Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division, Major Or Minor?

midvalleyshooter

I can't believe no one has said... both!

I've got a 9mm trojan and a .45 standard config custom caspian. I am thrilled with the new division... this and production are the only divisions I really want to shoot.

I plan on shooting a lot more in 2006, and will probably focus on the 9mm until my speed/accuracy ratio is where it needs to be...

FWIW, in my 9mm the mccormick 10 round 38 super mags are 100% with ball ammo.

To the creators of the division - GREAT job. It is the only reason I'm shooting a 1911 in USPSA.

Edited by pangris

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 3 months or so of shooting & observing............My vote goes to minor. In the local matches I shoot at speed (lack of reloads) seems to be the way to go. I'm sure at a major match the stage designs would be more neutral. Experiences out there the same?

Seems that there are a bunch of real factors to consider - most related to how individual matches are set up..? I did a Bunch of 12 round drills with both minor (9mm) and major (.45) SS guns and for me it still seems the major works better for me. I tend to shoot a little faster than I see and the minor scoring still penalizes me more than the reduced recoil helps.

To further complicate things for me - I am going to stir my 38 Super and .40 SS guns into the mix. I love being confused.... :rolleyes:

Okay .45 acp is out for me, of the 15 1911's I have only one left in .45 and its Sig GSR - tac rail not allowed. I have a steel/pin gun in .45 with optics. I also load a 155 gr .45 acp swc that barely makes minor for static steel (8lb recoil sping). Now since the mag can't protrude, 9mm is eliminated, somebody can make some $$ here with 10 rd flush fit 9mm s/s mags. So its either wilson 10 rd 38 super mags in one of my two colt 38 supers, both have magwells, one was built in 1998 "Colt Custom" and one 1953 pre-series 70 but all revamped - guess which one shoots better. Anyway, I have a an STI trojan s/s in 9mm but again limited to 9 round (plus one to start) or 8 rds .40 major out of an STI s/s custom with flush fits - I'm going major (200 grain Zero TC's with 4.9 grains of WSF not WST makes about 168 PF). load em a litttle long and along with the Sprinco Rod, the gun shoots soft, Sprinco and Recoilmaster are legal in Classic S/S, but not Tungsten ?. For the record, my choice of mags that fit flush for 9mm and .40 are the Metalform removable base pad (anal mag cleaner) and flat steel follower models - I always get lockback from them, even with the Trojan and have the little slide on shoe for each mag also from Metalform which is soft on the hand (not the boot, that thing is huge) These mags run 100% for me, going limited 10, I have the Cobra Tripp .40 10 rounders, great mag but not allowed in C/C Class.

TY

Jon

I think people will shoot what they have..... :) I proved to myself this last Sunday that it aint major or minor that will hurt you, it is the things you screw up. For 3 out of four stages I shot against one of my training partners (him with his sti.40) and me with my SS .45. On the three stages I shot equal points or a couple over him, but time wise was behind about a reload, which was around 1.5sec to 2.0sec(he didnt have to reload, and I did). He got me good on a field course where I had to do an extra reload on a plate rack that I couldnt hit to save my A$$ :wacko: The only thing that kept me from HOA LTD that day was 5 mikes on the steel, One delta, and three Cs......If I had shot minor that day you can see how much farther down points I would have been. Granted, those are points I dropped, but lets face it......When the buzzer goes off we do the best we can....... ;) One can theorize all you want about this or that and the perceived advantages with shooting minor, but when game day comes and the buzzer goes off I will be shooting Major just because I am a competitive bastard and dont want to give away any points that I dont have to..... :lol: and believe me I will find some reason to justify building a SS .40....DougC

Okay .45 acp is out for me, of the 15 1911's I have only one left in .45 and its Sig GSR - tac rail not allowed. I have a steel/pin gun in .45 with optics. I also load a 155 gr .45 acp swc that barely makes minor for static steel (8lb recoil sping). Now since the mag can't protrude, 9mm is eliminated, somebody can make some $$ here with 10 rd flush fit 9mm s/s mags. So its either wilson 10 rd 38 super mags in one of my two colt 38 supers, both have magwells, one was built in 1998 "Colt Custom" and one 1953 pre-series 70 but all revamped - guess which one shoots better. Anyway, I have a an STI trojan s/s in 9mm but again limited to 9 round (plus one to start) or 8 rds .40 major out of an STI s/s custom with flush fits - I'm going major (200 grain Zero TC's with 4.9 grains of WSF not WST makes about 168 PF). load em a litttle long and along with the Sprinco Rod, the gun shoots soft, Sprinco and Recoilmaster are legal in Classic S/S, but not Tungsten ?. For the record, my choice of mags that fit flush for 9mm and .40 are the Metalform removable base pad (anal mag cleaner) and flat steel follower models - I always get lockback from them, even with the Trojan and have the little slide on shoe for each mag also from Metalform which is soft on the hand (not the boot, that thing is huge) These mags run 100% for me, going limited 10, I have the Cobra Tripp .40 10 rounders, great mag but not allowed in C/C Class.

TY

Jon

Jon, saddle that 1953 .38 super up and have fun! Let the old bull get out and run :D

• 1 month later...
Without having a box...

For 45..

Are the Chip McCormick magazines, with the small (3/8") bumper allowed for SS?

The base pad that comes standard on CMC magazines fits fine in the box even with Bomar rear sights. You can depress the sights, by the way, to make it fit if your rear sights are really high.

