Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Mods in IDPA CO?

GigG

I've looked through the rules and can't find either a ban or allowance for Glock aftermarket triggers such as a Timney Triggers Alpha.  Are they legal for IDPA (and USPSA for that matter) Carry Optics?

Basically do whatever you want, both sports.

Any conventional trigger is good.

Previous restrictions have been eliminated.

Caveat: Don't violate any federal laws with respect whatever they are considering to be a machine gun this week. lol...

Thanks.

Just so I don't start a new thread what about mag extensions.  I know there is a 10 round limit so on the IDPA mags I just want extensions.

Edited by GigG

1 hour ago, GigG said:

Thanks.

Just so I don't start a new thread what about mag extensions.  I know there is a 10 round limit so on the IDPA mags I just want extensions.

As far as I can tell the previous IDPA restrictions on mags have been removed. 

If your gun fits in the box with an installed empty mag then the mag is good.

There is wording to the effect of "must be suitable for every day carry".

How that plays into things is obviously and unfortunately subjective but I would be surprised if any typical aftermarket base pad caused any problems.

For USPSA, empty mags with base pads have to fit into the 141.25mm gauge.

You have to be careful here as some combinations of mags and base pads will not fit even though they are sold as USPSA legal.

If that is the case then usually they are just a tad bit over and you can do some careful modifications to make them fit.

Edited by ddc
clarification

My understanding is that an IDPA CO gun is nothing more than an ESP compliant gun with a reflex sight mounted on the slide behind the ejection port. Any ESP modifications to the gun should be good to go in CO.

Correct, and ESP now has hardly any technical limits beyond make weight, fit The Box, and lack compensator or ports.  Oh, yeah, no trigger shoe.  CO is ESP with a dot, weight limit raised to allow for that.

USPSA CO is Production with a dot.

There is surely some crossover but not 100%. Production guns can be heavier than ESP but may not be single action like ESP, which carries over into the different brands of CO.  

If you want to shoot both, something like a Glock or SW MP would work.  

Good plan. 

Equipment note: You can use your IDPA legal rig for USPSA but as far as I know a USPSA double belt rig would still be illegal for IDPA.

(Unless there is something in the new rulebook that I missed.)

Like Jim said you can go back and forth but have to change a few things to be legal.

I just shoot the IDPA pants belt rig for both. 

A USPSA oriented coach told a friend that she would have to have a double belt for his class because of liability. ??? 

Edited by Jim Watson

19 hours ago, GigG said:

That's the plan.

Good plan. But, leave the 140mm mags at home for IDPA. They load mags to 10 rds, making a 140 unneeded and the 140s won't fit the IDPA CO box.

True.

I assume for wider appeal, they increased the SSP load from 10 to 15 and the CCP load from 8 to 10.

ESP stays at 10 presumably to avoid obsoleting the many 1911s out there, and CO is based on ESP.  

CDP (.45 ACP only) stays at 8 and revolvers at 6 likewise. 

16 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

A USPSA oriented coach told a friend that she would have to have a double belt for his class because of liability. ??? 

I have never heard of this. What would be the rationale?

3 hours ago, GOF said:

Good plan. But, leave the 140mm mags at home for IDPA. They load mags to 10 rds, making a 140 unneeded and the 140s won't fit the IDPA CO box.

I did know that.  Works out well because the only G34.5 I could find was a California gun that came with 3 10rd mags. 

Per the IDPA 2017 rule book:

8.2.2.3 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
A. Trigger shoes.

And the 2022 Equipment Appendices.

A.2.4 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list)
A.2.4.1 Trigger shoes.

I believe this makes the Timney Apex non-compliant for IDPA CO since it follows the ESP equipment rules.  

That being said, I run an aftermarket shoe that's purely cosmetic on my Glocks and no one has said a thing.  I'd probably put a stock one back in if I went to a big match though.

43 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

Per the IDPA 2017 rule book:

8.2.2.3 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
A. Trigger shoes.

And the 2022 Equipment Appendices.

A.2.4 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list)
A.2.4.1 Trigger shoes.

I believe this makes the Timney Apex non-compliant for IDPA CO since it follows the ESP equipment rules.  

That being said, I run an aftermarket shoe that's purely cosmetic on my Glocks and no one has said a thing.  I'd probably put a stock one back in if I went to a big match though.

Trigger shoe doesn't refer to the trigger itself (what your finger presses against, aka trigger blade).

A trigger shoe is an add-on that fastens to the trigger blade and is typically wider than the trigger guard which makes it very unsafe when holstering or manipulating the handgun.

Trigger blades might be legal in non-action pistol sports but are definitely not OK in either IDPA, USPSA, or IPSC.

This is a trigger shoe on the left (shown on an M-14 trigger group)

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/data/MetaMirrorCache/www.athenswater.com_images_EBR_TS.12.02.15.JPG

Here's one on a 1911, obviously wider than the trigger guard

https://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/14/56/96/78/img_0013.jpg

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo