Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I didn’t lace up but still learned a lesson….

Hello all, I’m new to the forum but shot USPSA a fair amount. Last week I was at my 2nd match of the year, it was wet and muddy.  The 3rd stage was horribly sloppy and a 32rd stage. I shoot single stack so there’s usually a trail of mags behind me but not on this stage. Ran my first 8rds reloaded on the run smoother than a baby’s  bottom and promptly came to a stop mid stride with my shoe stuck in the mud…. Tried to get unstuck and just couldn’t get out until my shoe came off completely to be eaten by the earth. Me being the idiot I am sometimes, thought “well this is a stage malfunction I’m sure I can re-shoot” so I stopped thinking it was the safe thing to do. But low and behold no reshoot for me :(. Moral of the story, lace em up tight and if they come off just keep going! 

Edited by beltfedgoodness

I shot a BITBG one year, a day or so after a good rain. One of the bays was mostly fine gravel, but the back where many of the targets were set was halfway dried clay. One walkthrough to reset targets and back through the gravel, I swear each boot weighed 10lbs...and it was nearly impossible to get the stuff off. By the end of the day, the gravel and clay had pretty much turned to concrete on the bottom of my boots.

I shot a match and on this stage the start position was standing outside of the shooting area, heels touching Xs. Unfortunately they were using wooden Xs screwed to the fault line. The X protruded beyond the edge of the faultline. As I stepped back into the shooting area the X acted like a boot jack and my shoe came right off. I drew and started shooting and as I started to move to another position the RO stopped me. I was ready to finish with one shoe off but they gave me a reshoot.  It was a poor design.

The worse we ever saw was after a torrential downpour here in Texas the MD had them put straw down in the bays. By the time you got done either shooting or resetting between the mud and straw your shoes were at least double in size and weighed 5lbs each. Several of the bays were actually under water.

gerritm

16 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Does anyone else remember the Tulsa mud-bowl ?

Oh, Hell yes!

And that mud contained hi levels of chicken manure. A most unpleasant odor.

The viscosity of that mud made it stack up in strange ways.

LA Gator Classic is the reason I take at least 3 pairs of shoes to any match that is away from home. First year I shot it, it was cold, wet, and muddy... mud & hay and slippery surfaces. The next time I shot it... yep, mud & hay and slippery surfaces. 

Last time I shot MS Classic, it started pouring down while we were shooting, it got muddy and flooded in the bays quickly. Guess what... storms moving in from the East for this weekend. I'll have 2 sets of shoes & some soccer cleats for the match and a set of shoes for afterwards. 

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Oh, Hell yes!

And that mud contained hi levels of chicken manure. A most unpleasant odor.

The viscosity of that mud made it stack up in strange ways.

LOL!  That was probably worse than the matches at the old Norco range (Raahuage ?).  It was in the middle of a Dairy preserve in Norco, CA.  The berms were mostly cow manure and when it rained....OMG!  Oh yeah and the flies were terrible.  Fortunately, they had a lot of great matches and it was a good thing that ammo was so much cheaper back then, because they had an annual 8 to 10 stage hoser match that usually was 60+ rounds per stage.

Nolan

26 minutes ago, Nolan said:

LOL!  That was probably worse than the matches at the old Norco range (Raahuage ?).  It was in the middle of a Dairy preserve in Norco, CA.  The berms were mostly cow manure and when it rained....OMG!  Oh yeah and the flies were terrible.  Fortunately, they had a lot of great matches and it was a good thing that ammo was so much cheaper back then, because they had an annual 8 to 10 stage hoser match that usually was 60+ rounds per stage.

Nolan

I've been there a couple of times but was lucky it wasn't raining.