Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex vs Timney for M&P

3gunDMD

Trying to decide which trigger to get - if anyone has experience with both, I'm wondering what the pros and cons are.    I haven't been able to try them both side by side but individually they both feel great.  I tried a timney at their booth at a match and was very impressed with it.

Edited by 3gunDMD
Typo

I have 2 w Apex and a friend has a Timney. Apex has the Glock type center lever in trigger face, Timney does not, hinges like OEM M&P, but very subtle. Apex have a bit of roll in the trigger pull, little to no overtravel, Timney has a crisper break and noticeable but not bad overtravel. Using factory springs Apex pull is around 3.5 lbs, Timney around 4.

Mark

I have timney triggers in two M&Ps.  They are both 2.0 5" pro series guns and the triggers are both 2lbs even.  The CORE model I have has the overtravel screw which is really nice to eliminate all of the overtravel.  The other model doesn't have the screw so it basically has the same overtravel as stock, maybe a little less.  I'm thinking about tapping the frame and putting an overtravel screw in.  I like the hinge trigger of the timney better that the glock style.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, Beelow said:

I have combined the two. I have a timney shoe with a Apex sear. Best of both worlds. 

I am also running this set-up and find it to be the bomb. This combination does away with the issue of not pushing up the striker safety far enough before the striker is released and provides a 2.5 lb very crisp trigger in my guns.

12 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I run an Apex on my 2.0 Performance Center. I love it. I like the pre-travel before the break. The Apex doesn’t really have that

If the Apex doesn't have the pre-travel that you like, why do you love it?

Am confused.

Mark

Overwatch has a short overall trigger travel than the Apex FSS. Also I think their sear breaks cleaner. If I didn't prefer the curved shoe I would keep my Overwatch, I am going to keep running their sear with instead of the Apex. 

• 3 months later...

I have tried both and actually really like them both. But I prefer the Apex. The only thing I don’t like about the Timney was the pivoting trigger shoe. I just prefer a one piece solid trigger shoe. That is the main reason I quickly got rid of the factory trigger. 

For anyone considering installing any aftermarket sear, etc. on a new Metal Frame M&P be aware S&W changed the older sear spring and plunger arrangement for a revised spring and deleted the plunger.   Check with your supplier to be sure they know about this and that their parts work properly with the new seat spring.    I know Apex is saying they haven't certified the MF pistols yet but check with Timney and Overwatch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the all metal Overwatch Precision (OP) TAC flat-face trigger in my S&W M&P 9 ProSeries CORE M2.0 5" pistol.  It replaced an all metal Apex curved trigger, which in turn replaced the stock M&P plastic curved hinged trigger (which IMHO wasn't bad at all).  I love the OP trigger.  It's got a wide flat trigger face, with a wide trigger safety blade, compared to the thin safety blade of the Apex (and Glock) triggers.  I find the OP to have a crisper cleaner break than the Apex, with a shorter and more consistant reset, less pre-travel, no creep and almost no over-travel to speak of.  I also find the OP trigger to be more comfortable to shoot over long range sessions.  

I have the all metal very sturdy Timney Alpha (TA) hinged trigger in my S&W M&P 10mm M2.0 4.6" pistol, which replaced an all metal Apex curved trigger, which in turn replaced the terrible stock M&P plastic "flat-face" trigger.  It's got a smooth very wide face, and the hinged trigger safety is barely noticeable.  I prefer the TA trigger over the Apex, again, finding it more comfortable to shoot over long range sessions.  My TA trigger breaks at 90° (nice), it's got less pre-travel than the Apex, and no creep.  It does have some over-travel, but it's less than 2mm, about the thickness of a dime.  

Sorry, but I don't have a trigger-pull guage.  

Overall, I prefer the OP TAC trigger to the TA trigger, and clearly both over the Apex curved trigger.  Too bad OP doesn't (yet) make this TAC trigger for the S&W M&P 10mm Auto and / or 45 ACP.  

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Good things!  👍 

S&W M&P 10mm OR M2.0 4.6'' MTS w Timney Alpha (1).jpg

S&W M&P 9 ProSeries CORE M2.0 5'' MTS w OP TAC Flatface Trigger (left).jpg

Edited by JPGurgs

• 1 month later...

Can't speak about Timney or Overwatch, but have an Apex metal curved forward set in my carry/IDPA 2.0 Compact. Crisp 3.5 lbs trigger pull. With the very light weight pre travel, the actual break is not a surprise, so feel comfortable as a carry trigger. 

I use the timney trigger on my carry guns but I don't put in the timney sear.  I put the pro series sear in which was left over after putting the complete timney in the competition guns.  It makes a very nice 4lb trigger.  The timney sear is right at 2lbs which is too light for carry.

6 hours ago, Hammerman said:

I use the timney trigger on my carry guns but I don't put in the timney sear.  I put the pro series sear in which was left over after putting the complete timney in the competition guns.  It makes a very nice 4lb trigger.  The timney sear is right at 2lbs which is too light for carry.

I agree.  But the timny pre travel which is left on the trigger makes it nice and safe for  carry IMO

And when it comes to match shooting, I could grab the gun and pull the trigger right to the wall without it going off 100 times out of 100. Very smooth and predictable