Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

Production should be very interesting for the next few years: Ernest Langdon is now shooting the M&P for S&W.

I was wondering when he would start shooting again. Hopefully he'll be campaigning it in IDPA too. He's an excellent shooter, and an excellent man as well.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Production should be very interesting for the next few years: Ernest Langdon is now shooting the M&P for S&W.

I was wondering when he would start shooting again. Hopefully he'll be campaigning it in IDPA too. He's an excellent shooter, and an excellent man as well.

if the results from the S&W winter nats ever get posted, you'll see that he finished 2nd (beind phil, ahead of dave) in SSP with the M&P.

John, that's "moot" not "mute." Mute means incapable of speech. <didactic learning mode off>

The mag disconnector is an LE-only option to remove. The mechanism is simple, isn't part of the trigger linkage, and should be easy to remove. However, since it has no deleterious effect on trigger pull, I'll probably just leave mine in.

Handled one today, loved it. S&W may have a winner here.

Anybody want to buy a slicked up G34? :P

But, dude, guys, come on....that IS a Sigma trigger!!!

They may have slicked it up and reworked it, but it is the same part. Yes, I like how it feels, very SA and all, but it is STILL the same deal as the Sigma. This thing is like the evolution of what the Sigma could be, but it's definitely sharing some lineage.

I know as soon as I get one I'll get in trouble for dremeling the front of the mag opening. :rolleyes:

5" 9mm's when?

Edited by dirtypool40

The mag disconnector is an LE-only option to remove. The mechanism is simple, isn't part of the trigger linkage, and should be easy to remove. However, since it has no deleterious effect on trigger pull, I'll probably just leave mine in.

So if you have the mag disconnector installed, then you can't drop the striker at "unload, show clear, hammer/striker, holster" unless you stick a mag in the gun - right? If so, what a PITA!

John - please let us know how you like your new M&P after you've put it through the ringer.

Edited by chp5

welcome aboard, cool avitar.

For me I have the Glock and like a LOT of shooters on here, can't wait to try the M&P.

For one if you shoot a lot, the grip angle is close and can be tweaked a little.

First thing I did in the shop was look at something and throw it up to see where the sights were.

With the Glock I'd be looking at the top of the slide, with the M&P they were right there, about like an XD.

Speaking of which the XD is not a bad way to go either. Try them out, grab what works for you.

Had the opportunity to shoot the M&P at the Winter Championships at S&W last week. My take:

Nice pistol with very good ergonomics. I shot about 75 rounds of full power 40, and a mag full of a light load, all rapid fire. Excellent trigger, which surprised me greatly. This pistol is a whole different breed than any other S&W auto I've shot (which generally suck, for me). I've shot the 'Smegma' and the M&P is nothing like it. I found the recoil felt (subjectively) 'soft' and very controllable in rapid fire. Points just like a 1911. Easy to acquire sights (Novaks).

Is it better than a Glock? Future sales will determine that but, S&W has definitely produced a true competitor. Smith allowed the Winter Championships to use the M&P as a 'pick-up' gun on one stage. I was impressed that S&W's brass had the balls to do that. If the pistol had malfunctioned, all the competitors would have known. I shot the match with a S_I in 9mm. On the stage mentioned you had to shoot your primary pistol to slide lock and then pick up the M&P. They didn't let us touch the pistol prior to starting the stage. I shot my 2.5 lb trigger single action trigger S_I to slide lock then I picked up the M&P loaded with .40 Winchester White Box and double tapped two targets down zero. I was impressed.

NOW LISTEN SMITH & WESSON:

Make all parts available for repairs. I wouldn't own Glocks if I couldn't fix them and stock the parts necessary to repair them.

Make this pistol, without changing its size, in 45acp. You WILL SELL THOUSANDS OF THEM! (and I mean it).

Just for the record: I'm not a S&W 'butt-boy'. The only S&Ws I own are two j-frames.

Edited by srf

The 5" 9mm will be sometime this year. The plan is to do compacts and .357 Sig guns first. The LE market is bigger than IPSC competition, and S&W wants to do some serious hurt to Glock in LE. For that they need G22 and G23 sized pistols, and .357 Sig. (You might be surprised at how many departments, Feds aside, have adopted the .357) But the 5" 9mm is in the plans.

I think with Ernest Langdon and John Flenz already shooting for S&W, they plan to have the 5" 9mm and two GM shooters on the circuit. Add in Jerry with a 625 and Doug Koenig with a 1911, and S&W is back in the shooting team business.

John - please let us know how you like your new M&P after you've put it through the ringer.

Well one of the reasons I got the 4.25in 40. now was that I got hired as an adjunct FI for the state of Ohio in my area and I will be a student in one of the classes I will later be teaching in a couple of weeks. I plan to shoot about 1,000 rounds of full power and minor reloads.

Another reason I didn't wait for the 9mm 5in is that I already have a production gun, the PC5906, which I hardly shoot now. So I had to decide if I wanted a gun that could do both training and play with the emphasis on playing or the other way around. Since I have a production gun I thought it was better to get a gun specific for my need as a trainer and play secondary. I felt that standard length .40 was more representative of the guys I will be instructing, plus I struggle drawing long slided guns out of duty/concealment rigs. It was a tough call. Hopefully if I decide to use it in play and I'm not satisfied with down loaded .40, I can get a 9mm 5in upper. I don't compete much anymore though: a 3 gun match every now and then and that's it.

Some of the prices out there for kydex holsters are outrageous. I've had mixed results with the Blackhawk Serpa; the tactical rig was great (mag holders are awesome) but the concealment rigs let my guns rattle around too much. I can get a safariland 5186 for $33- which may work until the other manufactorers catch up. Anyone have expierence with these?

Edited by John Thompson

John, that's "moot" not "mute." Mute means incapable of speech. <didactic learning mode off>

If you remove the mag disconnect it will not be IDPA compliant if that matters to you.

NOW LISTEN SMITH & WESSON:

Make all parts available for repairs. I wouldn't own Glocks if I couldn't fix them and stock the parts necessary to repair them.

+1 Don't do the Springfield XD thing and withhold parts!

Just for the record: I'm not a S&W 'butt-boy'. The only S&Ws I own are two j-frames.

:lol::lol:

Any indication on when these will make the Production List?

Seriously, everyone is talking about this as a Production Division gun, when will it be on the "LIST".

S&W

39, 59, 410, 439, 659, 669, 908, 910, 1006, 1066, 3913, 3913L, 3913TSW, 3914, 3953, 3953STSW, 4013TSW, 4053TSW, 4006/4043, 4046, 4513TSW, 4553TSW, 457, 4506, 4566, 4586, 5904, 5906, 5946, 6906, 6946, SW99, 686P - Revolver models must be 5" models or less: 10, 13, 14, 27, 29, 586, 625, 627, 629 , USPSA: Revolver barrels up to 8.5 inches permitted

If you remove the mag disconnect it will not be IDPA compliant if that matters to you.

I talked to my IDPA AC about that. He says that if it is offered by the factory without magazine disconnector, that it is OK to shoot in IDPA. I figure if I order one without disconnector and I take delivery of it that way, I am not going to ask whether S&W left it out or if it is in the dealer's trashcan.

think someone needs to submit it..

If someone has one..they should submit the query to USPSA ASAP so it can be added..

also the question should be asked if all variants will be accepted..or do they need to be submited individually...

Since they make both variants no SO or MD will ever know if M&P came from the factory that way or was modified. For all they know you bought it from a LEO. If they don't ask I ain't telling. :P

Besides it's not like removing the mag disconnect gives you any sort of competitive advantage.