Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage comments for recent Classic Nationals

Bagellord

18 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

this year's match was pretty heavily tilted towards 10 rounds imho. the people in L10 that I'm normally close to were far ahead of me this time. There will still lots of ipsc targets and 1 handed shooting (which favor major scoring), but I think ss minor was more viable than usual just due to the stage designs. Lots of places where 8-round shooters had to squeeze in awkward reloads, or take a bit more time to be certain of hits when there was no margin for make-up shots.

Was nice to see mr sevigny back in action tho.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing some more feedback on this. I helped design and build the match, and then staffed it. We could do another thread in a more appropriate part of the site, or I am happy to take it to PM/email.

6 hours ago, WFargo said:

But about Single Stack division....  Mr. Sevigny made a great comeback ánd showed that minor is very competitive in Single Stack by finishing second in the Classic Nats..   let's start that discussion again! 😁

No, just kidding... But really great that Dave did so well, and that he's back in the game. 

Nils won it, but he's not from this planet... 

Maybe it was me and my connection, but I could not find a live stream for these nationals....  Would 've been fun to see a little bit of action.... 

Regarding streaming - Verizon altered their service in the area to better cover the racetrack. Because of that, the coverage at the range is no longer viable for livestream, though it still works for score logging luckily. They did place cameras on stages to record different angles, and it looks like they've been posting videos from that over the past few days.

41 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing some more feedback on this. I helped design and build the match, and then staffed it. 

and then handed out no-shoots to innocent senior citizens, lol.  ;)

I liked your stages alot, and enjoyed shooting with you. I'm certainly not complaining about the 10-round bias, because the same traits seem to provide more options for everyone, and more options = funner and more interesting stages.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

and then handed out no-shoots to innocent senior citizens, lol.  ;)

I liked your stages alot, and enjoyed shooting with you. I'm certainly not complaining about the 10-round bias, because the same traits seem to provide more options for everyone, and more options = funner and more interesting stages.

Oh I didn't even realize who I was talking to, haha!

I'm gonna say I thought the stages were good, interesting and challenging. Last year I thought there were 1 or 2 stages that gave a significant advantage to 10-round guns, this year I think there were more than that. This is not a complaint, just an observation. 

examples: 

Stage 6, the fastest way to shoot it had 9 rounds in the front position including the bobber. Most 10 round shooters seemed to shoot it that way. Was a bit too risky for 8 round, but there were a couple other decent ways to shoot it..... and then there was the dumb way I shot it, lol.

Stage 7 (the one I worked), 10 rounds allowed you to avoid a reload going backwards. with 16 rounds and empty gun start, almost all SS major shooters did 2 reloads. everybody else just did one going across.

Stage 9, 8 rounds in the front position, including a swinger and some mini-poppers at 20+ yards. Also 10 rounds in a tight space on the right side that included the pully-port, so SS major guys had to find a way to squeeze a reload into a step or two while doing other stuff.

stage 5, the port at the end had 8 shots including 2 mini-poppers and swinger. most SS major shooters that I saw split that into 2 positions, taking the swinger from the left side of the port. many/most 10 -rounders went directly to the port and shot everything from there.

stage 4 (3 round per target with a swinger) only favored 10 rounds if you were dumb and rushed your shot on the mini-popper and had to take makeups, like I did..... that stage hurt my feelings.

Stage 1 (all steel stage) with 7 and 8 round positions with many 25 yard minis, 8 rounds had to be pretty deliberate, and i thought it wise to break up the left side and shoot one of the arrays from the back left so as to not have 8 poppers in the port and risk disaster. with 10 rounds I would have taken all 8 from the front, and also skipped the reload moving backwards into the back left corner.

End result, 3 minor shooters in the top 16, whereas last year i think the first minor shooter was 19th.

Of course a far more important factor was just sevigny being sevigny and beating alot of very very good major shooters, and nils being nils and beating all the L10 shooters too.

Gotcha. What's interesting is that last year I felt like 10 rounds was a bigger advantage than this year. 10 rounds will always be more forgiving, especially on courses with a lot of steel or difficult shots.

Nils was dang impressive, he shot stage 2 in just under 22 seconds which was insane to watch.

