Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do sear springs in 1911/2011 set or unset right after setting it for a trigger pull weight?

BoyGlock

Several times I set my trigger pull to about 2 lbs, a week after its over 5oz more in my trigger gage. Happens in my 2011s with varying brands and age of springs. After one or two resetting or retweaks, it stays put. 

Yes. I have encountered such a phenomenon as well. Because after the disassembly of this spring, the tension is released and the force increases. It all goes back to the original calibration after a week or two of work.
That's one of the reasons I threw this spring out of my 2011.😀

Its not specific to this or that springs. As said, I use different brands across my Open 2011s and every one manifested the same anomaly. I was in belief that since these springs are used for very calibrated pull on triggers they are at least consistently predictable on this aspect but Im wrong. 

2 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Its not specific to this or that springs. As said, I use different brands across my Open 2011s and every one manifested the same anomaly. I was in belief that since these springs are used for very calibrated pull on triggers they are at least consistently predictable on this aspect but Im wrong. 

A  weaken leaf spring  in 1911 behaves differently from a spiral spring

3 hours ago, yigal said:

A  weaken leaf spring  in 1911 behaves differently from a spiral spring

How do you use a spiral spring for the sear/disconnector/trigger of a 1911/2011 platform pistol?

The construction allows for a very specific spring, this one (3 or 4 leaf):

p_969302010_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, GigG said:

Do tell?

I was just not happy with the function of a leaf spring and saw in this spring a weak link in this mechanism for use in competitive shooting to use it with under 2# 

trigger .

18 hours ago, TONY BARONE said:

Most 1911 smiths use Colt sear springs. My open gun has 75,000 rounds on it with an 18 oz. trigger. Never changed the sear spring or any trigger parts never had a problem. Why change John Brownings design.

Because not everyone is able to do such a professional job as you have on your gun (18oz)  on all types of 1911 pistols and it will work reliably without problems.

9 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Without details or pictures, I call this post BS. Would love to see a 1911/2011 gun without a leaf spring. I would be all in for an 18oz permanent trigger pull!

I smell it too, across all his posts

Yeah, I did remember the Nighthawk system. It did not seem to me the poster was speaking about this, but I could be wrong. I have not heard of a light pull Nighthawk syste, however, once agin I may be ill informed.

21 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Yeah, I did remember the Nighthawk system. It did not seem to me the poster was speaking about this, but I could be wrong. I have not heard of a light pull Nighthawk syste, however, once agin I may be ill informed.

Yes. This is already progress to the 21st century. Hopefully they can  make  it  work  with less than 1.5 pounds

This  Nighthawk system mechanism works with 3.5 lbs. For such trigger p.   the original mechanism of 1911 does not need changes.😉

mine works much better.😉

Edited by yigal