s your primer look like? If you are an experienced loader you can probably increase the charge. I have found with 296/H110 that I usually increase until it cleans up and that will generally be the most accurate load. Inside of cases will be either like new or slightly gray. You may end up over max so your on your own with that advice. Make sure you keep track of brass and primers when you achieve that load and keep everything the same. If you change Anything back down and work back up. 

Edited by Farmer

On 6/7/2022 at 8:35 PM, donno said:

240 g FMJ with a large magnum pistol primer

Then it comes down to not using a heavy roll crimp, or your powder charge weight isn't accurate. I use 23 gr W296 and have no problems. 

If your crimp is too light, then in a chamber full of cartridges, the last ones in the chamber will have their bullets moving foward under recoil. Shoot 3-4 rounds, and take out the last 2 looking for bullets moving foward.

And how accurate is your charge weight/powder scale?