Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

The boss man and the Smith Rep took an M&P out to the range back over the holidays (I don't know why I didn't get a call??). The comments he made were very positive as to the feel of the pistol. They ran a little over 500 rounds in some drills and a simple stage and the only stoppages were due to the shooters thumb pushing up on the slide stop. Boss man figured his thumb was too familar with 1911 controls and he said he let his weak hand thumb wander up too far on the slide a few times.

I dry fired a gun at the office and I really liked the whole setup. The different grip options offered with the interchangable backstrap were a real plus.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My FLD just got one in, and I played with it a little. It feels good. It has a very solid feel, not at all like a plastic gun. The trigger is much nicer than a stock Glock or XD trigger. If a 1911 points naturally for you, so will this pistol. Mags drop freely.

I was planning on getting rid of a few guns I never shoot. The resulting funds are going to an M&P. And this is from a devoted round gun shooter. :D

All I have to do is find a source for holsters and mags...

Good points are the feel of the grip, low mount sights close to the bore axis, points like a 1911, entire upper functions exactly like a Glock, ambi slide release for lefties, and a decent trigger.

Bad points are the Ruger-like sear disconnect requiring a tool for takedown even though it is included and an ink pen will do, and the magazine disconnect safety.

My prediction is that it will sell better than the Sigma, but it will not sell like Glock.

Not a bad effort.

Edited by fomeister

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, how dense am I? I am all over this forum and have been for years and didnt see this topic before. Im on my PD"s SWAT Team and we have been looking at this gun for about 2 months. Ive shot it on numerous occasions.

Now, the T&E gun we have is a 40. I have only shot 40 factory/duty loads out of it. I really like the grip and feel. The beavertail is very nice, the grip has 3 adjust backstraps for it and the small "hump" on the sides of the gun fit very nicely to your palm and palm swells, IMO. The mag release is very easier to get to and somewhat stippled so its easy to feel. Again, the gun feels VERY GOOD in the hand and very comfortable, just a natural fit for me.

The trigger is not bad at all. The gun we have has no work done to the trigger at all and is completely stock/factory. The trigger is much better than most guns and maybe better (stock out of box) than any other stock/out of box trigger/Production gun currently available.

Eric, let me assure you (as your good friend), this gun is no Sigma. It doesn't feel like a Sigma, shoot like a Sigma or have the trigger of a Sigma. I think S&W did a pretty good job in coming up with this and if they do things right and get the right guys shooting them to push the gun, it could become very popular. Overtake Glock, lets not get carried away or go there yet, the gun just came out. That is like saying b/c the Steelers won the Super Bowl this year, they are the greatest team in NFL history. Not yet, lets take our time.

The mags fall free and almost shoot out of the gun. The gun was pretty accurate, for duty, I have not shot it off a rest or bag yet, just offhand from 20 yards and in with full power duty loads. I have received no malfunctions yet with about 500 thru it. Mags insert fast and easy and it has Novak sights so Im assuming it will take anything with a Novak cut.

A 9mm 5" would be VERY INTERESTING for Production. Reset is very nice and short. Yes it has a rail, but the rail doesnt bother me, we would be sticking our tac lights on it os whatever. Ill keep you posted when I shoot it more. Im probably going to buy one on my own cause I like it that much and that should say something cause I dont normally do that unless I really like something. Best thing about the gun is the grip, feel, comfortable grip/feel and trigger.

I got to play with one of these today over my lunch break. It feels pretty nice, to me, it feels like a cross between a Glock & a Sig 228/226. Pointability is very close to a Glock (to me atleast). Not sure if I would buy one, just yet, I think my Glocks would get upset. Overall, I liked it and hope S&W does well with it.

GlockSpeed31

Eric, let me assure you (as your good friend), this gun is no Sigma. It doesn't feel like a Sigma, shoot like a Sigma or have the trigger of a Sigma.

HOORAY!!!! 'bout friggin' time.

They had my class at the FLETC Instructor class T&E a .45 P99.

Oddly most of the class were not really shooters, so when I set to really wringing it out, and actually making comments, they looked at me like I had farted in church.

I hope this thing turns out sweeetuh. I got burned on Sigma, but I'll give them another shot. Looking for a sample..... :)

Yes, definitely look for a sample to shoot first, but not bad at all. I like it better than our current duty gun (Walther P99 DAO in 40). The Walther P99 is basically the same gun as the SW99. I like the MP much more than the SW99, in any caliber or Walther P99.

I also thought the pointability was very close to a Glock. I dont think it is that far off cause after shooting my Glocks for a while now, I really point them well and everything else just points like crap for me and I pointed the MP pretty well also.

