Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt clip for Commander timer

Tunachaser

I have one.  It's okay and I still use it.  I've had it since February of 2020.  The magnets fell out from repeated use, but they don't matter that much.  I just tightened the hinge to a point where it's rigid, but still moves when I want it to.  It's also gotten warped over time, but I just hit it with a heat gun and molded it back into shape.  At the time when I bought it there weren't many options.  I'm not sure if there's anything better out there for training purposes.  It's very convenient to flip up and check.

3 hours ago, clw42 said:

At the time when I bought it there weren't many options.  I'm not sure if there's anything better out there for training purposes.

Thanks, I should have asked if there were any other options, it's the only one that showed up from a Google search.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, Tunachaser said:

Thanks, I should have asked if there were any other options, it's the only one that showed up from a Google search.

Slide a thin metal plate inside silicone case of AMG timer and use a regular belt magnet you may already have on your belt...

I've been running mine that way for about two months and it works great. Initially I had a very _very_ thin metal plate and the magnet couldn't really keep it place when doing certain transitions. So, I just replaced the thin metal sheet with a slightly thicker one and now it's been working great, even when doing prone stuff.

(yes, there is a shop here in Sweden that still has the Commander in stock, weird right?)

I'd also recommend some sort of lanyard if your range uses pebble gravel like mine ... my display already has some marks in it and isn't very scratch resistant, imho :)

I don't like the belt clips.  First shooting revolver I had no place on the belt for it and now shooting open I got the same issue!

I jerryrigged an iPhone soft plastic armband with zip ties to my commander and it works like a charm.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:26 PM, SIGcurious said:

The magnet doesn't mess with the internals of the timer?  That would be my only concern ...

I have no way of backing this but I would say no based on the following;

I've had it on the DAA standalone belt mounted magnet both with and without the magnet cover since the day I got the timer and even forgotten the timer on the magnet between range days and it still works 100% ok.

• 3 months later...

On 5/14/2022 at 4:15 AM, clw42 said:

I have one.  It's okay and I still use it.  I've had it since February of 2020.  The magnets fell out from repeated use, but they don't matter that much.  I just tightened the hinge to a point where it's rigid, but still moves when I want it to.  It's also gotten warped over time, but I just hit it with a heat gun and molded it back into shape.  At the time when I bought it there weren't many options.  I'm not sure if there's anything better out there for training purposes.  It's very convenient to flip up and check.

@clw42 Fill out the contact from on the Shooterstoolbox.com website with your info and I'll send you a replacement belt clip.  The magnets you are describing were from the gen1 clip and now with the gen4 clip they are screwed in and the clip is made from better plastic that shouldn't warp. 

1 hour ago, Glock26Toter said:

@clw42 Fill out the contact from on the Shooterstoolbox.com website with your info and I'll send you a replacement belt clip.  The magnets you are describing were from the gen1 clip and now with the gen4 clip they are screwed in and the clip is made from better plastic that shouldn't warp. 

I would, but I lost my timer and the case/clip at the mid atlantic sectional this year.

A little late here and still waiting for my timer, but the first thing I do with anything with a screen is install a screen protector. Either shipping tape or regular screen protector products because our dirt very abrasive like sandpaper. 

• 1 year later...

Yes, for sure, I invested in an AMG gen2, the one with a yellow data on black background display - found 40mm Apple watch screen proctectors do the job adequately after trimming before application.

Amazon : screen protection

I like the idea of a moderate power magnet plate inside the silicone pouch - just for extra grip - I'd hate my AMG to hit the gravel while I'm trying to get a gallop on...

small thin plate magnet insert

• 5 months later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, tkss_burgundy said:

Yes, for sure, I invested in an AMG gen2, the one with a yellow data on black background display - found 40mm Apple watch screen proctectors do the job adequately after trimming before application.

Amazon : screen protection

I like the idea of a moderate power magnet plate inside the silicone pouch - just for extra grip - I'd hate my AMG to hit the gravel while I'm trying to get a gallop on...

small thin plate magnet insert

Will the magnetic plate stick to a belt mounted magnet? I thought we just used a metal plate?

I put a large washer inside the silicone skin, then used a magnet to attach to to a base on a table below the muzzle for rimfire rifle at a Steel Challenge match, then used remote start from Practiscore tablet (long press on clock icon).  Didn't need the timer RO crowding the shooter to get accurate string times.