Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Feeder Misses Shellplate

My Super 1050 .45 ACP is prone to missing the shell plate cuts with brass coming down out of the case feeder, leaving a case laying loose on the plate.  If I don't notice it, I get a bent or broken decapping pin.

This is not a new thing, but either it is getting worse or I am just getting less tolerant of it.

Is there an easy fix?  A big fix?

It has to be an isolated case, you could not automate a press that behaved that way.

Edited by Jim Watson

Is it possible the shell plate is warped?

I replaced the Dillon spring in the case feed plunger mechanism with a cut down 1911 spring that provided more push.

That seemed to make insertion into the shell plate more positive.

In fairness I know nothing about 1050’s  but does it have a case ramp thingy similar to a 650? I have to keep plenty of grease under it to keep cases from bouncing?

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

Slow cycling does help, I will just have to control my enthusiasm; not like I have to turn out a case of ammo at coffee break.

How many turns left on that spring, DDC?

20 coils. Uncompressed length is about 3.75"

I don't recall what the original spring weight was. I'm guessing 13#.

It is noticeably harder to compress than the stock spring and the case feed plunger mechanism is noticeably harder to assemble.

I will probably cut another coil or two off of it the next time I do this. I think the way I have it now is overkill.