Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI rear sight roll pin walking out

bababoris

The roll pin on my sight comes out about quarter of an inch after each stage.  I have been pushing it after i finish but i am afraid I am going to lose it one of these days.  Anything I can to to make sure it stays in?  TIA

IMG_5945.jpg

Measure the pin. Get a piece of music/spring wire of the right diameter from brownells.  Cut it to length plus a bit.  Stick it through and peen both ends to hold it in.

Edited by caspian guy

I went through a lot of this back in the day. There are old posts on this topic. 

I don't know about bending that pin; they've got a cut in the middle that prevents them from walking out. Seems like bending it would break it. 

Loctite works for a little while. 

Someone took a decapping pin and put it in there. Another buddy took a nail (carpenter's?) of some type and put it in there. 

I switched from Bo-Mar to a different brand; the other brand had "better" pins that that didn't break. I think the other brand was Champion. 

I or my smith would stake them in; it was still broken in there but it wasn't coming out. I got so fed up with all the above that for a while all my limited guns had fixed rear sights. 

Best bet is to use solid rod and either cut a little short so you can stake both ends, or leave a little long and peen the ends.  Stainless TiG filler rod would probably work well if you can match the correct size.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 6:28 PM, bababoris said:

The roll pin on my sight comes out about quarter of an inch after each stage.  I have been pushing it after i finish but i am afraid I am going to lose it one of these days.  Anything I can to to make sure it stays in?  TIA

IMG_5945.jpg

Because of your post this problem started with my gun too. 😉
Full 2mm steel pin broken in 2 places a third time .This  gun  with 15k and i use shock buffer.

2 hours ago, yigal said:

Because of your post this problem started with my gun too. 😉
Full 2mm steel pin broken in 2 places a third time .This  gun  with 15k and i use shock buffer.

Sorry to hear it.  I am going to try lock tite first and see how that works out.