Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cockroaches in my yard...

OnVacation

I didnt want to live in Hawaii, per se. But, the army said go, so I'm here. In sunny paradise. Hot, sunny paradise.

I can manage most the issues. High ammo prices? Dry fire, shoot airsoft. Gas prices high? Get a Sam's club membership. 

But the beetles in my yard are creepy. It's too hot to work in my garage with the door closed, but as soon as I open the garage door the bugs are crawling in. Over the car parts. Across the pelican cases. And through my crocs. 

Errrggghhhaaawww

I can manage everything else. But the cockroaches that insist on crawling over the bug killer spray, through my crocks, and up my legs during dry fire?

Its enough to result in a flesh wound from an airsoft pellet. 

And those dang pellets hurt!!!

I wonder if diatomaceous earth would help.  The diatomes gets between the insect and it's shell killing the insect.  University of Hawaii might be able to help getting amounts right for your area or disprove this suggestion entirely.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, SnipTheDog said:

I wonder if diatomaceous earth would help.  The diatomes gets between the insect and it's shell killing the insect.  University of Hawaii might be able to help getting amounts right for your area or disprove this suggestion entirely.

This was a huge help and resulted in the biggest decrease in bugs. Ended up scalping the front yard grass and doing heavy treatment of the diatomaceous earth, then reseeding and fertilizing. I think they were hiding in the lawn in the thick grass. Shorter lawn seems to be helping. We kept them out of the house, but the lawn was the source I think. Some cockroaches, but TONS of beetles in the grass I didnt know were there until I scalped the lawn.

Shall see how long the treatment lasts...

• 1 month later...

For the house, you can spread borax (20 mule team laundry booster) in the corners, in cabinets, etc. wherever bugs may hide or travel. They usually navigate by following walls to get where they're going. The borax is non toxic to people and pets, but really gets the bugs, even roaches. Some say it works better than the pro exterminator chemicals.

For flying insects, use bug spray with Permethrin on the windows, above the reach of children. Bugs are attracted to light, so they spend a lot of time on windows trying to get to sights they can see outdoors. You can vacuum up the dead ones on the windowsill and floor under the window every so often.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...