Not according to their guys that I spoke to at the SHOT Show. It'll probably be awhile on that one. My understanding is that the 40 and then .357 SIG rollout, followed late spring by the 9mm. After that they'll do Compact or SubCompact variants. After that we may see a longer, more TACTICAL, version. Note I said Tactical, not purpose built for Production class. We wouldn't want the gun banned before it's even made.

Carry a Glock 22 daily and have put a bunch of rounds through a 17 and 22. That said, I shot a M&P last week and was very impressed. It felt real good, sat low in the hand, pointed very well, was accurate and felt recoil was mild. Really liked the gun. This is no repackaged Sigma.

Nick-

What do you think about using the 40 cal in production. I heard the 40's downloaded are really soft. I haven't shot one yet, but would be really curious how it fared in a match. Also wondering if the trigger would be good enough or would a trigger job have to be done to it. It would be nice to shoot a production gun stock for once.

TLD--

No one has directly responded to your favorable comments on S&W third generation semis, but I will.

I agree with you. Mine have all been 100% reliable and as accurate as I can shoot them. Used third genertion guns are a good value although to your point they are not very fashionable anymore because of their Traditional Double Action trigger systems. In addition, a 4" full sized stainless framed gun weighs in at approx 38 oz which seems like a brick after carrying a Glock at 24 oz.

I currently carry a 6906 and shoot a 5906 Super 9 (single action) in Limited and will shoot a

Performance Center DPA5906 in IDPA when the snow melts.

I look forward to seeing the M&P in 9mm with a 5" barrel. I really want S&W to hit a few home runs and stay in business for another 150 years or so.

I get that the guns feel good in the hand and that the bore to hand relationship is very good (read low bore axis). I have read that the triggers are heavier than the glock triggers. Those of you that carry a Glock like Nick, what do you think of the new M&P trigger compared to your Glock.

John, I recently shot a G35 loaded to minor with a 165 zero. It was extremely soft. You have to remember that I shoot the 147 Zero JHP at a 130 PF as my standard load as it was as soft as those. Surprised the snot out of me. Sweet shooting 40 minor. Still cost more to load 40 minor than shoot 9mm though, but the hole is bigger and for a gamer like me might very well be worth the extra cost.

Rick

Clay,

I agree, the 40 minor is just as soft as the 9mm. When I went to Prod about 15 months ago, I shot my G35 in Prod with minor loads to see if this is something I liked and wanted to try and shoot for a while. I then stepped up and bought a 34/17 and shot 9mm. I think I am quicker w/ 9mm and get much more consistent/better recoil out of the 9mm than the 40 minor. But the consistent recoil pattern of the 9mm is why I stuck w/ it for Prod, but the 40 minor was just as soft. I always got more of a circular, torquing recoil out of the 40 minor rather than the consistent up and down track w/ 9mm.

John and Clay,

I think the trigger is just as good or better (more like better) than the Glock, OUT OF THE BOX. The trigger is probably the best out of the box for Prod guns right now. Now, any work done to a Glock trigger is going to make it better, IMO. But Ive already heard there was talk from a few S&W shooters saying they can easily do trigger jobs on the MP. I think the trigger is good enough to shoot in matches right now, but not trick all the way though.

I got my Front Sight today. Patrick has a good article on the M&P in this edition. I'm thinking about buying one, but I'd like to wait to see if they have any production hiccups and I'd rather have 9 mm as well.

Edited by chp5

I talked with Taran Butler after the Shot Show - he'd put some rounds through one somewhere. He was very impressed. He said the hotter the 40 load, the better it handled compared to the Glock. (Sorry but I can't remember which model Glock he compared it to. But I do remember it was whatever Glock that would be comparable.)

be

I talked with Taran Butler after the Shot Show - he'd put some rounds through one somewhere. He was very impressed. He said the hotter the 40 load, the better it handled compared to the Glock. (Sorry but I can't remember which model Glock he compared it to. But I do remember it was whatever Glock that would be comparable.)

be

The trigger is very good as-is. From a short look inside it appears to be dead-simple to slick up and make even nicer without having to do any re-engineering. As I mentioned in the article, I managed to make mine (S&W isn't getting this one back) to cycle at a 97PF. At full power it definitely tracks better than my G22.

S&W specifically set out to improve on the Glock shortcomings, and where possible do everything a bit better.

They promised a 5" 9mm with adjustable sights, 17 round magazine, "soon." It looks to me like S&W has a good plan and a good product. Production should be very interesting for the next few years: Ernest Langdon is now shooting the M&P for S&W.

Nice article Patrick, just got done reading it. I havent gotten a chance to shoot minor 40 loads out of it, but only duty full power stuff as we're testing it for our Team. Nice gun though, I think it could have a bright future in Production.

Havent been able to look inside the "guts" yet as we've just been shooting it (The entire team on one gun cause S&W only sent us one), but would like to break it down more.