In answer to the original thread... 45 ACP all the way, all the time, Baby!

• 4 months later...

TY

Jon

One thing that I have not seen mentioned yet is the positioning of the magazines.

If this division takes off and you find yourself on a 32 round field course, how many mags is that going to take? The simple math is 4, but we all know there are times when the speedy reload is done after less than 8 rounds.

Some people don't have the waist line to support 5-6 reacheable mags for a course of fire that large. I believe the equipment rules were pulled from the 1911 Society and, at first glance, make sense but I don't think you will find a 32 round stage at one of their matches. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

I currently run 5 mag pouches for production and have used 4 of them on some stages (the 5th is a contigency mag and is almost impossible to reach!!). Taking 2 rounds away from each mag could make things tricky! Does anyone else see this as an issue?

I understand the reasoning behind the rule, but I think it's crossing the thin line of practicallity.

I carry 5 mags on the belt and 1 in the gun. Having shot Single Stack all year, in a varity of stage designs, I only went to the last magazine once on a single stage. That was because I had a couple of positions that it was more of an advantage to reload after shooting only 3-4 rounds from the first magazine.

Gary

I too have shot single stack all year and I have a 28" waist.

The last mag is in the back when I have 5 mag pouches and some matches I have gone to 6 pouches depending on the courses of fire. (Area 3 for example)

This has not been an issue for me and from what I've seen there aren't that many real small waisted people shooting this game...

Keep the mag positions as they are.

Good Luck

IF I could find a 10 round mag that actually works I might try minor... But I can't. Between 8 major and 9 minor the capacity difference is not nearly enough to make it worth it. IMHO

Assuming that you are talking about a 10 round 9MM mag Virgil Tripp has one on the way. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said he had the bugs worked out and that it should be in production by the end of the year. If there is anyone alive that can get a 10 round 9MM to work it would be Virgil. I am looking forward to it.

IIRC, if you start a match with 5 mag pouches, you cannot add a sixth one just because it would be advantageous to do so during the match..just like you cannot change holsters during the match..

start with 6 pouches and youll be OK..if they dont wrap all the way around your back...

Honestly i think it should be 10 rds regardless of major/minor.

but then again...we had that with limited 10...

I would almost bet that there is a muzzle loading divion in the works at sendro wooley :(

just my 2 cents...

Harmon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 9mm 1911 that I started useing in L10 to get a classification. I use it mainly for ESP in IDPA. I have a hard time shooting that same 9mm in SS as to me that divison was made for the .45. Its the same reason i haven't purchased a trojan .40 yet either.

On the practicality side of things. If somebody comes out with reliable 10rd 9mm mags, I have heard wilson will also, that there will be about a 50/50 split. The really fast accurate guys are probably going to be shooting the 9mms and the a little bit slower guys that are less accurate or attached to the .45 will shoot major.

Somebody going to shoot major 9 :ph34r:

Assuming that you are talking about a 10 round 9MM mag Virgil Tripp has one on the way. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said he had the bugs worked out and that it should be in production by the end of the year.

I hope you're right, but we have been hearing this exact same thing for years from all sorts of various manufacturers.....Tripp, Wilson, McCormick, Metalform, etc. It's always "just about ready, be in production any day now....."

Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

The problem is the tapered design of the 9mm cartridge. I have a hard time believing that if a reliable 10-round 9mm single-stack mag could be made, that it hasn't been done long before now.

Sorry to sound cynical and pessimistic. I hope I'm wrong!

just like you cannot change holsters during the match..

Just curious.. What's the rule for this?

I've heard it quoted before.. but can't find anything.

5.1.7 only applies to the pistol and sghts...

Major 9? Single Stack don't play that!

8 Rds. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 10mm (Major Scoring)

9 Rds .40 S&W, 10mm (Minor Scoring)

10 Rds. .38 Super, 9mm (Minor Scoring Only)

just like you cannot change holsters during the match..

Just curious.. What's the rule for this?

I've heard it quoted before.. but can't find anything.

5.1.7 only applies to the pistol and sghts...

Major 9? Single Stack don't play that!

8 Rds. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 10mm (Major Scoring)

9 Rds .40 S&W, 10mm (Minor Scoring)

10 Rds. .38 Super, 9mm (Minor Scoring Only)

5.2.5.3 maybe?

"Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the “Standby” command (see Rule 8.3.3)."

5.2.5.3 maybe?

"Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the “Standby” command (see Rule 8.3.3)."

Sweet! Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming that you are talking about a 10 round 9MM mag Virgil Tripp has one on the way. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said he had the bugs worked out and that it should be in production by the end of the year. If there is anyone alive that can get a 10 round 9MM to work it would be Virgil. I am looking forward to it.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed on this one also.

• 2 weeks later...

I too wrestled with going Major in single stack. I have a custom 38 super which cost me more to build then my wife will ever learn. Behind 3.4 gr TG and 151 gr bullett it is a wonderful gun to shoot. That said I was constantly frustrated by my inability to move up in the club shoot rankings despite practise and practise. I would be near or at the top of the minor shooters but always chasing the good major shooters.

Finally took an 45 "old" bullseye gun, welded the scope holes, added the new Novak adjustable sites with FO front and went shooting.

Lets just say I am no longer frustrated with my standing. First time out placed fifth in a field of 40+ shooters. Not great but satisfying.