Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 - Lok/other extended mag release legal for Production?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, slyLEMONsKILLs said:

Would the Lok/other brand extended mag releases be legal for Production? With the rule change allowing replacement of small external parts with aftermarket, I wasn't sure if length of the paddle could be increased as well. 

If the rules don't mention a specific maximum dimension, then you can do what you want.

4 hours ago, Ben3 said:

My understanding at this point (sans an infamous Email From Troy) is that as long as the gun still fits in the box, you can do whatever you want.

Not everything on a Production (or CO) pistol can be changed at will as long as it fits in the box.

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Not everything on a Production (or CO) pistol can be changed at will as long as it fits in the box.

Sorry, yes. Taken out of context my statement sounds different. You can do basically whatever you want with magazine buttons in Production as long as it fits in the box.

1 hour ago, Ben3 said:

Sorry, yes. Taken out of context my statement sounds different. You can do basically whatever you want with magazine buttons in Production as long as it fits in the box.

I see what you mean now.  I commented because I've met people who do think you can do anything.

3 hours ago, Ben3 said:

Thanks for response. My short nub of a thumb could definitely benefit from the extra length 

On 5/31/2022 at 12:07 AM, slyLEMONsKILLs said:

Thanks for response. My short nub of a thumb could definitely benefit from the extra length 

Be aware that missing your grip slightly or weak hand transfer will come with added risk of spontaneously ejecting your magazine.

On 6/2/2022 at 7:53 AM, llamasabound said:

Be aware that missing your grip slightly or weak hand transfer will come with added risk of spontaneously ejecting your magazine.

With it angled up, it pockets pretty nice (installed one yesterday), but I can definitely see where that could happen. However, the ease of hitting it now compared to before, for me at least, makes the trade off thus far worth it. 

Notably, with the new point of leverage, depending where you apply pressure, the release doesn't slide through as easily or cleanly?(not sure how to describe it, because it doesn't hang up or get caught, and it still functions as intended, but not as "smooth" per se). But that's only ever now and again. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, slyLEMONsKILLs said:

With it angled up, it pockets pretty nice (installed one yesterday), but I can definitely see where that could happen. However, the ease of hitting it now compared to before, for me at least, makes the trade off thus far worth it. 

Notably, with the new point of leverage, depending where you apply pressure, the release doesn't slide through as easily or cleanly?(not sure how to describe it, because it doesn't hang up or get caught, and it still functions as intended, but not as "smooth" per se). But that's only ever now and again. 

I'm guessing that the paddle extension is allowing you to apply lateral pressure resulting in more friction between the release and the channel it rides in.

That might smooth out a bit over time as the surfaces that were previously not in contact wear each other in a bit.

Perhaps a bit of polishing could help as well?