I've been trying to find some videos of the match without much luck. Most major USPSA matches I can check on YouTube later that evening or the next day and watch several shooters videos, but I haven't been able to find any on this one except for the few that they put with Dave. I'd like to see what the match look like, so if anybody knows of any videos on YouTube point them out while we're talking stages, if you don't mind

6 minutes ago, RJH said:

I've been trying to find some videos of the match without much luck. Most major USPSA matches I can check on YouTube later that evening or the next day and watch several shooters videos, but I haven't been able to find any on this one except for the few that they put with Dave. I'd like to see what the match look like, so if anybody knows of any videos on YouTube point them out while we're talking stages, if you don't mind

if you want to see how to shoot poorly and wrong, I have some videos of that, lolz.

12 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

Gotcha. What's interesting is that last year I felt like 10 rounds was a bigger advantage than this year. 10 rounds will always be more forgiving, especially on courses with a lot of steel or difficult shots.

it's also possible that I just shot stupider this year. I'm very happy to have my limited gun back in my hands as of yesterday.

Maybe my biggest takeaway is that there were a lot of opportunities to save time shooting to eight, without too too many places that forced it.

Stage 1, notably, was way less of a memory stage than it looked like.

6/7 were both lots of fun, well-executed medium-length courses that yielded a few different approaches. (Unfortunately, I didn't quite execute my plans on them—took an extra reload on each by mistake.)

12 minutes ago, RJH said:

I've been trying to find some videos of the match without much luck.

I should have a match video done in a day or two. Everything's cut to length, I just need to sync up hat cam/skycam, add the timers, and do the title cards.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

if you want to see how to shoot poorly and wrong, I have some videos of that, lolz.

That's fine. I like videos from b class up and I am pretty sure you are better than that. 

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

I should have a match video done in a day or two. Everything's cut to length, I just need to sync up hat cam/skycam, add the timers, and do the title cards.

👍

14 minutes ago, EEH said:

All this talk about video and none to look at, where’s the videooo.

USPSA has been posting/sharing various vids from the match on Instagram/Facebook, so I know it's out there. Give people a few more days to get stuff edited and posted.

I know they (USPSA) did some recording on some stages, I want to see what they do with it.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

That's fine. I like videos from b class up and I am pretty sure you are better than that. 

As a senior citizen, I don't screw around with titles and sponsors and editing and crap like that. Raw vid is what you get. I mostly only take it to have something to refer to and analyze and use to  adjust my training.  I uploaded 10 of my stage vids to youtube. It only lets me do 10 in a day, so I'll do 3 more tomorrow if I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_uml6Oj_l_UIaDyF08ApBA

I shot with staff, and we shot the whole match in one very long day, and the split stages (2 stages in one bay) were pretty confusing and stressful and everyone was trying to shoot, run the timer, run the ipad, reset the stage, and mentally prepare to shoot all at the same time. Predictable dumpster fires ensued. Sadly, I have no video of the standards stage 15. I was 6th on that stage, ahead some decent shooters like Nils, Elias, Tim H, etc...  Anyway, hope this gives some idea of the flavor of the match to folks who weren't there.

Edited by motosapiens

18 minutes ago, MHicks said:

Was stage 15 the standards stage, Schmidts standards or a variation of that?

4 ipsc targets, 7 second par time.

at 21-23-ish yards. 2 on each,  reload, one on each stronghand

at 10-13-ish yards, 2 on each, reload, one on each weak hand.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

As a senior citizen, I don't screw around with titles and sponsors and editing and crap like that. Raw vid is what you get. I mostly only take it to have something to refer to and analyze and use to  adjust my training.  I uploaded 10 of my stage vids to youtube. It only lets me do 10 in a day, so I'll do 3 more tomorrow if I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_uml6Oj_l_UIaDyF08ApBA

I shot with staff, and we shot the whole match in one very long day, and the split stages (2 stages in one bay) were pretty confusing and stressful and everyone was trying to shoot, run the timer, run the ipad, reset the stage, and mentally prepare to shoot all at the same time. Predictable dumpster fires ensued. Sadly, I have no video of the standards stage 15. I was 6th on that stage, ahead some decent shooters like Nils, Elias, Tim H, etc...  Anyway, hope this gives some idea of the flavor of the match to folks who weren't there.

Thx, those vids were gtg