Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To: Flip, Eject and Catch a round from a Pistol in IPSC/USPSA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I hear some people complain about the flip and catch, in ROing thousands of shooters and l watching probably tens of thousands of shooters over the years, I have never seen a DQ while someone does the flip and catch. Maybe it is really not an issue....

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

While I hear some people complain about the flip and catch, in ROing thousands of shooters and l watching probably tens of thousands of shooters over the years, I have never seen a DQ while someone does the flip and catch. Maybe it is really not an issue....

I have watched thousands of shooters run with guns, even a few dozen who fell and have never seen anybody killed because of it. Maybe finger in trigger guard is really not an issue….

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I've sent exactly one shooter home who flipped a bullet and had to grab for it.....swept themselves in the process.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I have watched thousands of shooters run with guns, even a few dozen who fell and have never seen anybody killed because of it. Maybe finger in trigger guard is really not an issue….

I believe a finger and a trigger guard is against the rules, but a flipping catch isn't so there's that. Also slipping and falling is not against the rules, but I don't recommend it

30 minutes ago, blueeyedme said:

I've sent exactly one shooter home who flipped a bullet and had to grab for it.....swept themselves in the process.

As well you should have

34 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

many years back saw a guy do the best flip and catch ever, but he forgot one minor detail.  in his haste, failed to remove the mag.  dunno where that round went.

I have seen this happen more than once, but without the flip and catch. I even seen an RO catch it and save a guy's match before he was able to pull the trigger

I don't do it, but anything that gets the fudds riled up is a win.

Literally everything we do in this sport, if done poorly has a potential for injury or death, F&C is not the hill to fight about.

Edited by Artemas
good thing it is not spelling contest...

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

many fudds, perhaps. the overwhelming majority of good shooters do this, and they do it safely.

If somebody is seasoned and has it perfected I could care less. Cracks me up to see a newb who can’t figure out how to clear a malfunction do it along with making sure his camera is on.😅😅

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If somebody is seasoned and has it perfected I could care less. Cracks me up to see a newb who can’t figure out how to clear a malfunction do it along with making sure his camera is on.😅😅

there’s nothing to perfect. it takes 30 seconds to learn and is imho safer than letting stray rounds hit the gravel, and WAY safer than covering the ejection port and extracting the round slowly.

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

there’s nothing to perfect. it takes 30 seconds to learn and is imho safer than letting stray rounds hit the gravel, and WAY safer than covering the ejection port and extracting the round slowly.

Based on how wild some guys get when learning it there is definitely something to perfect. Covering the port is dangerous I agree but I can’t count the number of ejected rounds I’ve seen hit gravel without incident.

Executing the flip&catch correctly requires the proper wardrobe. If you don't have one of those real fancy multi-colored shirts with everybody else's name on them, you'll look like an idiot. If you sweep yourself, or the RO, you'll confirm that initial impression. 

Rules are in place for people to make grown person decisions.  If you sweep yourself you go home.  Simple as that.  I know many seasoned shooters that do and many that do not.  They have their own reasons for catching or not catching.  Like I said grown people making grown person decisions.  Not sure why this is even a topic of discussion.  

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

Can anyone rate my flip and catches on a scale of 1-10?  I went 7/7 but may need more height as my classifier was only an 84% today lol!

maybe a 2.  you wanna impress us, do a 360 while it's in the air.