Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter Gen 5 Recoil Springs

GigG

6 minutes ago, GigG said:

Does anyone know if you can use an uncaptured spring in a Gen 5?

The Gen 4 has the same spring system as a gen 5 and I am using an uncaptured.  The same one I linked.

Actually, the Gen4 and 5 are NOT the same Recoil Spring Assembly.  The length on the 5 is longer, so it'll need a longer Rod.  The regular spring can be used, just on a longer rod.

Just now, Braxton1 said:

Actually, the Gen4 and 5 are NOT the same Recoil Spring Assembly.  The length on the 5 is longer, so it'll need a longer Rod.  The regular spring can be used, just on a longer rod.

I was referring to the tech in the 2 springs with the dual recoil system.  Meaning uncaptured works in both gen 4 and 5.
With Glockstore I think you can use a 17/34 length or an extended 34 length only.  I'd give them a call and see what they recommend.

This

When I was looking for an after market Gen 5 rod, this is the only thing I could find that I liked.

I have the heavy Gen 5 in my G17 and two 19X’s. They work great. I was able to tune the guns to specific ammo. 

Just get a couple Wolff spring and experiment.

Edited by iflyskyhigh

Jentra has a good offering too at a lot less money but it's also not as heavy. I've been using one and picked up a second for my backup gun but I am tempted to try out the heavier glockstore one at some point.

I have a Gen5, 34, that I put an uncaptured stainless steel guide rod in with a 15# spring.  The factory is a 17# captured spring.  I called Glock and they told me the original guide rod and spring are good for 8,000-10,000 rounds, I have over 12,000 through the gun so I ordered the new one from the Glock Store.  Works fine.

Last year I got a Carver extended stainless gen5 rod and ISMI springs at 11, 13, and 15 lbs. 

Today I ordered Carver’s Tungston uncaptured thick rod and a few different Wolff springs to go with it. I’ll see how I like the extra Weight. I also keep a Jentra captured as a spare. 

Edited by Cuz

I have the Glock tungsten uncaptured guide rod with 15lbs spring and it works great. 
The 13lb one causes the slide to be a bit out of battery sometimes so I stuck with the 15 one, can’t really tell much difference with 130pf ammo. 
if you get the glock store tungsten one make sure you get the extended length one for the 34. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, Cuz said:

Last year I got a Carver extended stainless gen5 rod and ISMI springs at 11, 13, and 15 lbs. 

Today I ordered Carver’s Tungston uncaptured thick rod and a few different Wolff springs to go with it. I’ll see how I like the extra Weight. I also keep a Jentra captured as a spare. 

How’d you like tungsten gr compared to stainless version? I’m not a fan of the 15 on spring and seems to bounce a bit for me when the slide closes. Maybe poor grip but trying to decide if I just go away from the tungsten gr and tune with springs ?

17 hours ago, Shmella said:

How’d you like tungsten gr compared to stainless version? I’m not a fan of the 15 on spring and seems to bounce a bit for me when the slide closes. Maybe poor grip but trying to decide if I just go away from the tungsten gr and tune with springs ?

I noticed a difference and like it.  I have their thick tungsten rods in my 17 and the extended one in my 34.  It's a noticeable difference.  Carver is having a Labor day sale now, normally it's 20% off all Carver branded stuff.  I try very hard to stay away from their website when these sales are going on because I always end up buying too much stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

This

When I was looking for an after market Gen 5 rod, this is the only thing I could find that I liked.

I have the heavy Gen 5 in my G17 and two 19X’s. They work great. I was able to tune the guns to specific ammo. 

Just get a couple Wolff spring and experiment.

@iflyskyhigh I'm looking for a reduced-power recoil spring for my G45 (so, same as your 19X). I clicked on the link you provided and they have the Gen 5 captured rods for the G19, but then I have a question: 

1) do I get the Wolff spring for the Compact frame or the Standard frame? I'm not sure when they list it as "compact frame" do they mean the slide, or the actual frame? Because my G45 has a compact slide and a standard frame. 

Thank you--Iliana

Here is what I did with my gen5 34 and it works. Glock Store (SKU 1231) extended tungsten guide rod. Then I got a wolff 10# recoil spring and it pairs perfectly with my 165gr 9mm at a 130ish PF. You can buy several different weight springs an see which one works the best for you.   

GS recoil springs are not right. Also, I tried GS new pure tungsten guide rod with no success, you are forced to use their proprietary springs which goes back to my last sentence.   

I get accused of shooting "under floor" rounds on occasion. I have on several occasions throughout the last year chronographed them and am always above floor.  That's how well the combination works, for me.  Oh, and a Thug Plug, that took some fitting with the medium back-strap and TT mag extenders, but that's another story.