Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jager Guide Rod 34.5 and Wolff Springs

hermes_actual

I have Heavy Jager's in my G19X, G19X Parker Mountain Machine Gucci model, and G17 G5.

Had to experiment a little as Wolff spring rates seem to differ a little when used in Gen 5 vs Gen 3, but after a little tinkering all good.

I think when they say for Gen 3 only, Wolff is just letting your average Joe know that you can't just drop a regular guide rod and spring in Gen 4 or 5.

I have no scientific proof, just anecdotal paper and chrono proof,  but I've found spring rates can after effect accuracy and SD / ES quite a bit, depending on firearm and load.

I'm guessing it has to do with lock up time and pressure curve.

Anyway, work good, last long time.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

I have Heavy Jager's in my G19X, G19X Parker Mountain Machine Gucci model, and G17 G5.

Had to experiment a little as Wolff spring rates seem to differ a little when used in Gen 5 vs Gen 3, but after a little tinkering all good.

I think when they say for Gen 3 only, Wolff is just letting your average Joe know that you can't just drop a regular guide rod and spring in Gen 4 or 5.

I have no scientific proof, just anecdotal paper and chrono proof,  but I've found spring rates can after effect accuracy and SD / ES quite a bit, depending on firearm and load.

I'm guessing it has to do with lock up time and pressure curve.

Anyway, work good, last long time.

The Jager captured Gen 3 guide rod compresses the spring right at 3” whereas the Gen 5 is about 3.25”. It seems like the tinkering you did may be related to this difference? I don’t recall the name for the piece that keeps the spring captured, but seems logical that it could be modified to extend 1/4” more to compress the spring the same as in the Gen 3. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2022 at 10:10 AM, hermes_actual said:

The Jager captured Gen 3 guide rod compresses the spring right at 3” whereas the Gen 5 is about 3.25”. It seems like the tinkering you did may be related to this difference? I don’t recall the name for the piece that keeps the spring captured, but seems logical that it could be modified to extend 1/4” more to compress the spring the same as in the Gen 3. 

I've had some out of battery malfunctions (after reloading typically) with 13# Wolff springs. I re-designed the capture washer(?) to compress the spring 0.25" more (Gen 3 compression length). A friend with a CNC router kindly made the new part which I'll test this weekend.

nQg6WVLl.jpg5Nqohz2l.jpg