Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 Rules - Magazine carriers

clee403

So with the 2022 rules they dropped the explicit bans for bullets out and cant for magazine carriers. But, there is still the "suitable for all day carry.." which is subjective as hell. 

Question: I'd like to run bullets out with a bit of cant on my first mag carrier. Good to go? Or will varying RSOs give me s#!t? 

Edited by clee403

2 hours ago, clee403 said:

So with the 2022 rules they dropped the explicit bans for bullets out and cant for magazine carriers. But, there is still the "suitable for all day carry.." which is subjective as hell. 

Question: I'd like to run bullets out with a bit of cant on my first mag carrier. Good to go? Or will varying RSOs give me s#!t? 

It's IDPA.  Random SOs that are 3 rulebooks behind will give you s#!t.

Just tell them to show you in the rulebook...............works like a charm

3 hours ago, clee403 said:

Not only that but it appears they eliminated some other restrictions as well such as the "screws and knobs" restriction and the magazine coverage requirements.

3 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

It's IDPA.  Random SOs that are 3 rulebooks behind will give you s#!t.

Just tell them to show you in the rulebook...............works like a charm

And, as the OP said, under 8.6.2 Magazine Carriers the new rule book says “8.6.2.1 Must be suitable for concealed carry and all-day continuous wear.” How does making the SO show the specific subjective rule help here? Maybe it gets it bumped up to the MD but still just a judgment call that isn’t valid anywhere else.

Best thing is probably to ask the Area Coordinator for his opinion on the specific mag carrier that you want to use and see what he says. Then you at least have an answer that is valid for more than one club. 

5 hours ago, bdpaz said:

Best thing is probably to ask the Area Coordinator for his opinion on the specific mag carrier that you want to use and see what he says. Then you at least have an answer that is valid for more than one club. 

Does IDPA STILL not have one set of rule decisions for the entire country/world?

BTW, bullets out and suitable for all day continuous wear  https://safelifedefense.com/product/triple-mag-pouch/

My argument is that in 2017 rule book there was "concealed carry and all day..." plus specific rules against bullets out, cant, and thumb screws. So, if those had to be listed specifically they were not in the concealed carry all day clause. Therefore removing the specific lines removes those rules.

16 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Does IDPA STILL not have one set of rule decisions for the entire country/world?

How many area coordinators are there? lol...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, Racinready300ex said:

The jist I'm getting is it needs to retain your mags and be concealed, that's it. It's pretty logical to do it that way since it doesn't really matter for match performance so why worry about it so much.

All of the local MD's here got together and went over the new rules. This was also our interpretation; needs to retain the mag and be concealed, but all other restrictions are pretty much gone. Same on the holster retention screws and how low the mouth of the holster can be.

• 2 weeks later...

There's not rule in placement of mag pouches, but then they throw this in for PCC. 

"If they choose to use magazine pouches, them may not place more than 2 on their

belt which must be worn behind the hip bone as in pistol divisions."

Why did they put "as in pistol divisions"?

6 hours ago, Scooter said:

There's not rule in placement of mag pouches, but then they throw this in for PCC. 

"If they choose to use magazine pouches, them may not place more than 2 on their

belt which must be worn behind the hip bone as in pistol divisions."

Why did they put "as in pistol divisions"?

That's the rule for pistols: behind the hip bone for carriers (2 or 10 o'clock).

So, I've scoured the 2017 and 2022 rulebook. The 2017 version had this specific line for ammunition carriers:

• 8.6.2 H   Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the front edge of the carrier or magazine is behind the shooter’s hipbone.

In the 2022 rulebook this line is removed, and the only reference anywhere to the location of magazine carriers is the following:

• 8.6.2.3 Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the magazine is completely concealed.

So, while an OWB holster must still be behind the hip bone, there does not appear to be any limitations on magazine carriers as long as with your arms in scarecrow position your concealment garment covers all.

Consensus is that bullets-out, cant, and forward placement is now ok as long as concealed.

Jump in and let me know if I missed something!

Cheers.

1 minute ago, clee403 said:

So, I've scoured the 2017 and 2022 rulebook. The 2017 version had this specific line for ammunition carriers:

• 8.6.2 H   Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the front edge of the carrier or magazine is behind the shooter’s hipbone.

In the 2022 rulebook this line is removed, and the only reference anywhere to the location of magazine carriers is the following:

• 8.6.2.3 Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the magazine is completely concealed.

So, while an OWB holster must still be behind the hip bone, there does not appear to be any limitations on magazine carriers as long as with your arms in scarecrow position your concealment garment covers all.

Consensus is that bullets-out, cant, and forward placement is now ok as long as concealed.

Jump in and let me know if I missed something!

Cheers.

I missed that; I think you're right, and the PCC rule wasn't revised to reflect the new master rulebook. Good catch!

On 5/11/2022 at 5:53 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

They did away with that about 2017.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, SSGGlock said:

So can you now adjustment thumb screws? In both holster and mag pouches.

Can you have a full blown open magnet mag carrier?

8.6.1.3 and 8.6.2.1 are the rules you're looking for.

"Magnets worn on belts or in concealment garments may not substitute traditional carriers."

"Must be suitable for concealed carry and all-day continuous wear."

Thumbscrews are legal for holsters and mag carriers.

Edited by matteekay

On 9/25/2022 at 12:17 AM, matteekay said:

8.6.1.3 and 8.6.2.1 are the rules you're looking for.

"Magnets worn on belts or in concealment garments may not substitute traditional carriers."

"Must be suitable for concealed carry and all-day continuous wear."

Thumbscrews are legal for holsters and mag carriers.

Thanks