Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm Mags - how many rounds can you get?

dkamps

What I’m seeing right now;

MecGar 18 +4 extension = 22

Are there any spring and follower combos that work to add 1 or 2?

I’m considering getting a grams spring and follower kit for the mecgar canik mags and seeing if they are modifiable to work… but figured I’d ask here as I’m sure something has been tried before.

22 is absolutely fine, but 23/24 is better!

from the Beretta forum:

"Springer will get you to 21+1,
The only 23+ 1 92series combo I have heard of is a mecgar 18 round mag body with a CZ custom/hemming basepad, plus a grams engineering follower, plus some filing/trial/error"

I'm using the Springer basepads with their spring.  21 +1 is easy... 22 +1 possibly in some, but difficult to seat.

I plan to try the Taylor Freelance Canik +4 basepads.  Another round or 2 would be nice, but I have to have reliability first.

2 hours ago, Stony Lane said:

from the Beretta forum:

"Springer will get you to 21+1,
The only 23+ 1 92series combo I have heard of is a mecgar 18 round mag body with a CZ custom/hemming basepad, plus a grams engineering follower, plus some filing/trial/error"

I'm using the Springer basepads with their spring.  21 +1 is easy... 22 +1 possibly in some, but difficult to seat.

I plan to try the Taylor Freelance Canik +4 basepads.  Another round or 2 would be nice, but I have to have reliability first.

thank you for the above quote! I was looking and searching for a while before deciding to make a new post.

I’m going to see if the TF +4’s bring me to a reloadable 22, the play with some grams springs/followers for CZ mags.

if I can make a reliable 23 I’d be really happy. If it’s not reliable 22 it is.

23 easily reloadable with Springer Precision extensions and Grams spring/follower, and fits the USPSA mag gauge with room to spare.

Got a Taylor Freelance extension that also gets 23 reloadable, but it's a bit more work to get it to seat on a closed slide.

I've read mixed reviews on Springer extensions, but every time I've used them, they work, allow max rounds in mag, and fit the gauge. Can't say that for TTI on a Sig P320 21 round mag extension. Won't fit the gauge.

Added benefit, the SP extensions are usually less expensive than TTI or TF.

1 hour ago, robertg5322 said:

23 easily reloadable with Springer Precision extensions and Grams spring/follower, and fits the USPSA mag gauge with room to spare.

Got a Taylor Freelance extension that also gets 23 reloadable, but it's a bit more work to get it to seat on a closed slide.

I've read mixed reviews on Springer extensions, but every time I've used them, they work, allow max rounds in mag, and fit the gauge. Can't say that for TTI on a Sig P320 21 round mag extension. Won't fit the gauge.

Added benefit, the SP extensions are usually less expensive than TTI or TF.

The grams spring and follower for mecgar CZ mags right? Fmcmg-11 I think. Those the ones you use?

How much modification is required of the follower?

im not brand loyal, I’ll try one of each. Probably a brass TF and a springer. See which I like more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:06 PM, dkamps said:

The grams spring and follower for mecgar CZ mags right? Fmcmg-11 I think. Those the ones you use?

How much modification is required of the follower?

im not brand loyal, I’ll try one of each. Probably a brass TF and a springer. See which I like more.

Just gotta file the follower where it engages the slide stop. I went too far and have no slide lock on empty mag, but not a big issue for me.

40 minutes ago, Carbine_Philosophy said:

In my M&P mags the Carver Custom extensions get me 23+1. For as long as the Beretta 92 has been on the market, I find the present selection for the 92 lacking.

Not sure how 23 + 1 is lacking with Springer Precision extension with Grams follower, other than no last round slide lock.

Yeah it's nice to use M&P or Glock mags and not have to change the follower, but not a huge deal.

So seems reliability is best by shaving off completely the portion of the follower that would interact with the slide lock. It has a tendency to go up and over seizing the mag in the gun.

it is still only allowing me 22 but I believe it’s due to the follower being slightly to long for the mags binding up at the mag to basepad transition area. I can fit 23 but it’s not reloadable and bulges the side of the mag with tension. 

once I get this one modified to work as a reliable 23 reloadable I’ll post how I shaved the follower. 

4 hours ago, dkamps said:

So seems reliability is best by shaving off completely the portion of the follower that would interact with the slide lock. It has a tendency to go up and over seizing the mag in the gun.

it is still only allowing me 22 but I believe it’s due to the follower being slightly to long for the mags binding up at the mag to basepad transition area. I can fit 23 but it’s not reloadable and bulges the side of the mag with tension. 

once I get this one modified to work as a reliable 23 reloadable I’ll post how I shaved the follower. 

Can't say, I got lazy and didn't feel like trimming, reassembling, checking, trimming, reassembling, checking until I got it to work and just trimmed the follower to make slide not lock on last round.