Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else having long-term taste issues after COVID?

I caught the coof twice - once was really early on and incredibly mild and then I had a bout of the Big Bad Delta around November of last year. I lost my sense of taste and smell during the latter but it eventually returned. Mostly...

I'm finding that ever since, alcohol has an unpleasant stale taste that starts at the back of my tongue and comes up through my nose. It doesn't seem to matter what type; it's most pronounced in high-ABV beers (8%+ DIPA's for example) but is distinctly present in everything from bourbon to brandy. Same gross flavor that sits on top of the flavor of the beverage. This includes my favorites, so I know exactly how they *should* taste.

I guess this might not be COVID-related but it started right around the time I had it and seems to be getting worse over time. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?  

Taste and smell effected since December 5, 2020. Same deal with the beers, not a gross taste but they all taste the same. Alcohol some I can and some I can’t taste. Food wise meat has no taste doesn’t matter what kind and that is better than it first started as it tasted like burnt wire. 
But the way I look at it I still have to eat and I still get a buzz and I am still alive. 9 days in the ICU and they had my wife say her last goodbyes but it wasn’t my turn to meet the maker. Oh and the good thing I literally cannot smell sh— 😁🏻🇺🇸

9 hours ago, revoman said:

Oh and the good thing I literally cannot smell sh— 😁🏻🇺🇸

Now that's looking at the bright side, lol. Glad you're still with us!

Edit: Misread at first.

Edited by matteekay

I was the in the 15% of people that lost their sense of smell from Omicron, in fact in was the only reason I know I had the 'rona.  Took about a week to come back but no long lasting effects.

Dean- Glad you are still with us!  I guess they didn't give you rendesivir? 

Yes they gave me rendesivir and my wife is still with me I was saying they brought her in to the emergency room before they hauled me off. Because they were not letting anyone in the hospital’s to visit. Not only did she say her goodbye’s in case I did not pull through but she asked if my life insurance was up to date 😂😂😂. Not really but it tore her up until I got back home. Now that is love and why we have been together since she was 17 and I was 18. Got married at 19 and 20. Going on 45 years and with my second go on life I don’t fear the reaper and I live each moment like it my last and I tell my wife I love her everyday. ✌🏻🇺🇸

Edited by revoman

Got it in August 2021, most foods have returned to tasting normal but eggs are still messed up. Which is a shame, I love eggs when they taste right.

The weirdest thing was that s#!t, farts, farms, sewage plants, anything in that smell category had the exact same weird smell. That's back to normal now.

Spray paints, other aerosols, nail polish, paint thinner, things like that all have the same unpleasant smell still.

Edited by TonytheTiger

28 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

The weirdest thing was that s#!t, farts, farms, sewage plants, anything in that smell category had the exact same weird smell. 

That is where I am at, not a putrid smell just a different smell and it is hard to explain what the smell actually smells like.

1 hour ago, revoman said:

That is where I am at, not a putrid smell just a different smell and it is hard to explain what the smell actually smells like.

That's me and alcohol (which is sorta half taste, half smell). It's not bad (as in sour, acrid, etc), it's just weird and kind of unpleasant. Like mildew in the way it comes up to your nose.

6 hours ago, Phoenix1977 said:

I seem to have taste issues in women lately.

Just lately...?

Dean you are a very lucky man.  Not just for your wife and the fact rendesivr blows out the kidneys of 50% of patients.  The fact it’s even used is criminal.

glad you are still with us! 

Short story about 2020, Blood clot in left leg end of November, COVID early December, kidney stones day after Christmas and then on the last day of 2020 I get scammed for $1600 on a motorcycle trailer. Boy was I ever glad 2020 was over.

As far as the Remdesivir I figured at the time it was good for Trump 😀 it was good for me. Now if had been China Joe(he is not my president) saying it was good I would have had to pass. Hell all drugs have side effects posted and driving a car can get you killed but we all drive them everyday and we play with guns 😲. Now according to some these guns are violent and are a pandemic in itself but all of mine have yet to show any violent tendencies and they have never wanted to leave my gun safe or house unless I go with them. 🤣.

Now back on track about Remdesivir I guess my other choice at the time was to cross over to the other side but I was not ready yet to many things I have left to do. Are you planning on coming to the IRC in November in Florida? Mike and I have it on our schedule to do and it is in the Free State of Florida. Will be a good time.

Dean

5 hours ago, revoman said:

As far as the Remdesivir I figured at the time it was good for Trump 😀 it was good for me. Now if had been China Joe(he is not my president) saying it was good I would have had to pass. Hell all drugs have side effects posted and driving a car can get you killed but we all drive them everyday and we play with guns 😲. Now according to some these guns are violent and are a pandemic in itself but all of mine have yet to show any violent tendencies and they have never wanted to leave my gun safe or house unless I go with them. 🤣.

Agreed, even though such talk will be the end of this thread.

4 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Due to our medical choices Karen and I are not allowed on an airplane nor eligible to enter the US.  At the moment. (not holding out any hope for sanity)

Hell just cross illegally and then request that the DHS send you to New Smyrna Beach stay 5 to 6 days call Mayorkas and tell him you changed your mind and want to go back home. Free trip all the way around courtesy of China 🇨🇳 Joe. How can you go wrong 😂😂😂🏻🇺🇸

4 minutes ago, AHI said:

But hear a constant noise in my ears. 

This is a known side affect and an acknowledged from taking the J&J vaccine.  Is that the Vaccine you received?

J&J has been severely restricted by the FDA due to blood clots as well.

The COVID 19 vaccine injuries have been severely underreported and recorded.  The FDA and CDC do not have anyone's best interest in mind when it comes to vaccines unfortunately.  Its all about big Pharma and their bottom line.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, BritinUSA said:

I've read that Zinc supplements may help to regain loss of taste/smell 

That's interesting considering the fact that the reason the original zinc based cold remedies were taken off the market was because the could lessen or destroy your sense of smell. Maybe it's a totally different formulation?

51 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The Nasal sprays may (in isolated cases) contribute to a loss of smell, they sometimes caused a burning sensation.

I’m referring to Zinc supplements (ie. tablets/pills) not a spray.

I was sorry to see them discontinued.

I found them very effective.

And I still have my sense of smell.

Although my wife may disagree with that seeing as how we differ in how many days in a row I can wear a shirt. 

No more than two weeks at the most, right?

I was told by a doctor that if I would like take let’s say an orange 🍊 and hold it in my hand and just concentrate on how it use to smell and taste then it would eventually taste like an orange. So I replied that if I took a turd 💩 and held it in my hand and imagine and concentrate that it taste’s and smells like ribeye steak 🥩 it would eventually taste 👅 and smell like ribeye. 
I now have a different doctor and no I did not try the experiment with the turd 💩

🏻🇺🇸