Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA case feeder plate squeaking in Dillon case feeder

DAA plate is working correctly but squeaks as it rotates. I think the plate is touching somewhere inside the dillon feeder bowl. But not sure where. I have it running with no cases in it hoping to find good witness marks. Anyone else experience this?

I have three and they're all pretty noisy, although I wouldn't call them squeaky.  Pretty sure the source is the clutch mechanism in the center which seems to be considerably tighter/stronger than the Dillon part.  Mine all sit a bit above the bowl surface, so I there's no contact or rubbing.

I got one last week and am having the same issue. Not a dealbreaker by any means but definitely a little annoying. On the plus side it’s a good reminder to add more brass. I will say the plate is much more efficient than the stock Dillon part. I have a 650 with a MK7. Feeding my rollsizer which has a max output of 5400 / hr it keeps up perfectly. With the stock plate I was limited to 50% output from the rollsizer. I’ll check the clutch today and see if it’s a bit to tight. 

My clutch was too tight. Jamming the plate stopped the motor from spinning. I loosened the clutch and squeaking is the same. 

I did not use the wedge. Watching the DAA vid it says I don't need it as this is an older case feeder with hi lo switch. Although I have considered putting it in. Sometimes the plate double feeds or kicks 2 pieces of brass from same drop hole. 

I just checked my plate and I could see spots on the plate that had been rubbing on the bowl.  I could also see some spots on the bowl that were obviously rubbing on the bottom of the plate.  I tried a light coat of car wax on the bottom of the plate and the squeaking is not gone.  I don't know how long this solution will work and it's just a temporary fix.  

I have three of them and never noticed a squeaking, but I just played with one on my rollsizer and if I press down on the lower portion of the plate it does squeak, defiantly rubbing on the bowl. 

Watched your vid, by the looks of it something’s rubbing hard enough to make that center ring shudder. Is it that difficult to pull that apart and look? I don’t have one so I don’t know. That would have been my first step, then put some sharpie marks on it and run it again to see where the problem is. Maybe a little beeswax, mica, lanolin??

Edited by Farmer

On 5/6/2022 at 2:57 PM, sharko said:

I have three of them and never noticed a squeaking, but I just played with one on my rollsizer and if I press down on the lower portion of the plate it does squeak, defiantly rubbing on the bowl. 

I currently have two newer casefeeders, both variable speed, one came with my 1100 and works well. The other was for a 650/750 and has a DAA plate, I don't recall, but likely it did not work as well as my other feeder so I added the Double Alpha plate.

The two speed case feeder I bought with my 650 in March of 2019 was a piece of crap. I would quit if it had more than 200 pieces of 9mm brass. Adjusted clutch many time and no help. I contacted Dillon several times and eventually they replaced the tray, but that did not help. I bought a DAA plate and it improved, but was still way sub par to either of my newer casefeeders.

I sold my 650 and the buyer wanted the casefeeder, I told of the issues and basically gave him the feeder. When breaking it down, I noticed a deep groove worn around about 1/3 the circumference of the bowl. I told the buyer to contact Dillon, but he probably will not as he is satisfied with the DAA performace.

I have used Dillon since the late 80s or early 90s and have found them very responsive an generous in their warranty parts. With the exception of my original 650 casefeeder have been more than happy with their products. My theory is that there are variations in the molded bowls, which results in inconsistent fit causing added friction in places causing a wide variation in the number of cases a casefeeder will handle.