Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Gun "similar" to a 1911?

RickT

I'm thinking about transition from my 9mm 1911 used primarily in Steel Challenge and occasional USPSA matches to Carry Optics.  The white sand backgrounds in combination with white targets and fixed focus eyes post cataract surgery can make iron sights a bit of a challenge.  I don't need anything exotic, but the grip angle needs to track a 1911 (I carry a Staccato C w/ optics), the TPW should be no more than 4 lbs, and I'd like to be able to do some tuning to allow softer loads for Steel Challenge; I'd give most weight to the trigger but don't expect it to be 1911-like.  I don't have a post-1911 brand loyalty.

It appears only DA (hammer) and striker guns are allowed in SC, might be different for USPSA

Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list. 

made the same transition. Carry the same gun.  Ended up using the Sig P320 platform for CO.  I added a manual safety and Its the closest I could find to the 1911.  

1 hour ago, RickT said:

I'm thinking about transition from my 9mm 1911 used primarily in Steel Challenge and occasional USPSA matches to Carry Optics.  The white sand backgrounds in combination with white targets and fixed focus eyes post cataract surgery can make iron sights a bit of a challenge.  I don't need anything exotic, but the grip angle needs to track a 1911 (I carry a Staccato C w/ optics), the TPW should be no more than 4 lbs, and I'd like to be able to do some tuning to allow softer loads for Steel Challenge; I'd give most weight to the trigger but don't expect it to be 1911-like.  I don't have a post-1911 brand loyalty.

It appears only DA (hammer) and striker guns are allowed in SC, might be different for USPSA

I can't tell you if there is something allowed that is similar to a 1911 since I've never shot a 1911.  Maybe the easiest answer is "something that isn't a Glock".

Do you care if it's a plastic pistol or does it need to be heavy?  Are you one of those who can't come to grips with a DA/SA trigger?

You won't get a sub 4 lb trigger without tuning in anything except maybe a CZ Shadow or Shadow 2, and you'll have to deal with a DA trigger for the first shot with those two pistols.

I found the p320 is pretty flexible and tunable. Lots of aftermarket parts.  Can get 3-4 LB trigger pull with a kit.  Slightly better with trigger job.   Lots of grips, springs, and weight options. The P320 Legion is a pretty popular gun in Carry Optics for a reason.   W/ manual safety it basically operates the same as 1911.  I added the safety so it functions like my carry gun.

Edited by jwhittin

I know the cool kids don't like them, but the XDM holds pretty similar to a 1911 and with a powder River trigger it'll have about a two and a half pound pull. Might be something to think about, might look at a canic rival as well. Both can be had optics ready. Good luck

Edited by RJH

23 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

For Steel Challenge at least I would just shoot the Staccato w/optic. Puts you in Open, but who cares? Or shoot another 1911 w/optic...

Exact where I've arrived.  We also have two Kimber HD Pro Carry II converted to 9mm, one with optic.  I may shoot that in Steel challenge and the Staccato in the occasional USPSA or IDPA match.  The Kimber actual feels better balanced than a full-size and since it's direct milled the dot is very low over the bore; I don't have to hunt for the dot with so many miles behind an iron sight 1911.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:42 AM, terrydoc said:

PARA LDA if you can find one?

All over gun broker. Oddly expensive these days though. And finding anyone who knows how to work on the triggers is rather hard. I do know of at least one shop that might know. 

The large frame Tanfoglio Limited Pro requires the least amount of transition time versus my 1911s.  I've tried CZ Shadow 2's, P320 Legions, Walthers, and a few others.   The downside is the Tanfos have spotty availability and require a bunch more tuning than a S2 or any of the others, but annoyingly I shoot them just a bit better.

I'm only an M in CO & SS, so YMMV.

I’ll second there Shadow, Shadow 2 or even CZ SP-01. I’ve mainly shot 1911/2011s for past 20 years and while the grip on CZs are slightly different I find adjusting minimal. I have less than 1k in my SP01 with full trigger parts from Cajungunworks. In single action it’s a nice soft 2.5-3lb trigger double is about 7. Then have it milled for an optic and manually drop the hammer for a DA start in CO and then use the safety the rest of the time

• 2 months later...

Get yourself a 5 inch M&P 2.0.

even the slide profile is very very similar to a 1911, just a little wider, but grip angle, presentation and all are very, very much on par with a 1911.

put a Timney trigger in it, and it will be under 3lbs with no spring changes. You drop in the trigger and a new sear and that’s it. It reliably lites off any primer I’ve run through it.

the ONLY issue you might have out of one is accuracy. Out of the box, it’s not quite to the level of a good shadow 2 or 1911, however that’s easily fixed with fitting an APEX barrel to it. I’ve installed it on two of mine and they will shoot under 2 inches as 25 with good hand loads. 

Also, just today they released an aluminum frame version of the M&P although it only comes in a full size 4.25 inch barrel at the moment. Previous 2.0 slides do interchange with it however. I think this will be a VERY strong option in the near future.