Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45-70 load info

chase214

I load lots of it, mostly with cast/coated bullets.  I use 2400/4198/Reloader 7 mostly but there are others that work well.  I will also depend what types of bullets you intend to shoot and how fast you plan on shooting them. The powders above are for mid/full power loads because when you are shooting a 400 gr. projectile you don't need to shoot them super fast.  For full power jacketed projectiles you can also use things like Varget and other similar burn rate powders.

Todays market is tough because it is more of what you can find and then make it work.  A good way to start is to decide on what kind of power level you are planning on loading for and what projectile you plan on using.

For some fairly Stout loads I used to always like h322. But as noted above, there's a lot of good powders and really just depends on what you can find. I got one of those little load books that is really just a compilation of loads from all the different manufacturers for 45-70, and it's got a ton of information in it on loads. I'm not sure if you can still get those books but if you can you might pick one up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just started loading for the 45-70, but nothing on what has worked best.   Barnes 250 and 300originals, 325ftx and Swift 350a-frames in the works.

Marlin sbl and cb models

• 2 months later...

45/70 many many different loads depending on what you are going for.
I have used lots of powders. IMR 4198 was my go to 322 wasnt as consistent for me in my Ruger #1.
With 4198 I could load 350 grain speer hot core or Barnes X bullets at full power, or downloaded cast laser casts that had same POI at 50 that the above FP loads had at 150.