Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage comments for recent Classic Nationals

Bagellord

On 5/25/2022 at 11:32 AM, Bagellord said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing some more feedback on this.

I didn't shoot the match, but I've watched quite a few videos. Just wanted to say I think you did a great job with your stages.

Gorka's first person video does a pretty good job of showing the stages, although obviously one guy's run can't capture all the viable options. (NB to anyone else watching, the stages with the diagrams in SketchUp are Bagellord's.)

I've seen people say that Production belongs with the spring Nationals, as though there's a difference between designing "low cap stages" and "high cap stages." Even with a high-cap gun, the part of stage 12 where you shoot 16 rounds from basically one position isn't particularly interesting either. I'd say your average club MD could do a lot worse than base some stages on your work.

I hope they keep up the pattern of enlisting strong stage designers like yourself.

15 minutes ago, Ben3 said:

Even with a high-cap gun, the part of stage 12 where you shoot 16 rounds from basically one position isn't particularly interesting either.

I thought it ran much better going right to left instead, in particular with eight-round guns. The 16 rounds on the right side of the stage were still pretty close together that way, but not 'standing reload' close together.

15 minutes ago, Ben3 said:

I hope they keep up the pattern of enlisting strong stage designers like yourself.

100% agree. Bagellord's stages were interesting, and had tons of variety in plans even just on my squad.

Edited by Fishbreath

2 hours ago, JDubb said:

Staff day was way to long……. I worked stage 12 that match it gave plenty of options and you had to go left and right starting in the center.

I was wondering how 15 stages with a self-ROing squad would work out. Especially with the size of the stages. Lots of pasting when every bay has at least 26 scored rounds on it.

29 minutes ago, Ben3 said:

I was wondering how 15 stages with a self-ROing squad would work out.

I'm in pretty good shape for a senior citizen, and it was pretty long and tiring. Luckily it was hot and humid too. There aren't a ton of good options for making it less strenuous without adding another day of hotels for staff (to shoot 4-6 stages in the afternoon after spending the morning fine-tuning and proofing the stages, for example).  i think if all the squads were full, there might be enough money to do that, but the classic divisions definitely are not as popular as the modern ones.

The good news is that CO nats (3 day main match/ 2 day staff match) and the 4-division nats (4 day main match 3 day staff match) should be more reasonable length days.

13 hours ago, Ben3 said:

I was wondering how 15 stages with a self-ROing squad would work out. Especially with the size of the stages. Lots of pasting when every bay has at least 26 scored rounds on it.

By the end of the day, my squad was pretty smoked. Luckily, everyone was pretty on the ball with reset and helping out, so we moved pretty well. It was just a long day.

They wanted us to split the squad on the dual stage bays. Kinda hard with 8 people to do that… in honesty there wasn’t much thought process when it comes to staff day. You get burnt out in the first day and wish it was over already…

1 hour ago, JDubb said:

They wanted us to split the squad on the dual stage bays. Kinda hard with 8 people to do that… in honesty there wasn’t much thought process when it comes to staff day. You get burnt out in the first day and wish it was over already…

I agree splitting squads for staff was more trouble than it was worth.  But I still had fun on staff day and enjoyed working the rest of the match with great people.

Last year when we had a ghost squad I was able to go check out the vendors in the middle. I was A2 last year, and middle of upper C this year. I didn’t have time to check out what was there this year. It is what it is giving my time to work it.

14 hours ago, JDubb said:

Last year when we had a ghost squad I was able to go check out the vendors in the middle. I was A2 last year, and middle of upper C this year. I didn’t have time to check out what was there this year. It is what it is giving my time to work it.

This year, my stage had a ghost squad before lunch and then two immediately after. We policed our stage and then checked out the vendors, watched other stages for a bit, then still had like 3 hours to kill haha.

One thing actually related to the thread - I wish that there had been hard cover IPSC targets. All we had to create partials with those were NS, which is fine, but I do like using hard cover because shooters do treat it differently.

2 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

A bit off topic - does anyone know officially if any stages from the classic natz will become new 22 series classifiers?

There were several candidates - the ones with the strong/weak hand shooting and movement.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, Bagellord said:

which is fine, but I do like using hard cover because shooters do treat it differently.

100% agree.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, JDubb said:

It is what it is giving my time to work it.

That sucks. Working Nationals should be something folks are lining up to do, not something they have to beat the bushes to find people for.

10 hours ago, Ben3 said:

That sucks. Working Nationals should be something folks are lining up to do, not something they have to beat the bushes to find people for.

it is actually something people are lining up to do.