Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL750 brass getting caught in first station

I have a new XL750 with Lee dies. I've tried adjusting the cam position and tried reseating the resizing die but about once every 5 cycles the bass gets caught on the edge of the die and causes an abrupt stop. I tried adjusting the seater like in the manual and even examined the seater closely and it is pushing the brass as fully into the shellplate but as you can see, the brass is slightly off center and Id have to nudge it in for it to line up. Ive seen a couple related threads on google but not much that helped. Any suggestions besides buying new dies?

https://imgur.com/a/WJBHLmP

It seems your brass is going in far enough.  Is it actually getting all the way caught or just dragging slightly while entering the die, I have some that just brush the side as they go in.

One idea is to ensure when setting up the die, lock it down with a piece of brass in there.  On the Dillon 750 die setup video they mention it can make the die slightly off if you don't.

One last thought, could your shell plate be off in dimensions?  You mention it is once every 5 rotations. Mark your shell plate and see if it's the same one each time.

Here is said video:

Edited by Edwards30

Make sure your shellplate is tight, meaning no up and down wiggle, if it's not the indexing ball pushes up one side and the brass tips outward. Second try adjusting the camming pin out, I've seen it where is pushes the brass too far in and again seems to tilt. Then again as Edwards said run the die down on a piece of brass before tightening it, or just leave it loose as I sometimes do.

11 hours ago, sharko said:

Make sure your shellplate is tight, meaning no up and down wiggle, if it's not the indexing ball pushes up one side and the brass tips outward. Second try adjusting the camming pin out, I've seen it where is pushes the brass too far in and again seems to tilt. Then again as Edwards said run the die down on a piece of brass before tightening it, or just leave it loose as I sometimes do.

I think both of those steps are important.

I would add:

1. Have the shell plate completely populated when you run it up into the dies prior to tightening the lock rings.

You can have everything set up. Then loosen all lock rings a quarter turn being careful not to disturb die settings. 

Run the shell plate and cases up into the dies. Tighten lock rings, again being careful to not affect die settings.

(That probably won't be a problem as tension will have everything pretty much locked in place at that point.)

2. Play around with the camming pin position. I found that pushing the case in "too far" results in some spring back or perhaps tilt as @sharko mentions.

You want enough but not too much.

3. I'm guessing this is a new machine so it is unlikely that there is wear in the case feed mechanism to the point where you would start having problems.

However as time goes by, thousands and thousands of rounds, the bottom portion of the case insert slider will start to wear internally where the spring seats.

Also the position 1 locator is soft and can get dinged up as time goes by.

Also: I think it unlikely your dies are the cause of the problem. It is most likely a machine set up and tuning issue.

These machines can be very idiosyncratic. Seemingly identical machines present differing problems.

10 hours ago, McTrigger said:

I have this exact issue as well. It’s random however. Seems the brass is almost pulled back a bit and the mouth won’t transition into the sizing die. 

This comes up with respect to the 650/750.

Some people have problems. I assume a lot more don't.

I've had it off and on over the years. Following the set up steps I've described has helped me a great deal.

Have you tried the set up process that has been described here?

This is how I solved this issue with my 750 before I upgrade to an 1100: Re-align the platform and toolhead, for this you need to call Dillon and ask them to send you an alignment tool (free)

Here is an example video of platform alignment on 650 from youtube, it is the same process on 750.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, hlsccsfa said:

This is how I solved this issue with my 750 before I upgrade to an 1100: Re-align the platform and toolhead, for this you need to call Dillon and ask them to send you an alignment tool (free)

Here is an example video of platform alignment on 650 from youtube, it is the same process on 750.

If it's a side to side offset you need to align it platform, but it looked like the video showed was an in and out alignment problem. You can check to see which it is by nudging the brass into alignment or watching it closely as it enters the die. After 25 years I couldn't get my 650 to align, they said send it back and sent me a all new press, without saying what was wrong. But the problem was really with tall cartridges like 44Mag or 45Colt. I've never had issues with 9/40/45ACP

Another thing, if you leave the brass in and rotating I don't know if you will ever be able to adjust the camming rod without feeding new brass.