Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire scaled target heights

Stevetford

I just made what i feel is a great investment in some Ben Stoeger books and some of his 1/3 and 1/6 scaled dry fire targets. Reading through his Dryfire reloaded book, I see no mention of target height. I'm all set up in my basement using stands that I made, currently have the shoulders of the 1/3 scaled USPSA targets set at 5 foot just like most of the qualifiers are. This just doesn't look right to me. Is it possible the height is scaled similar to the way the distance is scaled?

37 minutes ago, Stevetford said:

I just made what i feel is a great investment in some Ben Stoeger books and some of his 1/3 and 1/6 scaled dry fire targets. Reading through his Dryfire reloaded book, I see no mention of target height. I'm all set up in my basement using stands that I made, currently have the shoulders of the 1/3 scaled USPSA targets set at 5 foot just like most of the qualifiers are. This just doesn't look right to me. Is it possible the height is scaled similar to the way the distance is scaled?

You would not put a 1/6 scaled target 10 inches off the ground. 

i use mostly 1/2 and 1/3 scaled targets. I make no adjustments for height

4 hours ago, Balakay said:

You would not put a 1/6 scaled target 10 inches off the ground. 

i use mostly 1/2 and 1/3 scaled targets. I make no adjustments for height

Yeah, I guess my comment about scaling the height was probably not the correct wording lol. What height do you normally use, I picked 5’ because that seems to be the standard for the classifiers. I’m new to both USPSA and dry fire so please be patient with me and the stupid questions. 

4 hours ago, Balakay said:

If I were going to make any height adjustments, maybe I would do it with respect to the center of the  A zone

I’ve only competed in 1 match so far and that was last year. Is there a average height the paper targets get set to on regular stages. I see the classifiers use 5’ at the shoulder pretty much standard. 

19 hours ago, Stevetford said:

Is there a average height the paper targets get set to on regular stages. I see the classifiers use 5’ at the shoulder pretty much standard. 

You're overthinking this.  There is no standard for target height placement.  Make your dry fire setup reflect that.

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You're overthinking this.  There is no standard for target height placement.  Make your dry fire setup reflect that.

Well said and certainly not the first time I’ve been accused of over thinking something. Thank you 

Very frequently, you'll see people's dry fire dojo setup in a way where every target is at the same height. So much so that if you close your eyes and spin randomly, odds are that you end up looking at an A zone. This is probably not the best approach.

Think of how you draw the perspective of a vanishing point in illustrations. Things at a greater distance should appear a little lower.

Or think of lining targets up of various heights but keep them scaled to center. It's the same concept, whatever works for you to visualize it.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

How far do you suggest standing back from a 1/3 target to simulate say 10 yards? My math says 2 yards. Does this sound right?

A 1/3 target converts yards to feet, since there are three feet in a yard.

So if you want to simulate 10 yards with a 1/3 target, stand 10 feet away.  30 yards?  Stand 30 feet away.

16 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

How far do you suggest standing back from a 1/3 target to simulate say 10 yards? My math says 2 yards. Does this sound right?

it's been decades since I took multivariable calculus however 10/3 does not equal 2

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

it's been decades since I took multivariable calculus however 10/3 does not equal 2

I’ve been averaging 4 hours of sleep a day during the week for the last month and really pushing myself. I get this way whenever I’m deep into learning something new. I swear I’m at my breaking point and that equations outcome is the result of sleep deprivation. I can’t even figure out how I came up with 2 yards. All I had to do was break down whatever range I wanted into a 3rd and I couldn’t do it. Lol sorry for the dumb question. 

Edit: I meant 1/6th target and I rounded up to 2 yards. I recall asking because I felt like 2 yards was kind of close. So I was interested in opinions on what others shoot 1/6th targets at.

Lol it just gets better! 

Edited by Twilk73