Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Reach Reduction Kit; dead trigger after install, specifically after putting the slide back on

RealBACONATOR2

Hi all,

I installed the shadow 2 reach reduction kit, but running into an issue. When I put everything back together except the slide, everything works. But when I put the slide back on (and depress the trigger bar in the process) the trigger won't release the hammer any more. I have to take out the sear cage and put it back in to reset.

I think it has something to do with the trigger bar interfacing with the sear, but not sure.

The disconnector needs to be fitted. File down the circled part. I just flattened out the hump. Just make sure the surface doesn't have any grooves or you'll feel it with every trigger press.

Screenshot_20220428-161735.png.145e2754e2ea81e152c7ba1efcd14d90.png

Edited by CClassForLife
Better instructions

e mail your kit supplier.

I had an issue with my CGW RRK last year. CGW responded in less than 12 hours (on a Sunday at that!). I needed to do what Cclass suggested with mine because the trigger wold not reset, however I had to take off more material than I thought I had too. I think your issue may be a slightly different one. 

When you rack the slide to set the trigger to SA, I'm assuming it doesn't work properly. However, if you put just a little downwards pressure on the hammer, it properly resets and the trigger should now work. If so, then it's the disconnector and it requires more fitting.

Compare the CGW disconnector to the stock disconnector. The stock one is noticeably thinner. While this does not necessarily give one liberty to file down the CGW to the same geometry, it did suggest to me that I could file a decent amount off. Normally this process requires filing off a few thou, putting everything back together, testing it, and repeating a few times.

6 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

When you rack the slide to set the trigger to SA, I'm assuming it doesn't work properly. However, if you put just a little downwards pressure on the hammer, it properly resets and the trigger should now work. If so, then it's the disconnector and it requires more fitting.

Compare the CGW disconnector to the stock disconnector. The stock one is noticeably thinner. While this does not necessarily give one liberty to file down the CGW to the same geometry, it did suggest to me that I could file a decent amount off. Normally this process requires filing off a few thou, putting everything back together, testing it, and repeating a few times.

Thanks for the reply, but pushing on the hammer any direction doesn't seem to help. When the slide is racked, the trigger bar gets lodged lower than normal, and sticks there, breaking contact with the sear and prevents the hammer from dropping. I'll post two photos, the first is "normal" the second is this "stuck" state. I'm only able to alleviate it by removing the sear cage.

triggerbarsear1.jpg

triggerbarsear2.jpg

Yeah I have been emailing with GCW, they don't seem to know what's going on either. They did say to check the trigger bar springs, and they are correctly seated under the trigger bar. Checked the tension as well and when placed beside the trigger bar, rest near the top.

I imagine it has something to do with some profile on the disconnector just jamming into place with the trigger bar; since the stock disconnector doesn't do this.

Seems like it could be. 
This sounds weird but put it together and try all the same test with the gun on different angles. 
upside down , pointed straight up. 
see if you can get the disco to swing a little and press on the hammer and see if it frees the sear

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter

Watched your video

4 hours ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

I imagine it has something to do with some profile on the disconnector just jamming into place with the trigger bar; since the stock disconnector doesn't do this.

Yes this is very likely the problem.

While the disco can be dropped in sometimes it needs to be fitted to match you trigger bar.

As everyone has stated, make sure trigger bar spring is correct, then since it doesn't drop from SA you will have to take some material off the back side of the disco. The disco is preventing the trigger bar from pushing the sear open.

Also did you polish the back side of the disco where the trigger bar rides on? Making it smoother may help.

If you want to test just the SA, then remove the disco, cock the hammer and see if the trigger bar pushes the sear and releases the hammer. 

Just a couple of ideas. 

Edited by HesedTech

So finally fixed the problem. It was the main surface of the disconnector that had to be filed down A LOT.

https://cdn1.cajungunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/07075054/How-to-adjust-single-action-reset-disconnector-timing.pdf

I guess this specific symptom wasn't one of the common ones, but CGW maybe just makes the disconnectors a bit too thick.

• 6 months later...

I had the issue of getting a dead trigger when you rack the slide to SA.  I filed down the main surface of the disconnector shown in red.  I had to take off A LOT.  Much more than I was expecting.  Don't be afraid to file a lot off if the first you times you try and it doesn't help.  I was using 80 grit sandpaper followed by 1000 to smooth it by the end.  I probably disassembled, filed and reassembled about 50 times. 

Thanks everyone for posting about this topic.  It saved me from sending in my gun to CGW for gunsmithing!

Here's another link I found helpful:  

image.png.228b01dc2911113b04d4e3aaf669f33e.png