Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Euro primers

Squirrel45

I've shot around 7,000 Murom SPP since September of last year and I haven't had a single primer related malfunction.  Not one.

I don't use borderline hammer springs in my DA/SA pistols (though I do use lighter than OEM ones) and I use only OEM striker springs in my SFA handguns

I have 10K Unis Ginex SPP waiting and I doubt I'll have any problems with them either.

Murom and Sellier & Bellot primers are both tough to seat, you have to make sure they're all the way in.  I think that's where some of the issues (shallow primers) come from.

I value reliability far, far above the lightest, crispest, trigger pull.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

No idea, but hey are harder to set off than S&B for instance.

They are somewhat on the harder side.

A firend of mine gave me this box a few weeks back :D

Ginex_IMG20220415133202.jpg

The newer ones come in regular 100 boxes ;)

Edited by xrayfk05

Hi,

I've been using Ginex primers for a while now and they are quite hard/thick as noted. Some shooters using lighter hammer/striker spring don't like them for that reason. I have not had a failure to fire in my stock Sig P320 X5 or Walther Q5 however.

They are made in the former Yugoslav state of Bosnia and  Herzegovina and there is no relation to S&B.

The picture below shows the relatively shallow firing pin strikes (mixed P320 X5 and Walther Q5) . The load was on the low side of the spectrum.

Ginex.jpg

Edited by RGA
to add the picture

I got some Murom SPP and loaded 200 rounds to see how they performed. I got two out of 200 rounds with what appears to be “a weak detonation”. They went “poo” and I thought I had a squib (it did not sound like a typical squib). I cleared the gun and inspected inside the barrel. There was no bullet stuck in it but I saw a chunk of unburned gun powder in it in both cases. I came home and checked my reloader and the consistency of charges, and could not find any clue. All seems to be normal. 

SIG X5.

Edited by jaep1911

On 5/6/2022 at 6:46 AM, xrayfk05 said:

That looks like a nice bomb waiting to happen!😬

On 5/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, xrayfk05 said:

nice-safe packaging they used ( rolleyes).  guess  the primers are a lot  safer to handle than we  have  been told if they can ship from Europe like that.

There are 3500 to a box and they don't sell them like that for over 10 years. To be honest I don't know how old the box.

The reason I got this box is a bit relevant, I got them because a friend of mine could not seat them deep enough with a Square Deal B to set them off reliably in a Tanfoglio.

A 650 or LnL AP has more leverage so I do no have that issue.

Didn't Federal have a mishap which made them switch to the overly large primer trays of today?

5 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

There are 3500 to a box and they don't sell them like that for over 10 years. To be honest I don't know how old the box.

The reason I got this box is a bit relevant, I got them because a friend of mine could not seat them deep enough with a Square Deal B to set them off reliably in a Tanfoglio.

A 650 or LnL AP has more leverage so I do no have that issue.

Didn't Federal have a mishap which made them switch to the overly large primer trays of today?

Yes have heard of the Federal mishap where supposedly a pallet full went off. Also heard of a fellow that had a mason jar full and was walking through his house with it in his hand. Something set them off and he lost the hand and part of his leg. Nothing to screw with in bulk. 

The Ginex primers I bought about a year ago came bulk packed exactly like that.

They came from Zinc Point. I don't think they carry them anymore.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bakerjd said:

Anyone use the ginex small rifle primers? I've only tried the small pistol ones and liked them. Wondering how hard their rifle ones are.

Yes I have.

They seem to vary a bit in diameter and the 223 pockets have to be swaged for consistency across various head stamps for them to work. Compared to CCI or Winchester they have a tight fit. They all go bang in my 223/5.56.

Tried them with my CZ Shadow 2 and they are too hard for a 13# hammer spring. Probably will work in a 2011.

Now the Ginex SPP work great in my CZ.

16 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Yes I have.

They seem to vary a bit in diameter and the 223 pockets have to be swaged for consistency across various head stamps for them to work. Compared to CCI or Winchester they have a tight fit. They all go bang in my 223/5.56.

Tried them with my CZ Shadow 2 and they are too hard for a 13# hammer spring. Probably will work in a 2011.

Now the Ginex SPP work great in my CZ.

Thanks. 

As for finding them. Honestly gunbroker is a good source. The prices are in line with what I've paid elsewhere for them. Around $110-140 shipped. 

• 3 weeks later...